Ability to toggle 1st/3rd person - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Haters gonna hate
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-09, 01:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Stentura
Private

Thumbs up Ability to toggle 1st/3rd person

Hey guys, I just watched a video showing some of the PS2 gameplay. Not sure if this question was already addressed or not, but will there be a toggle for 3rd and 1st person views like the original? And also, will the voice macros be back? Nothing is better than the goofy voices and spamming VVQ. Lol
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-09, 01:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Re: Ability to toggle 1st/3rd person

Answered by Higby in the Q&A from earlier

MgFalcon: Will 3rd person view be available for ground vehicles as well as air?

Higby: No, it'll be air vehicle right now, pretty much exclusively air vehicles. I don’t like 3rd person, I think 3rd person is sort of...

MgFalcon: The hide behind walls and pop out trick?

Higby: Yeah! And if you're in a tank you can do the same thing, I can see behind a wall, or around the corner with a tank in 3rd person just like you can with infantry person in 3rd person, obviously not as viable as in as many situations.

MgFalcon: Why just the aircraft then?

Higby: Well Aircraft it’s really important to get situational awareness - like how high am I off the ground, how far am I from hitting this object, we’re gonna make it really hard for you to aim and shoot in 3rd person in the vehicle. It’s more for if you’re purely flying, or dogfighting trying to escape, or something like that you might want to switch to 3rd person to be able to go through obstacles. But it's not something you’re going to be using while you’re strafing and killing guys because the camera is going to be dynamic and won’t show crosshairs so you won't know where you’re aiming very well. You won’t even be able to put a post-it note on the middle of your screen and have that work either, because the camera is gonna shift around a little bit - so it won’t always be perfect.
Old 2012-04-09, 01:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Stentura View Post
Hey guys, I just watched a video showing some of the PS2 gameplay. Not sure if this question was already addressed or not, but will there be a toggle for 3rd and 1st person views like the original?
Only aircraft have third person view.

// ah too slow. It's odd to think we have so much information that even a TL;DR information thread would be too long at this point.

For one-off questions try IRC.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-04-09 at 01:12 AM.
Old 2012-04-09, 01:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
RNFB
First Sergeant

Not surprised that someone with a Sonic avatar would ask questions that have already been answered a million times...

3rd person will only be for aircraft, and voices will be back
Old 2012-04-09, 01:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
Not surprised that someone with a Sonic avatar would ask questions that have already been answered a million times...

i have nightmares that during my wedding someone will stand up in disaproval and shout "REPAIR OUR SPAWN TUBES!"
Chinese New Year 1 / Chinese New Year 2 A Comic about mediocrity.... and bizarre stuff.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-09, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Cosmical View Post
i have nightmares that during my wedding someone will stand up in disaproval and shout "REPAIR OUR SPAWN TUBES!"
'Incoming MAX Units!" before the bride walks out.
Old 2012-04-09, 03:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bags
Lieutenant General

Voice macroes will be back with more, and some of them will be situational.
Old 2012-04-09, 05:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
raidyr
Corporal

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
'Incoming MAX Units!" before the bride walks out.
And don't even mention the in-laws.

"You call yourself a soldier?"
Old 2012-04-09, 06:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Stentura
Private

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post

Sorry man! Just made my account today, still getting used to the site lol.
Old 2012-04-09, 06:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Shogun
Contributor
General

the problem is just that psu seems to be flooded by new users lately, and a lot of them ask old questions again.
yours was harmless. some others start their psu carreer with questions that have been discussed to death several times and that evolved into serious flamewars. like " will we get bfrs in the game? i want them"
those new users often get stamped as trolls and end up on ignorelists very fast, and they screw it for all other new users who ask viable questions and get nasty answers as well.

so use search function and if you have a simple question, go to chat and ask there. your answers will be much more friendly there because misunderstandings can be solved faster before the trollpolice jumps to conclusions

oh, and welcome to psu!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-04-09 at 06:47 AM.
Old 2012-04-09, 07:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
texico
Master Sergeant

Seems to me that the annoying deaths from people popping out from corners to kill you is just going to be replaced with annoying deaths from people coming up behind you, maybe while healing, and killing you.

Also, I don't see why an aircraft needs more situational awareness than a tank or soldier.
Old 2012-04-09, 07:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
PredatorFour
Major

Originally Posted by Cosmical View Post
Or the best man stands up during the ring exchange and shouts "You start it, i finish it "
Old 2012-04-09, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I have no issue with 3ed person being on Tanks as well. But I suppose this need is removed due to the Driver also being the gunner. That is also still a mistake.
Old 2012-04-09, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
raidyr
Corporal

Originally Posted by texico View Post
Seems to me that the annoying deaths from people popping out from corners to kill you is just going to be replaced with annoying deaths from people coming up behind you, maybe while healing, and killing you.

Also, I don't see why an aircraft needs more situational awareness than a tank or soldier.
Having someone physically maneuver themselves behind me and kill me while I am healing myself is a military tactic. Using a third-person camera to look around a wall is a video game contrivance.
Old 2012-04-09, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

I will miss my infantry 3rd-person view, but I think they're going in the right direction. First person will be more immersive and promote more standard-FPS tactics, which is a good thing.

I would like to see it on large vehicles though; tanks, Sundies, and air vehics.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion