Mechs - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where outfits AREN'T clothes.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2002-12-29, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Zartax
Private

Re: Mechs wouldn't unbalance

Originally posted by Stalefish
I believe they both have their advantages as well. Mechs stand higher, so in flat ground battles they'd have a longer range than a tank, and they'd also have the infamous "stomping" ability that everyone loves. But, instability is the price you pay for the extra advantages. Maybe make a mech with four legs to have increased stability and the range modifier as well?
As stated before, Mechs are not as useful as a tank of the same tonnage can be. A modern tank have over a meter armour in the front, and a little less on the sides and back. Having that on a Mech would be impossible if the Mech isn't huge in size, which instead makes a great target. And the legs are too much of a softspot to not be considered as a huge disadvantage. One hit from a tank at one of the legs would render the Mech totally useless. Think Star Wars or Robocop, when the Mech falls over.

As for the increase in range, it would be minimal. If it is, say, 3 m taller, then the increase in range compared to a tank would be approximately 3 m. The range of a tank is several km, so the rangeadvantage is none.

A modern tank can go as fast as ~70 km/h through rough terrain and forrests, plowing through the trees like it was a plains. I find it hard to see a Mech doing that. The Mech might be better at extremely rough terrain though, but not that much better. The balance would be a problem. Some tanks can even travel on water, using the tracks as a propellant. A biped cannot do that.

But the stomping ability is cool though.
Old 2002-12-29, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Unknown
First Sergeant

Speaking of mechs...
For those of you Tribes 2 goers:
http://www.mechina.com/mod/

If you like mechs it could be a fun way to pass the time while we wait on PS
Old 2002-12-29, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Stalefish
Corporal

Tanks couldn't go through thick forest like a mech could, it's not like a tank can just mow down a tree. There aren't many things that can do that.
Old 2002-12-29, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

... it's not like a tank can just mow down a tree.
Some of the heavier tanks from World War 2 were quite capable of running over trees and plowing through brick houses with no trouble. Even still, a tank would have a far easier time of it than a Mech would if they're both the same weight. A Mech would be prone to tripping.
Old 2002-12-29, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Zartax
Private

Originally posted by Warborn
Some of the heavier tanks from World War 2 were quite capable of running over trees and plowing through brick houses with no trouble.
If they could, just think about what todays tanks can do. A modern assault tank of 65 tons going 70 km/h mow down 3 dm thick pinetrees like toothpicks.

Then consider that Planetside is future. (Though, I hardly see the tanks in the game mowing trees. But it would be fun, and more realistic. Devs?)
Old 2002-12-29, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Terrain deformation creates a lot of problems and adds very little. So you won't be seeing trees being pushed over anytime soon, I don't think.
Old 2002-12-29, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

I gotta say, the MAX is pretty much a mini mech, so that's as good as it'll get I think.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2002-12-29, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Only things similar between the two is that both are generally humanoid, and both rely on some sort of power supply to function. MAX's are exoskeletons and likely respond to the wearer's movement, while Mechs are generally piloted with, y'know, levers and pedals and a control stick and whatever else. I think you'd be more accurate saying a tank is as close to a Mech as you're going to see. Only major difference between those two is that one uses tracks/hover technology to propel it, and the other uses legs.
Old 2002-12-29, 06:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

I meant in looks. Sorry. Blow a MAX up 40 times it's size and you've got an atlas.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2002-12-29, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Powerflux
Conqueror

Bam bam BOOOM!!! ZAAAP!! Pow pow BAM!
Bing POW!!! BAM BAM BAM!!!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion