Mechs - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The Unoffically Offical Unoffical #1 Fan site
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-25, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
zMessiahz
Sergeant

Hey Warborn, while you are most likely correct in what us forum goers, including yourself, know... I gotta disagree on the outcome. While we may be a minority, dev teams do listen to forums. Certainly not individual people, but if enough ppl ask for or bitch about the same thing... games change. This is especially true for persistent worlds.

Look at this forum... the producer of PlanetSide posts here from time to time, so you know the dev team at least sees some of this stuff.

Now don't get on a high horse and tell me I have an inflated view of my own self worth. Its a community thing, not an individualistic thing.
Old 2002-12-25, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
zMessiahz
Sergeant

While we are at it... can I get a death star and super star destroyer???
Old 2002-12-25, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Tegadil
Corporal

Originally posted by zMessiahz
While we are at it... can I get a death star and super star destroyer???
Only if I get an A-Wing.

Please insert face.
Old 2002-12-25, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Hamma
PSU Admin

If forums mean nothing than just dont post. Several Dev team members read PSU.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2002-12-25, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Sputty
Banned

I'd assume mechs would be a MAX/tank mixture...I think it'd fit as long as they aren't the deathly powerful Mechs that we know. Dillute them a little. Make the have a rocket launcher and a chain gun and make it have twice the amror of a tank and a thrid of the mobility. I was think a super MAX as well. Huge 80 foot mechs would be stupid but I thyink a smaller common pool mech, basically being a tank with legs, wuld be interesting but it's probably been discussed by the Devs alot more seriously than us but most people seem against it.
Old 2002-12-25, 07:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

I agree with Warborn to the extent that developers often heed forum outcry at their game's peril. They should always listen (or at least pretend to), but gaming enthusiasts do not a development team make. That isn't to say that forums are worthless. Quite the contrary, they are a great place to trade ideas and discuss them with people who obviously care enough to devote their time to your work. I just wouldn't want the dev team to place too much weight on the 'forum consensus' and end up screwing the game up in the process.
Old 2002-12-25, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Xtc
Private

Originally posted by Sputty
I'd assume mechs would be a MAX/tank mixture...I think it'd fit as long as they aren't the deathly powerful Mechs that we know. Dillute them a little. Make the have a rocket launcher and a chain gun and make it have twice the amror of a tank and a thrid of the mobility. I was think a super MAX as well. Huge 80 foot mechs would be stupid but I thyink a smaller common pool mech, basically being a tank with legs, wuld be interesting but it's probably been discussed by the Devs alot more seriously than us but most people seem against it.

i was having a similar idea if a mech WAS added it would actually be a MAX(suped up on double everything)

2x the size of a max
2x chainguns
2x armor
but say 1/2? or 1/4 agility

max's are pretty much a mech imo

i was hoping the MAX would be a mech
Old 2002-12-25, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Some of you seem to be misunderstanding. I'm not saying that there's no reason to have forums. Quite the contrary, they're extremely beneficial for games -- MMOGs in particular. These sorts of social games owe much of their success to the social relationships which prior to the game's release often blossom on forums like this one, and continue on into the game itself. Just look at EverQuest for proof. Without the kind of interaction you find on forums, games like EQ which offer piss-poor gameplay would be dead in the water. Social interaction is as important, if not more important (although the days of crap gameplay MMOGs is definitely waning) than the game itself.

So, no, I'm not saying that posting on forums is wrong. Or that talking about game-related issues is wrong. I do it fairly often myself, and I enjoy it too. Which is why I posted what I did. I've never discussed Planetside Mechs before, and I'm sure at least one other (the original poster) is in the same category. So who cares if some people on some other forum talked about it. It's not like they decided amongst themselves the future of Planetside. They were just talking, nothing more. So let us talk. Leave the "Well we talked about this a year ago and came to an agreement, so there's no use in you talking about it now" stuff at the door.

Oh, and as for the developers reading this forum, yeah, I know they do. But, I doubt anything that we the fans have thought of hasn't been considered in one form or another by them. Or, at least I hope not, given that thinking of cool stuff for Planetside is what they do for a living at the moment.

Last edited by Warborn; 2002-12-26 at 11:44 AM.
Old 2002-12-25, 07:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Sputty
Banned

There are two separate discussions in one forum..hehe...well, I think forums will always be useful and necessary..if we can't find a plavce to say out opinion openly then why live ina democracy
Old 2002-12-25, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

oops

Oh yeah, Mecha... I like them but they would be undeliverable. That makes them more or less heavy tanks in my book, only with a larger target profile and a ton of joints to cripple. Outside a universe that is centered around Mecha for story reasons, they don't make such great weapons. Something scaled like a MAX is a lot more useful.
Old 2002-12-25, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

if we can't find a plavce to say out opinion openly then why live ina democracy
Forums aren't actually a democracy. You have no rights on them, save those the forum administrator provides you with. And even then, they can be revoked at any time. For instance, Hamma could IP ban me right now, and there wouldn't be anything I could say against it, as it's his forum, and I'm a guest here.

But, anyway, about those Mechs...
Old 2002-12-25, 08:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
mistled
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

wait wait wait... let's go back to that whole the world doesn't start and stop because I say so bit.... wtf is that?? when did that start?? I think the world is quite happy starting and stopping as I see fit.

... about the mechs though. I still think it would screw with game balance to introduce something like a mech, even one as small as what some of you are saying. Introducing mech's basically forces this into a vehicle only game. How else do you stop a mech from wasting you?? How many people do you think you'll see in jeeps if they can't even hurt a mech?? I'm probably a little too pessimistic about their effects, but as someone who prefers to do battle on foot with rifles and machine guns, I do not want to be forced to carry a rocket launcher with me everywhere I go.

mistled

...Visit {BOHICA}...

{BOHICA}: Giving it to Gamers, One Ass Kicking at a Time
Old 2002-12-26, 03:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Vimp
Sergeant

I'm very much in favor to the idea of a mech. And since simply dropping anything into the game is gonna mess it up then the same goes for a mech introduction. Thus you introduce something like a Mech along with a bunch of things that balance it out as well.

A Mech for example could be something that could require all your certs in one area thus not everyone would be willing to sacrifice every other position just to use a mech. Mechs, like all things would have there draw backs to say the least. One of the best things about adding a mech would be the immense size and scale it would add to everything. a lone foot soldior would likly indeed choose to hide when he sees a mech on the horizon but that hardly makes the mech elite against all. A couple MAXs coming up behind a mech could do serious damage if the system is balanced out. Not to mention the tanks and other things.

A Foot soldior to a tank right now would be a buggy to a mech in commparison perhaps. Anyways. Point being games like Mechwarrior don't give you the since of size like a lumbering, 3 story mech would to a player standing beside it in PS.
Old 2002-12-26, 04:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
quiet
Staff Sergeant

Mechs in Mechwarrior (battletech) are way overpowered compared to other vehicles for no explainible reason. As far a PS game balance goes it would be easy to just make mechs similar to tanks, dealing with a mech could just be similar to dealing with a tank as far as armor and firepower goes. From a realism standpoint a mech couldn't have armor like a tank, though a 2 legged walker could do extremly effective crouch/stand pop up style attacking and scouting. I can imagine a very cool mecha expansion vehicle utilizing vanu tech, at least for the VS.

Something I feel is missing in PS is customization/uniqueness, something which Mechwarrior4 has tons of. I would like it if we could adjust/tweak/loadout the MAXs besides just selecting AI or AA or AT.

So I guess I'm saying mechs would be cool in my mind but I am really hoping they expand more on the MAX's.
Old 2002-12-26, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Mold
Sergeant

only way i could see something that big working in ps is if it didnt have hardly any combat capability. like a giant walking AMS. Or perhaps it could be like an AMS, but more combat oriented instead of stealth. Like instead of a cloaking device it could have long range artillery and machine gun mounts. Even tho this post isnt about the AMS....i think the 3 empires should have their own ams designs.

mustt...resist..flaame...

Last edited by Mold; 2002-12-26 at 12:20 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion