SOE Vision - in general. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This isn't the forum!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-06-25, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Chanfan
Staff Sergeant

SOE Vision - in general.

Here is a Sony exec's ranchers guide on how to herd the community.

Here is a link to the official forums where I got the link from.

I know, I know - I'm enjoying PS anyway. It's just an interesting insight into the corporate mind.

Ignorance was bliss.
Old 2003-06-25, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
JakeLogan
Major

haha what?
Old 2003-06-25, 03:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Planet Side is currently somewere between trouble makers verbal and going live! Hmmmmm. Bastards!!!! Everything in there happened.
Old 2003-06-25, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
teratravp
Corporal

"Troublemakers, type I: verbal�Can they become ombudsmen? �Do they have a sub-community that sees them as a leader? �Do they have their own forums? � �Can they be ostracized? �Must be seen to make public effort to communicate �You�ll need to put on a show of sorrow when you fail �Make comments to 3rd party about your sorrow too � �Do you have excuses for banning? �Language is the most common"

This is the most disturbing part, especially since the last sentence clearly indicates that it is their practice to ban people they perceive as not part of the "sheeple", and to use a bullshit reason like language to do it.

I've been hovering around waiting for PS to get that content and depth boost and join in... but this is enough to wrap my interest up in a tidy little package that I can throw away and never think about again.

PS is such a bizarre, PUNITIVE, for god's sake, game. They get off on punishing and herding people, look at the extent they've fussed over the systems of doing just that rather then make a game... This is just too weird for my blood... buh bye PS.
Old 2003-06-25, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Lise
Second Lieutenant

Don�t share this info with your users
TOO LATE, MOTHERBITCHES.

Won't make me leave just yet though. If they start pulling this shit hardcore then I'm gone, but if they get a brain (as I suspect Smokejumper and Stryker will force them to do on threat of resigning from SOE) then PS should be OK.

But yes, from now on I take everything Sporkfire says with a grain of salt.
Old 2003-06-25, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Doppler
Contributor
Major

And this suprises who?

Sony is a business, and gaming is a big business. They have a responsibility to protect their livelyhood and I support that. It's important to know that I either agree nor dispute the rightness of the bans they hand out, but I do support their right to do it.

Personally I avoid the OF i dont care about their press releases so long as content updates are regular, which they have been. I have PSU fuck the OF.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2003-06-25, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Oh by the way where's the link?

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2003-06-25, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
IDgaf
Sergeant

Why is this a surprise? It's called business.

Nothing that this company is doing is unusual - it's what all corporations (and governments) have been doing for a long long time.

Want to know to why PSU gets Smoke to comment - but no-one drills Smoke about the hard issues? Look to that first document.

No matter how cynical you may be about companies, the reality is always worse. If you're not cynical, you should start being so.
Old 2003-06-25, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Intruder
First Sergeant

[QUOTE]Originally posted by teratravp
"Troublemakers, type I: verbal�Can they become ombudsmen? �Do they have a sub-community that sees them as a leader? �Do they have their own forums? � �Can they be ostracized? �Must be seen to make public effort to communicate �You�ll need to put on a show of sorrow when you fail �Make comments to 3rd party about your sorrow too � �Do you have excuses for banning? �Language is the most common"

This is the most disturbing part, especially since the last sentence clearly indicates that it is their practice to ban people they perceive as not part of the "sheeple", and to use a bullshit reason like language to do it.

QUOTE]

I love hypocracy

If this is a shock to you, any of you reading it, then you haven't experienced first hand the corporate world. Its more ruthless than a game of PS or a bully in the school yard.
This hs been the way for any game you have or will play, all I can suggest is enjoy the read, and either :
1. don't let it get to you and keep on playing the games you love.
or
2. If it annoys you soo much, then get out there create your own game and community and experience it first hand...

Information is power, go grab the power - M Meehan

The second one he was in his skeeter
Old 2003-06-25, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Hamma
PSU Admin

Very interesting. Bet someone will be losing their job over that getting out

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-06-25, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
teratravp
Corporal

"If this is a shock to you, any of you reading it, then you haven't experienced first hand the corporate world. Its more ruthless than a game of PS or a bully in the school yard.
This hs been the way for any game you have or will play, all I can suggest is enjoy the read, and either :
1. don't let it get to you and keep on playing the games you love.
or
2. If it annoys you soo much, then get out there create your own game and community and experience it first hand..."

Hey, just because that's the way it is doesn't mean it isn't shocking to me. People get murdered/raped/what have you everyday that doesn't make it less shocking to hear their story. This is a far different issue, far, far different... but if it's something I don't like at all then hey, yes, I'm going to be shocked.

I mean, mainly I work all day in an environment of this exact corporatism of the worst most twistedly PR out the wazoo even with your own employees type, and I work all day and have to follow the rules... so how is PS fun if not only is it about extreme rules and penalities, but also full of this dehumanizing hucksterism... In my entertainment - and this is a personal decision - I try to go for the original stuff, the honest stuff, not the manufactured garbage that runneth over the world in the first place. I want an escape from the thought control and the pretense and the assholes conniving behind your back to screw you out of every penny... and PS seems to be wedded to all of that. It has some good in it but that is greatly overshadowed by the bullcrap involved, and c'mon that's not going to change. I mean hey a woman can marry a man who beats her thinking he'll change... but is that a good decision?
Old 2003-06-25, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

I wonder if anyone will mirror that content before it gets pulled.

The slideshow to go with my presentation on how to successfully enjoy a SOE game is only one slide long:

For some reason, they won't let me present it at GDC.

edit >

I missed your post, terartavrp. Playing Planetside is like marrying someone who beats you? Thought control? It's a good thing you don't take yourself too seriously

Last edited by Airlift; 2003-06-25 at 11:41 PM.
Old 2003-06-26, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
MilitantB0B
Colonel

I am not suprised. Sony is in it to mae money, not to make a quality video game or game comunity. If making a good game or comunity helps them make money, they'll do it. Honestly, if I ever find a way to make money off SOE, I won't feel bad doing it.
Old 2003-06-26, 12:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Contributor
Banned for no reason

Misc Info

Originally posted by Hamma
Bet someone will be losing their job over that getting out
:yup:

Old 2003-06-26, 06:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Knuckles
Staff Sergeant

Uhhh...

Am I the only one that thinks that this is a joke or a hoax?

[Edit: I read the thread on the message board where it, the link, came from... and I don't believe it's a hoax anymore. In that light - the document makes You go "Hmmmm...", doesn't it?]

Last edited by Knuckles; 2003-06-26 at 06:12 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion