If There Was A Singleplayer PlanetSide-based Game... - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sigbot ate my parents!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-15, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Dougnifico
First Lieutenant

Re: If There Was A Singleplayer PlanetSide-based Game...

I would want a customizable protagonist in an open world. You pick your faction and then have it like Far Cry 3. You would have open world dynamic AI, a much lower TTK (because I think most can agree that a high TTK computer can get annoying, especially in an open world), more health and shield that you can upgrade to, and the ability to scavenge enemy weapons and equipment. I would use the same world with the same maps, but add random encampments of enemy forces in the boonies. Also, fauna would be a must. The AI would do major offensives and try to take ground leading to massive battles, only now since its single player you can be OP as hell and do crazy shit to win the battle.

Dude, screw you, now I want to play it.... lol
Old 2013-05-15, 11:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by CToxin View Post
The planetside lore isn't good for a SP game. The war only started AFTER immortality was discovered. Before then, the Vanu were just a small cult and the NC were more of a lobbying group of discontents. It took the wormhole closing off (which happened after immortality) to cause the discontents to be even more discontented to incite a rebellion. The VS just sort of said "me, why not?" and did so as well.
That's Planetside 1 lore. If you take PS2 however, the war there starts before immortality.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-05-16, 01:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Chewy
Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
That's Planetside 1 lore. If you take PS2 however, the war there starts before immortality.
I not certain of that. Read this.
http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/Rise_of_the_Empires

On the last bit it says.

"Over the course of the war, the adoption of "Rebirthing" technology and nanotech rapid-construction methods by all three Empires has effectively eliminated attrition from warfare for the first time in human history. As a result it is likely impossible that any Empire will ever achieve total victory."

"the adoption of "Rebirthing" technology"

Respawn tech was more than likely already in existence in that world before the war started. Without knowing what happened in the unrecorded 175 years between Higgs suicide and the war starting I can't say when the tech was invented but Im certain that it was well before the war. Maybe the respawn tech is the reason for the lapse in recorded history and the maybe a factor for even the wars start.

If no one can die then why would records of greatness be written? Without death then even a name can loose its meaning as the person with that name will never be lost. Why do we remember those that died and the times they lived in? Because they died.

As for a reason for the war starting. How couldn't a war start in a deathless world? No death, no fear of death and no way to stop the start of an endless war.

In every part of the lore that details a fight or something like one a death count is given. But not for the massacres in the Koarr region. THE thing that started the war and no death counts at all. Not even a hint of a death count, just that people got hurt by the masses time and time again. Why give death counts if they only got killed and respawned? It'll still be a massacre but one without a singe death.
Old 2013-05-16, 03:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Respawn tech was more than likely already in existence in that world before the war started. Without knowing what happened in the unrecorded 175 years between Higgs suicide and the war starting I can't say when the tech was invented but Im certain that it was well before the war. Maybe the respawn tech is the reason for the lapse in recorded history and the maybe a factor for even the
This begs the question - do you remember the entry of the war start? There was a rather definitive description of some TR red headed girl, that died during the conflict and, apparently, didn't respawn.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-05-16, 03:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Gatekeeper
Sergeant Major

Honestly, no, I don't think I'd play it. I love Planetside - but I love it because of the depth and scale of the MP experience - the actual lore is pretty weak, the art direction is uninspired and there's not much in the way of features or mechanics that are particularly fun or interesting outside of the MP/teamplay implications.

Don't get me wrong, I've got just as much time for a good SP game as for a good MP one - but the ingredients that make a good SP are very different to those that make a good MP one. Honestly I'd rather see most SP games drop their tacked-on MP modes, and I don't see anything good coming out of dedicated MP games spawning SP spin-offs.

Old 2013-05-16, 04:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
...created by a non-affiliated studio (in case you want to play the unnecessary drain of human resource card), on which side would you want to see the protagonist? Or would you rather have it (Old) CoD style, where there are several protagonists?

Because I would love to play an SP game based around PlanetSide lore and, I think, the protagonist should be NC. This would allow for a wonderful prisonbreak sequence in the beginning. I also think if it's ever created, the timeline should be set before the immortality and cover the first days of war with TR, alongside with VS joining the fight. Not to mention that you can have flashbacks of the bombing of Discovery-7 and such.

In short, the questions:
  1. Would you play the game?
  2. On which side would you want to see the protagonist?
  3. Would you rather have it (Old) CoD style, where there are 2 or more protagonists?

P.S. Hell, I wish I could attach a poll to this.
I think FPS games are extremely bad/boring in single player mode. Only way to make some sort of FPS play style fun in single player mode is to go the way Fallout 3 and later Fallout games have done it, to make a RPG game with aim based weapons played in first person view.

But if a PS single player game was made like a Bethesda (Fallout/Elderscroll) style game I would like to see the protagonist to be TR. A VS protagonist would come off as to mush as a gay elf lord and a NC protagonist would be too mush of a redneck idiot that no one would take seriously.
Old 2013-05-16, 08:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
RSphil
Contributor
Major

the only way id play a planetside single player game is if it was made to tell the story before the main war we are in now. like a lore game. that would be interesting to me.
Old 2013-05-17, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

I'd play it. With a good story and good gameplay, I don't see why the game wouldn't be fun.

On top of my head, I remember Half Life (it actually got me into FPS). I'd imagine a PS game like C&C:Renegade but that one wasn't too great, though.

You can make a good game about anything... if/when you make good games. But even then it's still somewhat subjective.

Proof ? I enjoyed PS1, I did not enjoy PS2. They are supposed to be the same concept...
Old 2013-05-17, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Figment
Lieutenant General

We all know there should be a PS RTS based on the original C&C engine.

http://www.desura.com/mods/cc-auraxis

Wish that guy would have finished that, even if it is C&C Generals.

Old 2013-05-17, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Rolfski
Major

I can always appreciate a good SP fps experience (Farcry3 and Bioshock Infinite comes to recent mind) and a SP campaign would certainly help building the Planetside universe/IP and getting people more acquainted with the background story.

However, I'm not sure if the PS lore is or can be made interesting enough. It reminds me of the boring sci-fi story behind Supreme Commander, it's just a vehicle to have three factions fighting. They need a serious writer team to make a good SP campaign story out of the current lore.

Unless this game becomes a long lasting success, it's not going to happen anyway. But if this IP somehow becomes profitable enough to build upon, at least they already have an excellent engine to license to another studio for making a massive scale SP Planetside campaign. As long as SOE keeps focussing on the current core game, I'm totally fine with that.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion