New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2 - Page 29 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The last, best chance for peace � or war.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like a single person mech in the game? (Please read the thread before posti
I don't like single person bipedal mechs and don't want them in the game 153 75.37%
I want single person mechs, but don't like this implementation. (Explain below) 11 5.42%
I support this implementation 28 13.79%
Other Reason (Explain below) 11 5.42%
Voters: 203. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-25, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #421
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: New single person mechs designed from scratch for PS2

Sorry, your English is throwing me slightly.
Don't worry about it. I grew up in French so this happens once in a while.

I just meant that I cannot read minds hence why I have no logical basis to support my opinion.

So yes, it's all an assumption/opinion.

The meaning associated to words is very much based on an individual's personal understanding of it. Words like freedom, courage and honor can be readily translated but contain a much greater meaning that may not be the same between individual and their culture.

Kind of like how the definitions of what is a republican or democrat can even differ between members of a same party.

Anyways, back to the topic, that's why it's hard to normalize ideas and meanings associated to words. I think people generally associate mechs to BFRs (as Big F****** Robots) whereas just saying bipeds would fit more your idea of mechs.

Of course, both are mechanized and fit into the "mechs" category. Overall, I think most of what we read in this thread stems from different ideas being associated by each individual to the expression "single person mechs".

Add-in the emotional factors from PS1 and single person MBTs and you realistically should not expect most to stay rational.

______

In the end, I think I understand what you mean and frankly, it would be possible to put light mech bipeds with height advantage and AI in PS2 but the important questions is how balanced it will be and how much room it will take roles-wise ?

There was a great diversity of roles in PS1. When OP BFRs came in, they overtook over all roles for off-base fighting (either by being better or by preventing other playstyles to be viable).

I believe that the important part of PS1 is to offer a niche room for all kinds of players so that they can enjoy what they like the most in large-scale battles.

Large-scale should not be a small fight model multiplied x10 in scale. The scale should be used to offer more playstyle diversity. That's the kind of balance idea I am trying to convey.

Light mechs ? Sure, why not. As long as they do not destroy the diversity in gameplay available in PS.

So to summarize, yes, I agree with you that it's possible but it should not destroy other niches/roles.

Edit: let me know if something is unclear due to language/grammar and I'll try to rephrase it. I can also detail more some ideas if it is unclear with this post. Thanks for understanding that I do not have a perfect english. FYI, just in case because there's always room to misinterpret written text: while some people are set in their crusade to prove people wrong, I do sincerely try to discuss ideas with people even though I may disagree with theirs. So if I sound like I come off too strong, it may be unintended. Just let me know.

And <3 !

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-01-25 at 05:22 PM.
Old 2012-01-25, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #422
Bitmap
Private

Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
I am imagining an exo-suit for the MAX, that you purchase form the vehicle terminal. Maybe something at the end of the MAX tree. Call it Heavy MAX?

like this (imagine the smaller character as the MAX):
That looks awsome. Just what I was talking about earlier, though I was picturing something looking more like the exosuits from the Matrix movies. Agile MAX-only single person transport option for the dedicated MAX user.
Old 2012-01-25, 06:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #423
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

I like the idea of a "mech" being more of an Exo Suit rather than something like a BFR. Like an outdoor, Heavy MAX as has been said already. It could have about the same armor as a Lightning, maybe a little less with no shielding at all. And equip an AI/AV weapon, since the Lightning covers the AA aspect of the lighter vehicles. Like a machine gun and a shoulder mounted rocket launcher. Slower moving, but might be able to get places standard vehicles cannot.

The MBTs should be able to handle them easily 1v1. I would think the ExoSuit could be more like a Fire Support vehicle, it sticks with groups of infantry and lends its extra muscle. Great against softies and other light vehicles, weak against Aircraft, larger groups of softies, MBTs and other heavy vehicles.

Kind of like those AMP suits from Avatar, they're larger than MAX suits, but not as huge and powerful as the BFRs were.

I could also see how they could have utility outside of combat, such as a Heavy Lift vehicle for large engineering deployables or other heavy work. (Not that this should be included, but it makes a reason for them to exist in Lore for both combat and support work.)
Old 2012-04-01, 11:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #424
Lord Paladin
Corporal

What if you made it so that 5 people, with different specialized MAX suits could combine them to form Voltron?

I would TOTALLY be down with that. And it would take five people... and you'd have to get the two guys in the legs to be really well coordinated.
Old 2012-04-02, 12:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #425
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Lord Paladin View Post
What if you made it so that 5 people, with different specialized MAX suits could combine them to form Voltron?

I would TOTALLY be down with that. And it would take five people... and you'd have to get the two guys in the legs to be really well coordinated.
Black candles, incense, and a bloody sacrifice... the dark arts are strong with this one...

Edit: ...and given the name, the irony is not lost on me

Last edited by Grognard; 2012-04-02 at 12:05 AM.
Old 2012-04-02, 01:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #426
KrazeyVIII
Corporal

New forum feature!

When the word(s) mech and/or robot show up in the title of a new post, the author is first sent to the other threads immediately upon hitting send. Then two large robotic, mech if you will, arms come out of their speakers and rip their eyelids off and hold their head in place so they are FORCED to read what has already been said time and time again:

THERE WILL NOT BE MECH IN THE GAME NOW OR EVER. IT KILLED THE FIRST GAME AND IT WILL KILL THE SECOND

They are a useless addition and, as Malorn already said COUNTLESS times, they serve no purpose other than to just be 'cool'.

Do you want cool? or do you want a game that works? If you chose the former than may god have mercy on your soul. If you chose the former in PS1 then words cannot describe what should be done as punishment.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-02, 01:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #427
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The ass that necroed this thread should be shot.
Old 2012-04-02, 01:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #428
Sirisian
Colonel

Stop... If you are going to necro a 2 month old thread please take the time to read it in full and to understand both sides completely. Chances are your input or criticism is already covered after 29 pages. If you don't you end up with ignorant responses which look at problems as black and white like this:
Originally Posted by KrazeyVIII View Post
Do you want cool? or do you want a game that works?
So let this thread drop again unless after reading 29 pages you have useful feedback that wasn't already raised in the 6 other threads.
Old 2012-04-02, 03:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #429
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Before I begin, this thread isn't about BFRs. It's about a single person mech designed from scratch. Looking for input that would balance the idea. I get that some people don't like the look of mechs though. It would be appreciated that if you don't like mechs explain why. I'd be curious what you'd want if they were in.

I always felt that a mech in Planetside should have been a single person outdoor evolution to the MAX units. That is each faction has it's own variant. The design would be similar to a Mad Cat in BattleTech with a custom design for each of the empires geared toward uniform movement. (The vanu would have scale plated armor for instance). The height would be scaled down to the height of 2 players stacked so not very tall but still enough room for a driver.

The armor would be twice as much as the lightning offset with weaknesses I'll describe later. The big change is to move a lot of features off to the skill tree such as shields and flight so having those would cost extra. Also the ammo would be reduced especially on the secondary shoulder weapons so it would need to resupply often.

Since vehicles will have components that can be individually damaged, as explained by Higby, this will work in well. The mech's components can be broken down into:
  • Cockpit
  • Left Arm - When damaged it slows the weapon on the arm or shuts it off
  • Right Arm
  • Left Shoulder - Secondary weapon upgrade slot. If damaged can slow down and shut off
  • Right Shoulder
  • Engines (In the back) - Slows shield regen and flight
  • Left Leg - When damaged the player slows down
  • Right Leg

The skill tree would allow upgrades on the following for instance:
  • Armor - Upgrades plate armor and the visual appearance of the mech
  • Weapons - AI, AV, AA and upgrades like more ammo or rockets. Depends on the empire
  • Legs - mobility upgrades
  • Shields - Unlocks the ability that is controlled by toggled. Upgrades for shield strength. Shares energy with flight
  • Flight - Unlocks the ability and upgrades like strafing along with the duration and thrust power
  • Sensors - To detect and warn about incoming players and vehicles and deployables (like mines).
These upgrades also all change the look of the mech. As a random example, say a player invests in sensors to detect cloakers that are getting close the upgrade would give an obvious cue to tell cloakers of the danger.

More often than not the mech would become immobalized or useless before dying. For instance if some players attacked the legs it might slow down too much to be useful so the player would need to get out and repair it.

Ideally it would need to be backed up by other players and would be vulnerable by itself. (Bailing onto it for instance, would probably be a valid strategy).

I know some people are going to think this sounds complex, but honestly the amount of skill upgrades Higby said was in the thousands for weapons and vehicle which leads me to believe vehicles are going to have very complex upgrade choices.

I left some stuff out to make the discussion open. I'm also not 100% sure my poll has all the possible options. I've been reading the mech threads from a long time and the recent ones to get an idea of the community's thoughts.
Dont ask such question in here

I think most people on this forums seams to be traumatized by the bfr from planetside so anything that looks like a bfr near and far Will be rejected whiout any consideration from those lol

Thats sad to be so closed mind MEch can be really cool if they are done rigth

We can also consider a MAX suit like a mini mech suits its a exoskeleton but tinyer than a MEch !

Mech if well balance can be great and also having custumisable mech can be even more awesome !

In every vehicules u can change the performance slots the weapons slots etc...

So i dont see the problem i find ur idea iteresting and also i will have to say that Planetside 2 can be the num 1 game with diversity and a brillant open wold !

people should be more opens to new idea and change thats dont affect the core !

Its like if some people dont want planetside 2 they must keep playing PS1 its like the gameplay of planetside 2 will be like game like BF3 MAG COD etc.. and others modern FPS

Ps1 was more like QUAKE , unreal tournament , or others games like this the gameplay itself the core will be totally different !

So it should be nice to not be closed mind to any idea and reject them whiout even try to give it a chance !

PS2 keep the open wold battle with real time strategies and awesome modern fps mechanics its not a copy and past of planetside 1 but it take the most important elements

Open wold , great team work , great comunication systhem , 3 empires , 3 different look , and the most important the freedom in actions and strategies

Last edited by Stew; 2012-04-02 at 03:14 AM.
Old 2012-04-02, 03:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #430
Stew
Major

Originally Posted by KrazeyVIII View Post
New forum feature!

THERE WILL NOT BE MECH IN THE GAME NOW OR EVER. IT KILLED THE FIRST GAME AND IT WILL KILL THE SECOND

Mech are vehicules like any others ! if they are done rigth they will be no game killing or anything like it MAx are already tiny mech did MAX kill PS1 ?

time have kill planetside 1 not bfr and bfr were not done rigth !

Mech can serve Multi purpose because you can change every part of a mech for the legs to the weapons etc.. if done rigth it can be great and cool !

So if i follow what u said previously when u say (((do you want cool stuff))) ill say YEAH ! i want cool and usefull stuff as well !
I want my NC armor to look cool why ? i dont even see myself ? rigth ?

But i want to look cool because others will see me

I want cool paint for my tanks because it will look more bad ass

I will choose better games mechanics over cool stuff but i will not reject cool stuff to restrict my game experience to 1 ground vehicules such as 1 tank for NC ! I will take it as it is but down the road if the game suceed i would like to have more ad on and coll stuff but DONE RIght thats all !

So respect to mech and everything thats can be great if balenced !

Last edited by Stew; 2012-04-02 at 03:25 AM.
Old 2012-04-02, 05:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #431
Vancha
Colonel

Please take this thread out back and shoot it in the head.
Old 2012-04-02, 05:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #432
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Please take this thread out back and shoot it in the head.
Can we beat it with a rubber hose first, plllleeeaaaasssseeee!

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-04-02, 05:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #433
cellinaire
Captain

Remove the 'single person' part and it'll look much better =)
Old 2012-04-02, 08:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #434
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

I am categorically against any stupid robots.
Old 2012-04-02, 08:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #435
Arius
Corporal

I heard you like heavy armor and big ass guns, here's a MAX.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion