New Continent System - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I thought you were from Hong Kong.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-01-05, 11:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
USdude
Private

Lightbulb New Continent System

I have been thinking that the continent system should be redone. I think a cool idea would be to have the continents interconnected by oceans who's maps would be the size of regular continent maps.

Oceans:
Would interconnect Continents and warp gates. you would exit a continent by leaving through the normal Out-Of-Bounds sides of the map. the oceans would either be laid out to transport people horizontally or vertically and you would only be able to leave through the appropriate side. Ocean maps would mean you would need to also implement boats which would be cool. an array of island would be littered throughout each ocean with strategic staging areas on the bigger ones. One highway bridge would run from island to island making it possible for convoys to move through. there are two spawning facilities on opposite ends in this world.

Warp Gates:
Warp gates would be removed from each continent and placed on three separate islands that are on three different points farthest away from each other on the equator. Each warp gate would belong to one faction and could not be taken over. Warp gates would technically not be warp gates anymore but oh well.

Spawning:
you could always spawn at warp gates. In order for you to spawn in a continent your faction would have to take over at least one the three of the Main Spawning Facilities that now replace the locations of the old warp gates. once you have your spawning facility captured you can start taking over territories like normal. Spawning facilities are elevated about 6meters of the ground with an defense walls like amp stations. there are three shielded entrances and each defense tower has one of each kind of turret. the main station design i will leave up to the Devs except that it should be centered around the high way bridge from the incoming ocean. (edit)If at least one spawning facility in a Continent/Ocean belongs to your faction then you can "warp" or re-spawn at that facility from the Warp gate island or other spawning facilities.

Moving from Continent to Ocean to Continent:
Moving form one Continent map to the an ocean map should be seamless what should happen is a little notification would pop up asking you if you really want to move to the next map or you can have a check box in general settings that makes it so it automatically moves you to the next map once your in correct edge of the old one. if you warp over in an air vehicle your speed and height should be remembered for when the next map loads. If your in ground or water vehicle your speed will be remembered. For all vehicles the Relative position to the boundaries of the map will be remembered ,for example your at coordinates 60 degrees west and the boundary your heading through is north of you then you will spawn on the correct side of the new map and at 60 degrees west.if you go Out-Of-Bounds you die. if a Continent/Ocean is full and your at the edge of the old map a Red Warning will pop up on your screen saying "Max Limit reached" it will also do that if your in a vehicle with more then one person and the map doesn't have enough room for everyone. If the Max Limit message lights up then you are given 15 secs to return to normal map before being destroyed.

Things that would have to be added:
Swimming - For troops to have a fair chance in the ocean.
Skycrane Galaxy Augmentation - To carry vehicles faster (Link not Yet Available)
Flash equivalent of boat - to have a fast small boat to get around on
Harasser equivalent of boat - to have a quick hit and run boat
Sundy equivalent of boat - so you can spawn while capping an island
Lighting equivalent of boat - NS gun boat for all factions
Faction specific boat - a boat that has whatever factions' properties

I'm still sketching pictures so those will be up and any other things i forgot will be added. Post any Questions and Comments. Opinions are very much welcome .

Last edited by USdude; 2014-01-07 at 05:54 PM.
Old 2014-01-05, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
USdude
Private

Re: New Continent System

Ahh yes, I knew I forgot something important the Big floating ship idea that Baneblade ( thread http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=41198 ) came up with would work perfectly with this because the square kilometers would increase significantly and it wouldn't feel as crampeted

Last edited by USdude; 2014-01-05 at 11:26 PM.
Old 2014-01-07, 07:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
ringring
Contributor
General

In principle it could work but I think you'd need to add the intercontinental lattice that we've talked so much about and also the additional continents Hossin plus battle isand plus Searhus and more. More continents will make the strategic side of ps much better.

The warpgates as you've described have become the sanctuaries of old.

Would you envisage that if you left the map going into the ocean in the north it would take you to a different continent than if you left it in a south, ie the continent that you travel to would be dependent on where you travel from?

The biggest negative is that it will require all those new vehicles you've mentioned to be created. I wouldn't see that as a showstopper though it all depends on whether the devs want to go in this direction.

The standard PS method of travel between continents would be via the warpgates, ie the warpgates actually warp and the those stupid terminals are removed. I think that would probably be better.
Old 2014-01-07, 05:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
USdude
Private

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
Would you envisage that if you left the map going into the ocean in the north it would take you to a different continent than if you left it in a south, ie the continent that you travel to would be dependent on where you travel from?.
This is what i had in mind and when i finish the sketch that im working on it might become a bit clearer what i mean. But in general is that you have to travel to a different continent via the correct route like you would in a real war and that depending on which direction you leave through you go to a different ocean that leads to a different continent.
Originally Posted by ringring View Post
The biggest negative is that it will require all those new vehicles you've mentioned to be created. I wouldn't see that as a showstopper though it all depends on whether the devs want to go in this direction
Yes I'm very much aware that this is the biggest Fault in this idea. Yet I don't really see a way of implementing my idea properly without adding these items to the vehicle list. But implementing oceans a couple dozen facilities or more and an entirely new continent system is already so much work that i don't think that it would seem all that much more significant to add a few vehicles to it.

Last edited by USdude; 2014-01-07 at 06:01 PM.
Old 2014-01-07, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
USdude
Private

New Continet System Sketch

There Finished the sketch. An addition to the Leaving continent/ocean through appropriate boundary is that that if the boundary has multiple leaving options then the boundary would be split up into thirds and the outer two would be the leaving zones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Continent System 001.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	1242  

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault