Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We meant well! Honest!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Shields Replace Armor?
Yes! Keep it like it is! I love it! 54 41.86%
Yes and No, Use both systems for different classes. 36 27.91%
No! Give us back our armor system! 32 24.81%
Yes, but only for Vanu armors. 7 5.43%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-16, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

Re: Shields Replacing Armor - Good or Bad Change?

Originally Posted by WiteBeam View Post
I don't want a Halo type rechargable shield. I liked how in PS if you got someone down to an ounce of life, you could hunt them down like a scared little rabbit. I wouldn't want anyone to be able to get shot and just hide behind a wall waiting to get health back. Whats wrong with the damn glue and med certs? Why do we have to be like all these console games?
Except with Medic/Engineer that's precisely what everyone in PS did. Having to use an armor repair and health repair "weapon" doesn't make it any different.

Now it's just less annoying.
Old 2012-03-16, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
RNFB
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by DeeTwoEh View Post
Was this confirmed? Did I miss something?
http://www.planetside2.com/news/mediccommlink2012
Using a concentrated beam of nanites
Old 2012-03-16, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
http://www.planetside2.com/news/mediccommlink2012
Using a concentrated beam of nanites
You got it wrong. It explains what the medapp is and how exactly it heals. PlanetSide always went for explanation of the wierd things. I mean, I think they're the only MMO to actually explain respawn...

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-03-16, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
CutterJohn
Colonel

The only purpose infantry armor really served, and the reason it existed, was to add more hitpoints to infantry when engaged by antivehicle weapons, but far better methods of getting that result have been developed in the past ten years.

Armor is well rid of. It was a clunky mechanic.

Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-03-16, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I got myself a new signature quote...

Old 2012-03-16, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
fod
Master Sergeant

i dont like anything that regenerates

i would prefer the armor system

the regen systems is one of the the reasons i DONT play bf3 anymore - it makes medics and engineers almost useless (for repair)

Last edited by fod; 2012-03-16 at 05:57 PM.
Old 2012-03-16, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
MooK
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
I'm not really a fan of recharging shields; I liked that there was some teamwork involved with repairing and healing other players. Now it's sit in one spot waiting for your shield to recharge, drop a med box, and go.

I'd have to see it in game first to really judge it.
This. I believe it pulls away from teamwork. We'll have to wait and see whether or not that theory is correct.
Old 2012-03-16, 06:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by fod View Post
i dont like anything that regenerates

i would prefer the armor system

the regen systems is one of the the reasons i DONT play bf3 anymore - it makes medics and engineers almost useless (for repair)
Health (medic's field of expertise) is unrechargeable.
Shields are not affiliated with engineers anymore and are rechargeable.
Vehicle Armor (engi's field of expertise), and supposedly MAX Armor, is unrechargeable.

Old 2012-03-16, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
WiteBeam
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by BuzzCutPsycho View Post
Except with Medic/Engineer that's precisely what everyone in PS did. Having to use an armor repair and health repair "weapon" doesn't make it any different.

Now it's just less annoying.
I guess it would only be the same as long as you only healed up if you stood still long enough.
Maybe they will put a long enough timer on it so people can't run and hide to heal after any damage is taken.

As long as health doesn't recharge it won't be a big deal.

Last edited by WiteBeam; 2012-03-16 at 06:11 PM.
Old 2012-03-16, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Bags
Lieutenant General

Poll options aren't very fair.

I'm in the middle regardless.
Old 2012-03-16, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
Health (medic's field of expertise) is unrechargeable.
Shields are not affiliated with engineers anymore and are rechargeable.
Vehicle Armor (engi's field of expertise), and supposedly MAX Armor, is unrechargeable.
Regenerating vehicle armor was present in the GDC footage. An upgrade no doubt, it's exact parameters are as of yet unknown
Old 2012-03-16, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by FastAndFree View Post
Regenerating vehicle armor was present in the GDC footage. An upgrade no doubt, it's exact parameters are as of yet unknown
Higby also mentioned that there may probably be an implant that restores health a-la PS Original's Regen Implant a long while ago. Doesn't chabge the fact that Med/Engi classes will still be needed on the field.

Old 2012-03-16, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Sirisian
Colonel

I've explained what I want before, but I don't feel like searching for it so I'll go again:

Shields are useful. They reflect the fact that players will be hit by random non-lethal bullets a lot. The armor system was not as lenient, nor designed with that in mind. That is to say shields should be designed to block the random few shots you take when stepping out of a doorway or running to a new position.

Health should be on most of the classes 4 times larger than shields proportionally. That is if you hit someone's shield down then you do health damage promoting skilled focus fire.

Armor should exist as both a modifier for damage and a physical bar for some classes (heavy and max) and as an upgrade via resources as a choice among better shield modules and other things. Related to this thread.

So basically a nice shield, armor, and health system.

The other option I'd prefer is if the shield bar was also an energy bar similar to the old stamina bar where shield modules have efficiency ratings. The reason for this is because I'd prefer if the shield was partly optional acting like personal shield and a choice among powering many implants. So by default passive shields are on, but say a person had an implant that cost energy they could turn off passive shielding to use the energy for an implant or other ability. Related to this thread. Opens up more combat choices and customization for players.

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
While I understand what they are after, I myself, do not like the idea of going to shields. It takes out a LOT of tactical elements and they are making the game a bit too fast paced as is. Armor gave you a greater sense of vulnerability, made you think on your next move after every conflict cause it kept you alive. Shields just keep going and going. I makes combat too different, and that's not just nostalgia speaking. Personally, I think shields can work as an armor class of their own, but we need armor.
I think armor took out the tactical part of combat. It was more of a logistics issue if anything. You had people taking one or two bullets and they'd feel obligated to go armor up. Shields remove that for the few random bullets you take. I agree though that shields over armor is logical. However, you might as well just have more health. As long as shields are smaller and health is huge you end up with the same system and you make the medic class useful. We don't need both engineers and medics. It got pretty retarded in PS1 having to use two tools to get a person patched up. Ideally with a lot of health a medic can handle things in a cleaner way. Armor if it exists should be unique with how it can be damaged. So you might shoot a heavy unit and do a ton of armor damage and without that armor modifier their health goes down easier. Those kinds of things promote skill based gameplay and choices.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-03-16 at 06:37 PM.
Old 2012-03-16, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Canaris
Contributor
General

waiting for beta on this

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-03-16, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Good extra point, shields reduce the trouble of accidentally shooting your team mates in the back because they stepped in front of you while you were firing. They reduce the problem a LOT.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion