Balance: Sniper balance Ideas. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Reject Me!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2014-06-25, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
War Barney
Sergeant Major

Sniper balance Ideas.

Ok.. snipers have gone INSANE, on woodman at least 50% of my deaths are to snipers from 5 billion miles away head shotting me while sprinting!. Ok thats a slight exageration but seriously about 50% of my deaths are from snipers and I'm getting tired of the increased number of head shots while sprinting. Snipers are just WAY to powerful right now.

Why you may ask? well its simple really, first off the damage they deal is insane, 1 hit kills or over half your hp if they hit you anywhere else leaving you wide open to other snipers.

But the MAIN problem is planetside 2 itself, snipers are normally balanced as they shoot from behind their own lines meaning you can hide in cover but stealth and the open world nature of planetside 2 means they often completely encircle fights so you can literally NEVER stand still until in a building and hunting snipers is suicide, they'll 1 shot you as you run at them or stealth off then kill you from another position meaning the only counter is another sniper, and for my money if the only counter to something is itself its OP. Yes technically air and tanks can kill snipers but even they will struggle to kill them thanks to stealth, at best they'll usually just make them not take quit e as many shots.

How to balance this then?

1. An idea somebody else mentioned, a field that engineers can put down and can be added to sunderers which protects from snipers-, basically how it would work is that any shot fired into the field from a distance of say 100m+ is destroyed thus making it a safe spot from snipers BUT not safe from all firearms.

2. Reduce the damage of non head shots-, head shots I accept should be 1 hit kills as they aren't easy to do if you keep moving even slightly but its stupid how 1 shot will leave you pretty much dead to the point that all you can do is hide and hope theres not another sniper waiting to finish you with the second shot.

3. Make it so you can't use stealth with a sniper rifle- Part of the problem with snipers is stealth lets them setup anywhere they like even if its behind (or in the middle of) the enemy forces, theres constantly been times I've found infiltrators in bushes killing people as they go past thanks to perfect invisibility. Remove it and they would be forced to fight from there own side or be careful, not to mention hunting them would be easier as they wouldn't stay stealthed right up until they shoot and couldn't just stealth off the second they see somebody coming.

Perhaps not all these ideas would be needed at once but something needs to be done, I know people like being able to stay out of all danger while killing people so they can get a good k/d ratio and farm but its encouraging bad playing habits, as soon as the army of snipers comes out on 1 side the other side does the same and then they farm each other for hours.
Old 2014-06-26, 12:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bpark
Private

Re: Sniper balance Ideas.

As a light assault, i dont get sniped (waterson/emerald) all that much.
dunno, i fly around and use a shotty so usually im under some building for cqc

also, i do remember getting sniped a whole bunch when starting out, but something about my play style changed and now i rarely get sniped. my suggestion is try something new and dont give them a target to shoot at

Last edited by Bpark; 2014-06-26 at 12:23 AM.
Old 2014-06-26, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
War Barney
Sergeant Major

Re: Sniper balance Ideas.

I don't give them a target to shoot at, I literally never stop moving unless I'm hiding before cover with the enemy on the other side of the rock so moving more would kill me but even then I get head shot while sprinting and hit a TON in the body which means instant under half hp (sadly when that happens all you can do is keep going, if you take cover a sniper behind you will just finish you).

All I can think is that waterson has awful snipers or all the hacking snipers are on woodman, as a LA I'm constantly being sniped mid air, again a few head shots thrown in. There is nowhere safe from snipers on woodman they encircle every fight and shoot non stop.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault