News: Planetside 2 has 1.6 million players - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Comfort Food for the computerless gamer!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-12-12, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
VaderShake
First Lieutenant

Re: Planetside 2 has 1.6 million players

I will say given the little to no mainstream advertising 1.6 million is nothing to sneeze at. I would expect that number to jump a bit over the next 2-3 weeks with the holidays.......and also the Mayan Gods will return on the 21st so the Vanu will see a population bump....which would continue to discust me....
Old 2012-12-12, 03:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Beerbeer
Major

I hope so, the servers I play on seem pretty barren as of late.
Old 2012-12-12, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

"planetside 2 super bowl ad"

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-12-12, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SUBARU
Master Sergeant

What? 1.6 mill? So he's saying they have about 100.000 players per server.No way
Old 2012-12-12, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Gortha
First Sergeant

http://www.planetside-universe.com/leaderboard.php

Total Chars: 29822

Hmmm that looks like PS2 has ~30000 Players...

Where are the other millions ?

http://z0r.de/1573
Old 2012-12-12, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Hamma
PSU Admin

The players on our site are only the ones that are stored here and were looked up on PSU.

So, ours is just a cross section of players who have used our service.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-12-12, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Sunrock
Major

1.6 million players that have created a character on one of the server is a more correct way to say it. Not 1.6 million paying players, or active players (players that play for at least few ours a week).

As it is a F2P game Smed can count a player that logged in and created a char played for 5 min and then never returned..... for all eternity. So listing how many players a F2P game has is irrelevant. Only thing that matters is how populated your server is.
Old 2012-12-12, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Crator
Major General

^ Good point. One person can also have as many accounts as they like since it's F2P as well. So ya, that # is a lot less most likely.
Old 2012-12-12, 09:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Miffy
Sergeant

I think I'm probably right about how 3/4 of them people probably wont be coming back. I mean 400k sounds about right for an MMO made by SOE, they don't have a fan base to carry them like Blizzard and they don't have the polish or the optimization that keeps people.

Every EU server is low off peak, so are the US servers and during peak most only hit Medium, only one or two get to high. What are there like 12 servers? Low to medium must be like anywhere from 200 - 4000 if SOE's 2000 people per cont is correct. They probably only ever have around 25,000-30,000 MAX concurrent users, normally concurrent users = 10% of the player base.

Steam says Max today is 18,422 and it is dropping every day, it was around 30k at launch and has been in decline since. I'm going to guess Steam has a massive chunk of Planetside 2 players.

I'd say 1.6 Registered 400k active but declining.

I'd say I'm seeing the decline, I used to be able to get into big battles all the time but now unless it is between 6pm and 11pm then there is hardly any one around. If I go onto any EU server now there is like 5 people there :\ You can go catch bases yourself. I know it is in the early hours of the morning but you should always have enough people to play. They need to actively merge servers to the population rising and falling to keep the game playable. I mean I came to play in the middle of the day yesterday and there wasn't enough people :\

I don't think SOE will ever fix the population issues because they wont want to merge. They should have had like 12 conts and one visible server instead and then they can have control over opening and shutting conts.

Last edited by Miffy; 2012-12-12 at 09:21 PM.
Old 2012-12-12, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Miffy
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
^ Good point. One person can also have as many accounts as they like since it's F2P as well. So ya, that # is a lot less most likely.
Yeh I have 5 with Planetside 2 that I've played because of the crap chaarcter limit.

I have 10 SOE accounts that might be counted as it is F2P lol.
Old 2012-12-12, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

To those of you who are saying that the pops seem really low, there's a reason for that. This week is finals week for a lot of the US, at least, so a lot of people are busy (and have been busy recently) with that. Not to mention that it's a Wednesday night right now, even prime time isn't going to be near what it is on the weekends.

Edit: Forgot it was an update day today as well. That certainly doesn't help.
Old 2012-12-12, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
JawsOfLife
Sergeant

I do realize that a lot of gamers don't use Steam, for compatibility reasons or personal reasons. I guess an estimate of 50-60K concurrent players is reasonable and indicates a large player base. Although, keep in mind also that the 36-40K BO:2 concurrent players is the statistic for PC use, and does not include the massive console playerbase, but I would readily agree that this does make PS2 one of if not the most played FPS right now.
Old 2012-12-13, 06:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Qwan
Captain

Well I hope the numbers hang there for a while, I mean if they drop off its cool, maybe they will merge some servers and the real PS gamers can go head to head. Running around with these newbs was funny at first but Its time to get down to buisness. I want to go up against an outfit with some skills.
Old 2012-12-13, 07:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
TehCandyMan
Private

So where are all those people at??!! Because everytime I log I see like 20 people...
Old 2012-12-13, 07:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Planetside 2 supposedly had 500,000 players on over the last weekend. And considering the soft start and mostly word of mouth advertising this game is kicking ass. I think PS2 has lots of room to grow.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion