PS1 : Bolt Sniper Rifle - Can you get rid of the "deadzone" while zoomed in? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It glows in the dark.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2012-08-12, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Mansen
Private

PS1 : Bolt Sniper Rifle - Can you get rid of the "deadzone" while zoomed in?

I finally caved and bought PS1 today - just to get a feel of how the first game was/is before I get into the PS2 beta.

I went sniper with my first few certs - a major mistake I was soon to realise

The game has some odd "deadzone" behavior while I'm zoomed in using my Bolt Action rifle. Basically unless I yank my mouse around and make big, fast movements it refuses to move at all. Makes it incredibly hard to get any shots off.

Is it possible to disable this "odd" behavior somehow? I noticed that the "smooth mouse" option had the same result, but for generic mouse movement.
Old 2012-08-13, 06:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Re: PS1 : Bolt Sniper Rifle - Can you get rid of the "deadzone" while zoomed in?

Sounds like your deadzone settings are off. Unless you were referring to the retarded way the reticle moves zoomed in.

Old 2012-08-13, 06:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Mansen
Private

Re: PS1 : Bolt Sniper Rifle - Can you get rid of the "deadzone" while zoomed in?

*shrug* All I know is that my mouse has no issues "moving" while zoomed in with a regular rifle - but as soon as I zoom in at 4-8x? with the Bolt I have to "yank" my mouse around to get it to move. No "slow and subtle movement" that let me focus on a head.
Old 2012-08-13, 10:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Mansen View Post
*shrug* All I know is that my mouse has no issues "moving" while zoomed in with a regular rifle - but as soon as I zoom in at 4-8x? with the Bolt I have to "yank" my mouse around to get it to move. No "slow and subtle movement" that let me focus on a head.
Try zooming out moving then zooming in again, alternatively try moving your character slightly left and right.

BTW, no head shots in ps1

ps: I haven't sniped much but I don't really recognise the thing you're on about.
Old 2012-08-13, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Mansen
Private

Yeah I know the game doesn't have headshots - I was trying to make a point, hehe

Zooming out, moving my aim and then zooming back in is the only workaround I've found (as you mentioned), but it's still quite wobbly.

Anyway - I recerted to something less frustrated and it's going quite well.
Old 2012-08-13, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
duomaxwl
Captain

Yeah, I've always had issues with this in my game. The only workaround I've found that worked is just yanking your in-game sensitivity all the way up and lowing it on your mouse.
Old 2012-08-13, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Hosp
First Sergeant

I'm not totally sure what you're referring to, but i think it's this...

While zoomed, the mouse doesn't want to make a smooth micro-correction in movement. therefore, at extreme ranges, correcting a tiny bit left or right will end up putting your reticle past your intended target.

If this is what you're talking about, strafing to correct, if you have time and are close to start with, it's a quick easy correction. Alternatively, as you mentioned, zooming out and back in is another way.

The issue is that while zoomed, the game starts counting pixels as if they were right in front of you. (not 100% accurate, this is my interpretation). So a pixel in front of you with a target in front of you, a little movement doesn't throw off aim of the target because the target is 100+pixels big. But a pixel in front of you with a target off a mile, that's alot of movement because the target is only a couple pixels large.

No way to get rid of it. It's been there as long as I've been there. Probably longer.
Old 2012-08-13, 03:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Mansen
Private

Thanks for the explanations and tips on strafing. I'll see if I'll make a return to sniping at some point - Enjoying the medical "loadout" far too much right now to switch ^^
Old 2012-08-13, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

My experience, strafing is the best way to correct your aim. In a truly screwed up way, strafing doesn't upset your reticule like moving the mouse does.

I enjoyed sniping quite a bit. In PS1, two to four snipers can make for an extremely nasty gen-hold, as they can rapidly insta-kill anyone coming in Snipers popping at people on a wall (or vice versa) are effective, too.

I'll give you a hint on how to be most effective. Don't engage from the "frontline" where you and the enemy are facing each other. Go wide, circle around behind the enemy line and approach them from a flanking position. When you shoot at them, they'll tend to duck behind cover, assuming the shot is coming from their front (where all the bad guys are), when in reality you are off to one side. 90% of the time, they'll never even realise what happened, especially if you move around a bit.

note: While doing this, reinforcements streaming to the line are your worst enemy. Make sure you are not on a direct line between the nearest enemy spawn point and the "battleground", or you'll have a short life expectancy.
Old 2012-08-13, 11:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Thanks for the explanations and tips on strafing. I'll see if I'll make a return to sniping at some point - Enjoying the medical "loadout" far too much right now to switch ^^
I wrote a guide on sniping YEARS ago for PS. If you get back into it, check it out: http://www.geocities.ws/electr0freak/. And yes, I recommend strafing to line up shots in the guide.
Some good general use info in there too.

(Yeah, it's a geocities. I told you I made it a long time ago! )

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2012-08-13 at 11:04 PM.
Old 2012-08-14, 04:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Mansen
Private

Whoa now - blast from the past indeed
Old 2012-08-16, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Redshift
Major

Up the in game sensitivity to max
Old 2012-08-16, 04:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Mansen
Private

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Up the in game sensitivity to max
Hahaha... no. I prefer being able to use my mouse
Old 2012-08-16, 09:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Redshift
Major

Hahaha... no. I prefer being able to use my mouse
Then you can't use high zoomed weapons in PS1.

The only way to use them is to up the sensitivity to max and lower it from outside if needed.
Old 2012-08-16, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Mansen
Private

Which...I'm not? I thought we came to that conclusion further up on the thread?

I refuse to have to change my DPI on my mouse just to be able to snipe. It's such a nightmare changing it back and forth every few seconds.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion