Clans invited to play beta early! [Unconstructive whining will be deleted] - Page 15 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 0.000001% Nazi free.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-13, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #211
ArcIyte
Sergeant

Re: Clans invited to play beta early! [Unconstructive whining will be deleted]

goku going super saiyan using his spirit bomb attack

watch out

WWW.ENCLAVEOILRIG.COM
Old 2012-06-13, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #212
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Its being put under control before it erupts is why.
Yes, well done Goku, removing our Borat pictures are sure ways to keep things from escalating.

I think people just handle it better because this isn't the Call of Duty/Heroes of Newerth/Battlefield 3 forums, but maybe I am just flattering us as a community.

Last edited by Bazilx; 2012-06-13 at 02:30 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #213
Sifer2
Major

Well this is kind of how it always goes with Beta's. Pretty much every Beta I have seen starts by inviting Guilds/Clans, and testers they know have experience or were useful in the past. Well them, and the Press. Press get in first like Totalbiscuit the lucky bastard.

At least we know Vets an key holders will be in the early waves. Which basically means anyone can get in if they go buy PS1 or PCgamer though lol.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #214
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info
Re: Clans invited to play beta early!

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Here's some important feedback for them - this is a poor way to start this thing off. Relations with the fans is important, and I would have expected that if they weren't going to start with the rabid vets and fans that they would have at least given us a heads up and controlled the messaging. Instead we find out second-hand by piecing together the puzzle. They had to know it would get out and without greasing the skids the reaction is going to be rough.

A little heads up by Higby explaining to us what's happening would have gone a long way to keeping us calm and positive. In the absence of that it's only going to get worse. Something like "hey we started sending out invites, don't panic, here's the deal with that..."

Still not too late for that but I'm a bit disappointed we didn't hear it from him first.

Edit: Looks like they finally started giving us a clue so that's good start!

You still dont understand mate. First Platoon and Vets get in at the same time, but just not all of them. Thats the way it is, and i would be rather angry if im not in the very first wave, but i do have to deal with it, no matter what. In the end, i know one thing for sure: If im not in the first or second wave, i will be in the third or 4th. I will be there, just as you, because we both are vets.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #215
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

If Higby had mentioned it before they did that nobody would have gotten worked up at all. The way they went about it gave the impression of giving the PS vets the proverbial finger.
I have to agree. I have never heard of this outfit, I know Enclave, BWC, ETC... and my outfit was #10 on emerald and held the honor of being one of the first outfits in game, many of us beta testers.

Not heard one peep.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #216
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
I have to agree. I have never heard of this outfit, I know Enclave, BWC, ETC... and my outfit was #10 on emerald and held the honor of being one of the first outfits in game, many of us beta testers.

Not heard one peep.

Hooray entitlement.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #217
Khrusky
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by basti View Post
You still dont understand mate. First Platoon and Vets get in at the same time, but just not all of them. Thats the way it is, and i would be rather angry if im not in the very first wave, but i do have to deal with it, no matter what. In the end, i know one thing for sure: If im not in the first or second wave, i will be in the third or 4th. I will be there, just as you, because we both are vets.
... and PCGamer readers. An important thing to keep in mind.

Drake Flight is a new EU TR Air Assault Outfit. PM me if you're interested in signing up.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #218
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
Hooray entitlement.
Horray, you may want to invite people with a good deal of experience with the game.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-13, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #219
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by basti View Post
Yes, mate I understand quite clearly. What I was talking about was that this whole mess could have been avoided with a little heads up and an explanation of how things are going down instead of us finding out via detective work and left to wonder. Higby clarified things somewhat on Reddit a little while ago but that doesn't change the fact that this was a poorly managed event which led to many folks getting upset. Didn't have to happen.

Edit: Wow I just read that you knew about this for a week - so they had a week to give us a heads up about it and avoid panic. Disappointing.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-06-13 at 02:42 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #220
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Horray, you may want to invite people with a good deal of experience with the game.
They could invite whoever they want to privately test the game. The only thing they have to honor is that vets would be invited before beta became open.

And this is by no means a beta invite or an announcement, and vets still get preemptively butthurt over it.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-06-13 at 02:41 PM.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #221
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Yes, mate I understand quite clearly. What I was talking about was that this whole mess could have been avoided with a little heads up and an explanation of how things are going down instead of us finding out via detective work and left to wonder. Higby clarified things somewhat on Reddit a little while ago but that doesn't change the fact that this was a poorly managed event which led to many folks getting upset. Didn't have to happen.
I do wonder myself why they first invited outfits for the First platoon thingy, instead of going all out with it right away.
Maybe because they knew they would be spammed with mails from outfits to get in the thing?
Old 2012-06-13, 02:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #222
Marsgrim
Sergeant

Where I do think SOE have done something right in this scenario is in giving non vet players an opportunity to voice their ideas without being shouted down by us veterans on things that are not PS because we fix out concept on the old game.

I will say though that SOE have an unfortunate history in terms of actions and communication throughout their game portfolio that has earned a level of distrust amongst many gamers.

I have been quite vocal in saying that I believe they have approached PS2 correctly and that a new approach seemed to have been adopted which is certainly an improved way forward for them. Unfortunately, the manner in which they have undertaken this particular step is a somewhat backwards step in that they haven't been open to their existing customers.

If SOE had approached this First Platoon program by actually saying on Twitter/PSU/Facebook that they were looking to engage clans with no history in PS and they wished to keep that interaction separate from veterans to allow them a clear voice in putting forward their ideas then this post would not exist.

Unfortunately it now appears that this interaction took place in a rather secretive and exclusive fashion which has appeared like they are back tracking on their promises to their current loyal customer base. I do not believe this is a positive interaction for the company.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #223
Bags
Lieutenant General

If they don't have any vets to voice criticism of the game, they will have serious group think issues.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-13, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #224
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
If they don't have any vets to voice criticism of the game, they will have serious group think issues.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the purpose of the first platoon thing. If it's for developer feedback, isn't that what PSU is for? Why wouldn't they want more veteran outfits in there? Most PS outfits have played many other games and MMOs since PlanetSide, giving them a diverse and unique perspective.
Old 2012-06-13, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #225
Mechzz
Major

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the purpose of the first platoon thing. If it's for developer feedback, isn't that what PSU is for? Why wouldn't they want more veteran outfits in there? Most PS outfits have played many other games and MMOs since PlanetSide, giving them a diverse and unique perspective.
The posts might have been deleted by Goku in the general flame-fest that happened a page or 2 into the thread, but PS outfits and players have been invited to the First Platoon programme.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion