"Crafting? No. No crafting" - TRay - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It gives you wings!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-17, 03:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

"Crafting? No. No crafting" - TRay

Strickly speaking, that may be the case, but I wouldn't sell Planetside 2 short on the crafting aspect to outright say that it doesn't have any at all.

The fundamentals of "crafting" break down the following:

1. Collect stuff to make something with.
2. Use stuff to make something.

Depending on the game, variations of quality may or may not be available during the crafting process or throughout the level ranges. But at the end of the day, every system boils down to the above two things.

Take a look at what Planetside 2 offers, we have resources and a boat load of customizations to purchase with those resources. So in terms of the fundamental level of crafting, Planetside 2 has,

1. Collect the correct resources.
2. Use the resources (or Station Cash) to purchase customizations in the shop.

All you really have to do to give Planetside 2 a "crafting system" that isn't much different than the simplistic ones in Everquest and World of Warcraft is to replace the word "purchase" with the word "craft".

Now if you wanted make it an actually interesting "crafting system", you could go a step further and give players the ability to,

1. Collect the correct resources.
2. Use the resources to purchase ("craft") rare customizations that wear out over time.
3. Trade these items with other players for resources.

Honestly, I don't see how this is any different than any other "crafting system" on a fundamental level. It's only different in that everyone has access to the customization shop and the ability to collect the resources, without having to grind a "profession" or pick a "crafting class".

Yes, this is a very simplistic crafting system, but I think it still qualifies as a crafting system.

Edit: As an after thought, Engineers "craft" things like turrets and anyone can "craft" custom vehicles and MAX suits at bases.

Last edited by Tatwi; 2012-06-17 at 03:47 PM.
Old 2012-06-17, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Re: "Crafting? No. No crafting" - TRay

Is there really a need for this, Buying over resources seems fine ?

In First its a FPS what i want to play, because its the Way this Games are, i dislike the Idea of runnin Arround and gather stuff.

Okay If it would be a kind of a Super Weapon and Many players Must spent stuff together it could be fun.

Well see
Old 2012-06-17, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Rago View Post
Is there really a need for this, Buying over resources seems fine ?

In First its a FPS what i want to play, because its the Way this Games are, i dislike the Idea of runnin Arround and gather stuff.

Okay If it would be a kind of a Super Weapon and Many players Must spent stuff together it could be fun.

Well see
I was "being clever" when I wrote this.

Planetside 2 has resource gathering that happens when you and your faction hold territory. These resources allow you to buy certs, customizations, grenades, as well as spawn vehicles.

Replace the word "buy" with the word "craft".

BOOM!

Planetside 2 has a "crafting system".

Edit: All caps dude... you need to L2R and calm the hell down.

Last edited by Tatwi; 2012-06-17 at 03:55 PM.
Old 2012-06-17, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Mordelicius
Major

It's a 100% PvP game. I'm glad there's no crafting. Crafting is PvE. Why dilute a simple system with a more complicated 'crafting' system?
Old 2012-06-17, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Mordelicius View Post
It's a 100% PvP game. I'm glad there's no crafting. Crafting is PvE. Why dilute a simple system with a more complicated 'crafting' system?
I disagree that crafting is just PVE. In a game with a sophisticated economy selling things to make a profit is every bit a game against other players as shooting each other.
EVE is a prime example.

I don't really want that in a shooter, but with a good system you could actually have an economy in producing war material for the folks shooting stuff.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-06-17, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
IgloGlass
Master Sergeant

WE DO NOT WANT ANOTHER GAME THAT TURNED TO SHIT LIKE BATTLEFIELD HEROES WHERE YOUR ITEMS WEAR OUT OVER TIME.
Old 2012-06-17, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Notser
Staff Sergeant

Soldiers do not craft in a military, for that reason I do not see a reason to flesh out a system that doesn't fit into a lore where everything is created with nanites. I'd rather have SOE create something that is new and fresh that might provide the same customization that players crave.
Old 2012-06-17, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Sirisian
Colonel

I think this mostly comes down to the connotation of the word "crafting" and it's proliferation in mostly RPG games. That said the Planetside 2 system is more an acquire system. You trade resources for a finished item. You don't really make it yourself.

You could have crafting as you stated in Planetside 2, but you just can't call it crafting. Take the RAGE game which has crafting of parts from materials.

There was old threads where people were talking about loot and such from downed vehicles and enemies. That is they were asking for pieces to blow off of aircraft and vehicles that could be picked up. Others argued that it would make people run towards destroyed vehicles and distract people from the core gameplay.

I think you're overthinking the word "craft".
Old 2012-06-17, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I think you're overthinking the word "craft".
Originally Posted by maradine View Post
By this logic, every game ever made where you collect currency and make purchases has a crafting system. I think you've confused crafting with an economy.
That was the point.

So if any one asks you can say, "Oh yeah, Planetside 2 has lots of crafting" and get them into the game.

Last edited by Tatwi; 2012-06-17 at 04:01 PM.
Old 2012-06-17, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Why would I try to sell someone on a game with a feature it doesn't have?
Old 2012-06-17, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
Why would I try to sell someone on a game with a feature it doesn't have?
*sigh*

Too serious for me man. Too serious.
Old 2012-06-17, 04:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
*sigh*

Too serious for me man. Too serious.
Hey, man, OP looked serious. If was just for lols, then let me give you better, more contextually appropriate feedback.

BULLSHIT PS2 CRAFTING IS OP NERF NANITES
Old 2012-06-17, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
Yes, this is a very simplistic crafting system, but I think it still qualifies as a crafting system.
By this logic, every game ever made where you collect currency and make purchases has a crafting system. I think you've confused crafting with an economy.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-17, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

The RTS elements of PlanetSide 2 isn't crafting. PS2 doesn't have crafting in the common sense of the term in gaming. Saying it does would just confuse and mislead people.

It has RTS economic elements, not crafting.
Old 2012-06-17, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bags
Lieutenant General

I say no to crafting.