Planetside 2 Liberator Bombing Confirmed! - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Free Life Jackets! Made with 100% real kevlar!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-11, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Re: Planetside 2 Liberator Bombing Confirmed!

Stoked!
Old 2012-06-11, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
megamold
Second Lieutenant

hmmm, i'm geussing i would pay about 15-25€ for the ability to ride the bombs down to the ground
Old 2012-06-11, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Draz
Private

I'm not convinced they are talking about PS1 style lib bombing yet.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-11, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I love bombing runs, this is awesome.

The cannon that we saw on E3 footage looked like complete ownage. It would be hard to make bombs with less control over where they land more effective than something that appeared to be 3-shotting tanks. Those bombs would have to be really, really strong.

The other value of the bombing runs is the ability to have less AA at high altitude. At least less ground-based AA so perhaps the tradeoff they are going for is the ability for a liberator to function over a hot area by going up higher and dropping bigger payloads as opposed to lower-altitude suppression with the cannons. At lower altitude the liberator is more vulnerable.

In PS1 one of the best uses of a Liberator was taking out a hot AMS. With galaxies replacing AMS and galaxies taking a lot of punishment (but also being easy targets), it seems like this new bombing Liberator might resume its PS1 role as an anchor-remover.

(I refer to AMS as anchors as they provide infantry the ability to hold the territory as long as the have a spawn point, remove the AMS and the infantry hold weakens, so AMS are the anchor, Libs remove the anchor and allow your side to push).

If I read other information right, deployed Galaxies have a shield, so it would take a lot of firepower to blow them up, the sort of firepower that a Liberator could bring with bombs. And also suppression.

I see a clear value and role for bomb-dropping Libs. Glad to see them return. Kevmo, you are the man!
Old 2012-06-11, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
The Degenatron
Master Sergeant

"Omega Wing you are go for Operation Rolling Thunder."

"Omega Wing to Command, all TR oppressors and VS abominations have been eliminated."
Old 2012-06-11, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Xeb
Private

Would it really be anymore effective than the lib's mortar canon? Sure you hit a larger area but you'd lose that pin-point accuracy that looked so devastating at E3
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-11, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Xeb View Post
Would it really be anymore effective than the lib's mortar canon? Sure you hit a larger area but you'd lose that pin-point accuracy that looked so devastating at E3
See my post above, I explain where and why it would be more effective than the cannon.
Old 2012-06-11, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Resolve
Corporal

oh god please give me laser designation.
Old 2012-06-11, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Meriv
First Sergeant

Ok so we know that the sky ceiling is at 1000meters, ok the flak is out of range but the rockets? anyone knows about the range of the lock? i saw some footages with realy realy far away lock on airplane
Old 2012-06-11, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
CutterJohn
Colonel

I suppose if they were tv guided bombs it would be ok. If they're just dumb bombs again, thanks, but no thanks. May as well just let the pilot release the bombs, since my presence in the seat would amount to pushing a button.

Also, bombs need to be able to be shot down with flak to allow people on the ground some defense against flight ceiling bombing.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-06-11 at 01:53 PM.
Old 2012-06-11, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
amblingalong
Private

Originally Posted by Draz View Post
I'm not convinced they are talking about PS1 style lib bombing yet.
Yeah, I think it's definitely possible they're just referring to a gun, pointing down.
Old 2012-06-11, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
GhettoPrince
Staff Sergeant

im ok with this, but did anyone really like to do high altitude bombing? I remember it being real clunky and hard to use.
Old 2012-06-11, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Sirisian
Colonel

Kind of disappointing. Was hoping the pilot would drop the bombs.

How about this implementation. The pilot chooses bomber mode which removes the front cannon and gives the pilot bombing controls. (Click to drop bomb with visual HUD). The mortar is removed keeping the tailgun position to make it a 2 person vehicle? That would be sweet. (Would also like to give the tail gunner camera guided rockets). This basically.

Originally Posted by GhettoPrince View Post
im ok with this, but did anyone really like to do high altitude bombing? I remember it being real clunky and hard to use.
I personally want a dive bomber mix so I can dive on vehicles and release bombs with 100% velocity inheritance. (Throwing bombs also).

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-06-11 at 01:53 PM.
Old 2012-06-11, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Turdicus
Master Sergeant

Looks like they heard your complaints loud and clear guys haha. I was never really FOR traditional bombs, but I see the discrepancy between bombs and the cannon. If they limit the range of the cannon then the bombs would be a niche weapon for high altitude suppression, and the cannon would be a niche weapon for low altitude attacks.

Guess we will see the merits of both later
Old 2012-06-11, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

High altitude bombing was usually fairly ineffective at doing anything but keeping people indoors, which was fine.

The true perfection of Lib bombing was seen at about 5-10m off the ground at high speeds with the AV bombs. A single pass was capable of dropping a Vanny assuming you landed all your bombs, and the AV bombs were also quite capable of instagibbing infantry, MAX units, and quads on a direct hit.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion