E3 Demo is Misleading... - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home Sweet Home
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-06, 01:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
T MAN
Private

E3 Demo is Misleading...

It's misleading the people trying out Planetside 2 for the first time with the out of bounds, they can't experience PS2 like totalbiscuit got too.

I say get rid of the out of bounds and let them fly around and see all the glorious map, and get there creative juices flowing just thinking how awesome this is going to be with 1000 more people. because wright now it looks like a medium Battlefield 3 map with the out bounds as well.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zekeen
Major

Re: E3 Demo is Misleading...

The people jump into battle for a few minutes, leave, and go to the next game does the aisle. They aren't on and don't have the patience to do a real global warfare. Higby is trying to get typical twitchers interested in the game for its face value to draw them into looking up about the real time deal. This is not to show them the real PS2, but get them looking it up and get publicity.

It's good enough, they got the MAX suits in. Gamers love robots full of death.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
hypehype
Private

Originally Posted by T MAN View Post
It's misleading the people trying out Planetside 2 for the first time with the out of bounds, they can't experience PS2 like totalbiscuit got too.

I say get rid of the out of bounds and let them fly around and see all the glorious map, and get there creative juices flowing just thinking how awesome this is going to be with 1000 more people. because wright now it looks like a medium Battlefield 3 map with the out bounds as well.
That will lead to alot of Dead zones and nothing to shoot.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Figment
Lieutenant General

Maybe they should just have made some fly overs of the continents (yes, multiple) play in the background to give them a better impression.

But for the demo, it's better to consolidate everyone in the same area, if they spread out too much, it's not frantic enough.

Maybe something for Gamescon Cologne?
Old 2012-06-06, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Yea, atm there aren't really that many players in the game. We hoped they'd be able to show off some PS style large battles but the amount of lads shooting at each other is pretty standard as far as I'm concerned...

Don't know if ppl can classify what they're seeing there and won't think it's just a sort of futuristic Battlefield.

I had a feeling that it would be coming along like this if closed beta wasn't set well before E3... Maybe it's just because it's the first day, let's wait and see
Old 2012-06-06, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Haro
Master Sergeant

Uh, no. If people just wandered around without any real direction, they wouldn't get a good example of gameplay. THAT would be even more misleading. Remember, we're talking about a fraction of normal population here, probably set up to represent an ideal density of players.

Planetside is a hard game to show off properly. You need to cut corners and game the rules a little bit to make sure people have a good time when all they can do is play for 10-15 minutes.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

As I said before, the gameplay we see here at E3 is far fetched from what we are going to see when the game goes live. They are showing the action off and talking about the scale. One can't really appreciate the scale in this game on the noisy and chaotic show floor of E3.

They are going to give them a few minutes to check out the gunplay and graphics, learn about the game a bit, get some kills, and then be on their way.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Xyntech
Brigadier General

The idea with the E3 demo is to show what larger scale combat looks like, not larger scale environments. People have already seen large scale environments. It's not that impressive anymore. I think they made the right call, given their limited options at this stage.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-06, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

It's completely necessary to ensure a taste of what a full scale battle is going to be link and to ensure people didn't wander off and get lost. They were for the demo purposes only.
Old 2012-06-06, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
CommandoCarl
Private

The Mighty RadarX has spoken!!!
Old 2012-06-06, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

I've seen a couple of youtube comments along the lines of "generic FPS". Obviously no clue as to the scale of the fights - the demonstration is not getting through to the stupidest denizens of the internet!
Old 2012-06-06, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
NCLynx
Major

Misleading? I'd much rather have the people testing it at E3 see what a huge battle could be like in one specific part of the map than have access to a whole continent and fight maybe 5 people tops throughout their whole experience.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-06-06, 03:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
It's completely necessary to ensure a taste of what a full scale battle is going to be link and to ensure people didn't wander off and get lost. They were for the demo purposes only.
Indeed

But there is still something that needs to be done. Radar, i want you to do me a favor:

As far as i understand, theres a whole bunch of you folks in SD playing the game, to populate it for the E3 folks. Right now its just random battle, without much coordination. Now, people need to see the other side, the tactics, the thing that really makes Planetside different.

So go, find yourself a squad or two of each empire, get each of those squads to group up and work together, let them man a Galaxy or two, and show those E3 folks and the people watching the TB stream what a Galaxy drop really means.

Then, let those squads take Air and just crush the base together. And then a Tank collum. Just do stuff together, show them what Outfits are capable of, what we guys have done for years. Show them the true face of Planetside.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-06, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

I'm going to share something I learned from my media days. Steamrolling press doesn't get you good reviews.
Old 2012-06-06, 03:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
I'm going to share something I learned from my media days. Steamrolling press doesn't get you good reviews.
The idea is to have a squad or two in all 3 factions, so those squads battle each other. Think about it, having a massive air fight just above all those E3 folks.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion