Devs: Engineers Should carry Ammo packs..not LA's. - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The Place where Bovines reign supreme.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-06, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
JHendy
First Sergeant

Re: Devs: Engineers Should carry Ammo packs..not LA's.

Do we know whether ammo boxes will be infinite with a cooldown or needing to be resupplied at a terminal?
Old 2012-06-06, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by JHendy View Post
Do we know whether ammo boxes will be infinite with a cooldown or needing to be resupplied at a terminal?
this we don't know yet.. big question that we need answered.
Old 2012-06-06, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
JHendy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Top Sgt View Post
this we don't know yet.. big question that we need answered.
I think it could potentially be the balancer that resolves the issue people are discussing in this topic.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
chanic
Private

Role-wise, it does seem strange to me that the light troops are the ones carrying the ammo, but at the same time I can't see another class that would be better, at the moment. Traditionally it's the machinegunners that carry the ammo in class-based shooters, but that role is taken by the Heavy Assault since they get the LMG weapon variants.

I think people are too worried about Light Assaults camping out in high places though. From what I saw of the E3 gameplay, they do not have nearly enough health to make it a viable strategy. They may get one or two kills, but if they stay in the same spot someone is going to find them and spot them, and then they will die in an instant.

I think the proper way to play a light assault is stick with a group, and use mobility to harass enemies that are already targeting your allies. In this role they would make good ammo carriers, because if anything spots them and shoots them, they will definitely have to retreat to the main group to get healed, at which point they can drop an ammo pack for everyone.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
RNFB
First Sergeant

Engineers should deploy a static ammo terminal that the enemies can blow up, and has limited production, with a long cooldown.
Old 2012-06-06, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

As far as I'm concerned, no class should carry ammo packs. Or if they absolutely must, it should be a single use, then having to get to a inventory terminal to get another.

Spawning infinite ammunition from a spawnable class is not a good thing.
Old 2012-06-06, 09:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
JHendy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by RNFB View Post
Engineers should deploy a static ammo terminal that the enemies can blow up, and has limited production, with a long cooldown.
I actually really like the idea of a throw-down object, that forms a supply crate out of nanites, much the same as the deployable turret.

As opposed to a sorry looking gift-sized package...
Old 2012-06-06, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Knightwyvern
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
I agree Light assault should not have ammo..is gonna lead to weird camping spots and it doesn't make sense.

Medic or engineer should have it.
*Click Click* "...wtf, where's my ammo!?"

But in all seriousness, perhaps the solution would just be that using it as a utility would give you a lot more ammunition, but throwing ammo consumes some of your own, instead of replenishing?

Remember guys, this is SCI-FI with hover tanks and laser guns. The key word for ammo packs is Nanites.

Last edited by Knightwyvern; 2012-06-06 at 09:34 PM.
Old 2012-06-07, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Top Sgt
Sergeant Major

Ha I was right!

They just confirmed on livestream (marg) that they are going to be switching the Ammo packs from the LA class to somewhere else.

it promotes lone play and they recognize that.

Question is who will get the ammo now?
Old 2012-06-07, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Envenom
Sergeant Major

They just said in the live stream that LA's will not have the ability to resupply.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-07, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I agree with that change. It definitely does promote solo play and brings LA down to being more team-dependent. However, I would like to see something replace the ammo-giving that gives LA something to bring to the team. There should be a good reason why you would want a LA in your squad. Ammo giving was a good reason, but since that is going away something teamwork/support oriented should replace it.

Fundamentally the LA is a flanking/scout/skirmisher class. It needs some teamwork value related to that to bring back to the squad. Some options...

1) They could have a wide variety of utility grenades, which could be used in conjunction with the jetpack to deploy accurately. Smoke, EMP, Plasma, Frag, Flares (for night illumination and to screw up thermal imaging) etc. Something like smoke and EMP and flares seems like something they should be able to use without spending resources. Those are non-lethal so it makes sense to me for them to be free and a Light Assault Perk. Its a good benefit to a squad that could utilize those grenades in a battle and make use of the flanking ability and make them desirable.

2) LA could carry more C4 than other classes. Their high mobility gives them the ability to get in close and actually use that C4. Since they lack other means of taking out vehicles this one. It also might not cost resources to use to encourage/provide an advantage to the class.

3) They could have some spotting enhancement, similar to the infiltrator. Maybe not as good at spotting as the infil, but better than the other classes. One advantage of mobility, height advantage, and jetpacks would be a better view of the surrounding area, so spotting makes sense to me here. They might have different spotting advantages than the infil. For example, perhaps the LA has better vehicle spotting than the Infiltrator.

4) They could capture things somewhat faster, making them good to bring along in a team and allowing them a little better harassment capabilities by allowing them to slip in, capture a point, and move out.

Just some raw ideas. I think they need something to replace ammo as teamwork benefits.
Old 2012-06-07, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
They just said in the live stream that LA's will not have the ability to resupply.
this. glad to hear they are still listening best dev team
Old 2012-06-07, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Bags
Lieutenant General

I feel engineer should, to give them a good front line role besides turrets, but HA could work too.
Old 2012-06-07, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I don't think it would be too bad to give them to engineers. Just so long as they make sure that all of the other classes have a ton of diverse roles and abilities to contribute as well.

Medics could deploy healing stations for example.
Old 2012-06-07, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
GhettoPrince
Staff Sergeant

I think setting up a supply depot is a perfect role for the engineer, they should totally have the ammo packs.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion