Fall Damage - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now in color!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Fall Damage and You: Does it Hurt?
My boots are scratched! (Current Low FD is acceptable) 34 29.31%
[Deceased] (High Fall Damage) 67 57.76%
ZzzzZZzz (Don't care either way) 15 12.93%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-21, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Furber
First Sergeant

Re: Fall Damage

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Ridiculous fall damage & lack of bailing functionality is just more stuff hampering you, reducing options and making the game more boring. People need to stop trying to restrict everything in gaming, it will only end up with more generic military FPS clones.
^
Old 2012-05-21, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
If you listen to the commentary, you will hear him explain why this happens.

http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...light=jet+pack
During the part that it seems this guy is referring to (21:17 onwards) he was a heavy assault class, and only took about half shield damage from a forward accelerated fall from height.

As for my opinion I do think it is a tad too small of a penalty for low level bailers (and we all hate bailers at the best of times, let alone when they can survive hitting the floor at full speed). Its basically on par with my feelings about the fact that sniper head shots are not 1 shot kills, making sniping a bullet spam fest.

Although I don't know why I'm bothering since the designers seem to just post once per thread and never return so its not likely you will even see this let alone respond to his point in context.

Last edited by MrKWalmsley; 2012-05-21 at 12:21 PM.
Old 2012-05-21, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Ridiculous fall damage & lack of bailing functionality is just more stuff hampering you, reducing options and making the game more boring. People need to stop trying to restrict everything in gaming, it will only end up with more generic military FPS clones.
As opposed to a Halo clone you mean? When you can jump out of an aircraft from height and take hardly any damage? Ready immediately to point your missile launcher at the aircraft pursuing you and blow it up after it passes over?

Last edited by MrKWalmsley; 2012-05-21 at 12:23 PM.
Old 2012-05-21, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MrKWalmsley View Post
As opposed to a Halo clone you mean? When you can jump out of an aircraft from height and take hardly any damage? Ready immediately to point your missile launcher at the aircraft pursuing you and blow it up after it passes over?
Sounds just like Planetside.
Old 2012-05-21, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
kertvon
Sergeant

I think some kind of parachute implementation would be okay, but straight up parachutes would be lame. It needs to be taken into consideration that this game is based on technology far in the future. If we are still using parachutes hundreds of years in the future then we have a problem...
Old 2012-05-21, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by kertvon View Post
I think some kind of parachute implementation would be okay, but straight up parachutes would be lame. It needs to be taken into consideration that this game is based on technology far in the future. If we are still using parachutes hundreds of years in the future then we have a problem...
Why would that, of all things, be a problem?
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-21, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
CyclesMcHurtz
PlanetSide 2
Coder

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
I thought he did not have a jet pack at that moment. Isn't there an icon with a power meter circling around it that indicates jet pack, on the bottom right of the screen over the ammo indicator? It looks like a guy jet packing to the right. When this fall occurs in the video, that icon is not present, it's a different icon that looks like a person standing facing front with his hands to his sides.
This will teach me to comment before the second cup of coffee
Old 2012-05-21, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Toppopia
Major

I think there should be different types of mechanisms or leaving an aircraft, low level certs could be like parachutes so you can do an awesome paratrooper type assault, then higher up certs get to the energy shield but that option would be really loud and obvious while parachutes should be not at noticeable but the energy thing would be faster but can't attack while falling.
Old 2012-05-21, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Biohazard
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by kertvon View Post
Originally Posted by Planetside2.com
The Galaxy is equipped with the innovative "Hot Drop" system which automatically encapsulates any soldier or MAX unit that bails out with a protective barrier that slows their fall. This system removes the bulkiness and complications of using parachutes.

From what I understand only the Galaxy comes with the hotdrop system, and that other aircraft have to get it as a cert.
Old 2012-05-21, 11:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
As for passengers, and this really only applies to Galaxies, either it should be assumed that the passenger section of a Galaxy has a parachute issued per seat, or else give them a fast-rope deploy system.
Galaxies already have this, its been mentioned that they will have a drop pod sidegrade
Old 2012-05-22, 06:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

God, why are people so anal about things like this.. its not realistic? well nor is rebirthing technology, orbital strikes, hover tanks, energy based hand held weapons etc.. If you want realism go play BF3, don't try and bring it to this game. The not taking damage from bailing was explained in the first game as an anti-gravity device which protected the troop before impacting in the ground. It was visually represented by the blue glow around the troop (when jumping from a galaxy) when failling:

http://youtu.be/d7k1zylO0NY?t=1m15s

When jumping from other airplane its true that you didnt get the glow, but the same 'technology' must have been used. Its pretty much the same in this game, only the devs have decided that its going to use half of your shield to prevent you from dying. Dont like it? then try bailing from something that is designed to do it like a Galaxy, this also encourages team work.. which is good. It will discourages people from bailing onto towers.. running in with the Jackhammers and 2 shotting a couple of people which was annoying.

There should be a lock at around 25% health like in the original so you cant bail, stops people jumping out to save their lame asses. The mechanics was pretty much there in the original, it just needs a few tweaks. I would also say that if a pilot dies by crashing into a tree when trying to do some crazy evasive manoeuvres through a forest or crashes into a hill then either the last person to score a hit (less load on the servers) or preferably, the person who did the most damage should get the kill. That was one of the annoying things about the original, you could school someone and then not get credit when then suicided into a tree.
Old 2012-05-22, 07:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
SKYeXile
Major General

These polls are stupidly misleading by the way. I'm willing to make the claim that only a particular breed of players posts on this forum, and therefor these polls do not reflect the vision of either the old Planetside community, or the potential new PS2 community.
Most of these players are likely MAX users who have had pilots bail on them with a decimater afew times and are butt hurt about it all the way to PS2 it seems.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-22, 07:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
SKYeXile
Major General

I know for a fact that this is true. One of these people has got to be SkinlessJACK or ReconDelta.
Im personally waiting for moab or inspector to pop their heads up, thats if they haven't exploded with internet rage already.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-22, 08:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Stardouser
Colonel

These polls are stupidly misleading by the way. I'm willing to make the claim that only a particular breed of players posts on this forum, and therefor these polls do not reflect the vision of either the old Planetside community, or the potential new PS2 community.
I disagree. If you're saying an individual poll may be poorly written you're right of course, but I do not agree that the kind of players who frequent forums is unable to represent a good sampling for polling. The real problem with polls here is not the kind of people who come here, but the fact that you only get a few hundred responses; you really need 50,000 or so at least.

EA UK BF3's forum moderator has been putting some polls up on Battlelog (which all players must use to join BF3 games, thus a random sample), which have been getting 60,000-ish responses. Thus far, he hasn't gone directly to any hard hitting issues(asking poll questions like What was your first BF game, for example) but even so the answers do kind of appear to justify that the so-called "hardcore" viewpoints of the EA UK BF3 forum might actually apply to the entire BF playerbase. I suspect that once PS2 is in Beta, if they use the Launcher to poll before allowing players to log in(and I know they can do this because EQ has done it), the answers will justify this forum's opinions too. On the whole, anyway, just because a poll of the entire community shows that the overall community disagrees with this forum on 2 or 3 things out of say, 20, that doesn't mean anything.
Old 2012-05-22, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
SKYeXile
Major General

Games shouldn't be designed around what players think anyway, most of us are generally biased on a subject, or simply dont have the knowledge to be poled their opinion on a subject.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion