Gameplay: Outfit Resources - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Admin Powers: the Admin that shagged me
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-07-18, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Deadeye
Sergeant

Outfit Resources

I was thinking about how there are certain players within outfits that are going to be spending their resources more than others to help the outfit. To make the concept clear I will use my own outfit as an example without giving out names.

I am part of the Support Company in my outfit in Planetside 1. Support Company in my outfit are the guys who pull galaxies, lodestars and AMSs during outfit operations. We don't get much of the glory of storming the base, just the satisfaction we got our guys there in one piece while we sit off in the corner for the next attack.

The problem lies in the fact that in PS1 vehicles are free with a spawn timer of about 5 minutes. In PS2 though, they are going to cost resources and guys like myself, although most of us don't mind too much, are going to be paying "out-of-pocket" so to speak for our outfit to do things which comes to my suggestion.

I'd like to suggest that a system is put into place whereby outfits are allowed to tax their members. The taxed resources (A variable number set by the outfit leader) would then be able to be allocated to various members for pulling outfit vehicles like galaxies or tanks to be used for training or whatever other purpose the outfit leaders see fit.

Here's an example of what a typical operation night might look like under the proposed taxing system.

It's Saturday night and it's Ops night. The outfit leadership wants to go behind enemy lines and take a base or two. The man in charge of the operation is given special authorization to allocate outfit resources for the operations. Let's call him the Commander.

The Commander gives Support guys A and B permission, through a drop down menu or some other system, to pull one galaxy each. A galaxy costs, let's say, 10K resources and the outfit has 100K resources to spend. So each guy pulls a galaxy and it's paid for by the outfit. Additional ones will cost Guys A and B unless they get permission to pull them again. Everyone gets in the galaxies and goes off to kill the enemy.

In my outfit we also like to do training nights too. We practice various tactics and procedures. Let's say it's training night and the training leader wants to pull a tank to show the squad how to kill one. In PS1 there was no grief for killing platoon mates and vehicles were free so this was not a problem.

I don't know how grief will work in 2 but let's say there is none but they still need to pull a tank. Well, this is another situation where the outfit, thanks to having a stockpile of resources from their taxes, could allow the training officer to pull a tank or two to practice on.

I think this could be a useful system and is actually implimented in other games (I think even WOW has a small tax system in place). What do you guys think?

P.S. sorry if it's be discussed before, didn't see anything pop up on search.
Old 2012-07-18, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Re: Outfit Resources

Hmmm... as a support/fighter pilot, I definitely like this idea. I'm very curious how much love we support players will get.

I'm liking this idea, though I don't see something like this happening in PS2 until well after launch.
Old 2012-07-19, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Loco
Private

I had an idea that I put in another thread. It helps support your idea.

On outfit uniforms.

A lot of people think about enforcing vs not. How about using a page from City of Heroes.

In COH you have super groups. You earned super group points while in uniform.

I'm not sure if Outfits will have their own resources. If they do this could work.

Say a normal player no matter what contributes X amount of resources to the outfit when they are playing.

If the player suits up in an outfit uniform they earn 1.5x or 2x the resources.

This of course could also work in the way of City of Heroes.

Players earn x resources.
Of that when they are not in "Outfit" mode they keep it all.
When in "outfit" mode they wear the uniform and give 1/2x resources to the outfit and keep 1/2x for themselves.
Old 2012-07-20, 06:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ZaBa
Corporal

Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
The problem lies in the fact that in PS1 vehicles are free with a spawn timer of about 5 minutes. In PS2 though, they are going to cost resources and guys like myself, although most of us don't mind too much, are going to be paying "out-of-pocket" so to speak for our outfit to do things which comes to my suggestion.
Seems like PS2 has spawn timer for vehicles as well right now, on the order of 5-15 minutes, so you're probably not going to be able to pull several of the same vehicle at once no matter how big your bank is. I would imagine this is partly to balance vehicle populations, and partly to avoid "oh let me just pull half a dozen max-spec tanks for my squad, because I'm certed up and they're not". (to clarify, as far as we know certs don't have any affect on what you can do this time, only on what you have access to at an equipment terminal)

I can see it being fairly useful anyway, if only because of the difference in cost between a fistful of grenades and a Liberator. Even after timers, it's only going to take one or two accidents for pilots to find themselves eating a lot more resources than infantry.

Last edited by ZaBa; 2012-07-20 at 06:26 AM.
Old 2012-07-20, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Deadeye
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ZaBa View Post
Seems like PS2 has spawn timer for vehicles as well right now, on the order of 5-15 minutes, so you're probably not going to be able to pull several of the same vehicle at once no matter how big your bank is. I would imagine this is partly to balance vehicle populations, and partly to avoid "oh let me just pull half a dozen max-spec tanks for my squad, because I'm certed up and they're not". (to clarify, as far as we know certs don't have any affect on what you can do this time, only on what you have access to at an equipment terminal)

I can see it being fairly useful anyway, if only because of the difference in cost between a fistful of grenades and a Liberator. Even after timers, it's only going to take one or two accidents for pilots to find themselves eating a lot more resources than infantry.
That's why I suggest that the Commander in my suggestion is allowed to either give Guys A and B the resources and they each pull a galaxy or the commander can use a drop down menu system for each soldier and use that to say "You, Guy A can pull one galaxy and you, Guy B, can pull one Galaxy" and they go ahead and buy them and the resources are automatically deducted from the Outfit's bank account.

Since each guy is pulling a galaxy and not just the commander, you avoid the spawn timer and the outfit can still foot the bill for the galaxies.
Old 2012-07-28, 04:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Tzitzimitl
Private

I really hope that they implement a system like this.
Old 2012-07-28, 04:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Gugabalog
Major

They already have states that this is unlikely and that instead outfit members will have to be judicious in their resource expenditure.
Old 2012-07-28, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Novice bot
Sergeant

The concept may sound good on paper, but the vehicles cost resources on purpose; Losing a vehicle is a penalty in form of resources. So everyone just cannot respawn, get a tank and keep on rolling. Due to this, I believe sharing resources should not be allowed.
Old 2012-08-19, 01:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Archonzero
Sergeant

In all honesty I think the resource system is going towards buying unlocks/upgrades and packages, not the actual base vehicle. Having the actual vehicle cost resources for every respawn, while on paper is a great logistical advocate for strategic elements, but will be more of deterrent to players expecting a fast paced action shooter, which PS2 is more or less "presenting".

Bogging down players options for what they want to pilot vehicles by forcing players to spend x amount of resources, means they will be spending larger amounts of time as infantry an less time fullfilling the role they would like to spend time learning/playing with.

I can see advanced specialized vehicles (faction or common pool) requiring resources to spawn. Heavy Tanks/mobile artillery, Heavy Support vehicles (airships or an Small Mobile Support base, think AMS with MAX/light Vehicle spawner)

Timers are fine, maybe add a feature for players to overridden a timer with a resource payment, with a penalty that if that vehicle is destroyed before the timer has run down, the timer penalty/cost increases.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault