I'm sure many of you already seen this but.. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: LOST: Puppy, goes by the name of "Hamma", reward if found
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-10, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
EVILoHOMER
Major

Re: I'm sure many of you already seen this but..

Is fog cheating? Everyone has triangles above them that you know where people are through the fog anyways. In fact most the time I cannot see anyone in the distance (especially at night) but I just shoot at triangles..........

I really don't think it has any impact.

I personally want hardcore servers like BF3 with no triangles, it was retarded in that game and it is retarded in PS2.
Old 2012-10-10, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
Is fog cheating? Everyone has triangles above them that you know where people are through the fog anyways. In fact most the time I cannot see anyone in the distance (especially at night) but I just shoot at triangles..........

I really don't think it has any impact.
Seriously? Time for a reality check.

With a triangle in the fog, you can't see if it's behind an object BECAUSE OF THE FOG.

Secondly, NOT EVERYONE HAS TRIANGLES OVER THEIR HEAD, as you have to manually spot. Meaning you have a far easier time to detect those guys without triangles while if you don't have a triangle over your head because you're not being spotted by someone, that you have an incredible visibility advantage over someone else. Plus if you just see triangles, you can't actualy go for things like headshots without severe luck, which you can if you can make out the target well and can relate the drop.

There. Your entire argument GONE. Either your just dense that you can't see the difference between the two, or you're looking for excuses that justify cheating. Third option is both. Take your pick.

Either way, it's incredibly stupid to think it makes no impact. Try being a bit more imaginative and a bit less recalcitrant, lazy and juvenile in your thinking. Throwing a hissy fit when you don't get the game just like you want, so you change it to how you want it is incredibly immature. I hope you don't mind being compared to crybabies, because you are.

If you change the client to gain a visibility advantage, REGARDLESS OF HOW SMALL YOU THINK THE IMPACT IS, then you're a cheat. Simple. Note that with fog, visibility is approximately 0.1-1km, opposed to what, 6km without fog, then the difference is rather significant, wouldn't you say?
Old 2012-10-10, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by cellinaire View Post
A good critic is the one who uses both the stick and carrot...

And about the fog.

Leave the fog as is? Nope.

Tone it down and make it a non-constant weather condition.
I finally logged into Esamir on Monday night. I was so hoping to see the terrain, but got met with just a massive white fog. Really doesn't show the true justice of the scale of the map IMO. Needs to be turned down a lot.

To those arguing about turning it off as cheating. I would rather have it off as I though Indar looked amazing with the /fog off command. As long as fog on or off has the same visibility (for seeing enemy units) it should be fine no?

Last edited by Goku; 2012-10-10 at 07:51 AM.
Old 2012-10-10, 08:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I finally logged into Esamir on Monday night. I was so hoping to see the terrain, but got met with just a massive white fog. Really doesn't show the true justice of the scale of the map IMO. Needs to be turned down a lot.

To those arguing about turning it off as cheating. I would rather have it off as I though Indar looked amazing with the /fog off command. As long as fog on or off has the same visibility (for seeing enemy units) it should be fine no?
The cheating discussion is not about whether it looks better on or off, it's about turning it off whilst others have it on.

Consider that we for instance were flying over a group of tanks with a Liberator. We knew there were 7 tanks below us thanks to the indicators, but we couldn't actually see them at all (not even the headlights since they had those off). That made leading the shots hard, as you couldn't estimate distance well without a good point of reference.

This changes the game play of aircav to ground vehicles significantly.

Turning it off means your visibility suddenly provides you with tons of points of reference, vehicles being clearly visible against the background (as well as seeing if the background isn't actually the foreground) and thus easy target selection and leading. The fog on Indar isn't at all comparable, since the Indar fog is only active in the far distance where you can't really fight a target effectively anyway. I don't see how you can have both crispy clear visuals and the same visibility as a fogged landscape at once. Do you instead want invisible tanks? But even then you have a better chance of hitting something by being able to relate your shots to the countryside.

If the selfishness of a few players removes the entire mechanism and thus poor visibility game play, what's the point of having it in the first place?
Old 2012-10-10, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
FenHarel
Private

Looks like some fights are gonna be going down! cant wait to get a key!
Old 2012-10-10, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Figment, I can't hear you over the sound of mimimimi coming from your direction.

@topic: I am very happy to hear that cross continental warfare is planned!
Old 2012-10-10, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

I logged in and found that it was impossible to access dual cyclers on a TR MAX unit from the get go.
I could do it in Planetside 1, where MAX units were more deadly due to indoor combat and tunnels being the primary focus, but not in Planetside 2 where MAX units are fodder we have to PAY for?

Are the devs on CRACK?
Is this game run by COD fanboys now?

Bring back MAX units.
Old 2012-10-10, 09:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
ringring
Contributor
General

Yes, it's better and it will get better still with more continents.

Also it implies the auraxium farming issue is going to be solved.

ps: judging from my frames fog makes no difference, I get the same on Indar and on Esamir ..... except when I made a NC char and had a look at the southern bases of Esamir, it was very foggy, there was no other person there and my frames went up by 50-60!
Old 2012-10-10, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Rat
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post
I logged in and found that it was impossible to access dual cyclers on a TR MAX unit from the get go.
I could do it in Planetside 1, where MAX units were more deadly due to indoor combat and tunnels being the primary focus, but not in Planetside 2 where MAX units are fodder we have to PAY for?

Are the devs on CRACK?
Is this game run by COD fanboys now?

Bring back MAX units.
Nothing wrong with Max units....save up some Auraxium and buy the other arm.

As far as the fog? I like it, I do agree that it should be a localized and random event, and shouldnt be able to be turned off.
Old 2012-10-10, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Sturmhardt View Post
Figment, I can't hear you over the sound of mimimimi coming from your direction.
Then maybe you should read instead, this is a written forum: there is no sound. So that sound might indicate there's something wrong with your speakers, or your hearing.

Bad troll is bad. Post a counter-argument or sod off with your flamebait.

Last edited by Figment; 2012-10-10 at 10:01 AM.
Old 2012-10-10, 09:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Angry Re: I'm sure many of you already seen this but..

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1512/higbycomments.jpg

Seems like mr.Higby and his team already have a plan to get rid of 'footholds on every continents' plan after Amerish is introduced... And he also talked about the fog. Interesting
Cheating to remove the fog/blizzard effect on Esamir? Idiots! That's part of the game play challenge. I do NOT like the pattern of removing content because people are trying to work around it by disabling it's use. I'm guessing they disabled things on their video cards or maybe the player config file.

Is someone feels the need to break the parameters of gameplay in order to win, they are not winning at all. I can figure out ways to do the same, but then, it only becomes a hacking challenge. I appreciate the true ingenuity of true hacking, but, I couldn't enjoy winning when I thought it might be because of an unfair advantage I had because of a system exploit. I repeat I can NOT enjoy winning when I thought it might be because of an unfair advantage I had because of a system exploit.

Last edited by AnamNantom; 2012-10-10 at 10:01 AM.
Old 2012-10-10, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

So essentially each empire gets a home continent, seen that in some game before can't remember the name of the game though...........

Though with only 3 continents i don't see how this will solve anything, it may even worsen the situation.

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.

Last edited by Mastachief; 2012-10-10 at 10:05 AM.
Old 2012-10-10, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

A good critic is the one who uses both the stick and carrot...

And about the fog.

Leave the fog as is? Nope.

Tone it down and make it a non-constant weather condition.

Here's the thing, it's not a constant thing. I've seen the sky clear up and fought rather sunny battles. I'm questioning if many of you have seen the clear spots.

We want weather effects and we want them to make a distinct impact on gameplay. Right?

When they make thunderstorms a reality, it will be a beautiful thing to see. What about the rare Hurricane or tornado?
Old 2012-10-10, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
So essentially each empire gets a home continent, seen that in some game before can't remember the name of the game though...........

Though with only 3 continents i don't see how this will solve anything, it may even worsen the situation.

NOTE: There will be MORE than 3 continents, not at launch, but they are all making a comeback. PS 1 had 10 continents. We will at least get that. I also know they want to make some continents empty of bases in order for us to be able to drop bases down onto the surface of Auraxis.
Old 2012-10-10, 10:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Figment
Lieutenant General

Well that's Smedley's ambition (the own placement thing), I'm not sure how viable it is. If we get clear areas, or sections where we can upgrade or place a variety of options maybe, but it'll be hard for us to place on random terrain.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion