Ideas for the "Rich get richer" problem - Page 12 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I'll bet you're naked right now...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-25, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #166
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Re: Ideas for the "Rich get richer" problem

Another idea is to provide different amounts of resources for capture vs hold based upon distance from the friendly foothold. As an empire captures control points closer and closer to an opposing empires foothold the resource gain from holding that control point, or the "dividend", becomes smaller and smaller, but the initial capture resource bonus is higher. Encourage an empire to capture as far out as they can go, but provide incentive for the zerg to seek another front line wanting a better capture bonus. This would give the suppressed empire(s) (probably TR and/or NC) time to retake some control points and recover personal resources.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-25, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #167
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
How about an additional modifier to the base capture time? The more territory an empire owns, the faster it can be captured by an enemy empire. Also, make back hacks harder to re-secure if you own over a certain % of a continent.
This is similar to thoughts earlier in the thread (it's long so I don't blame you for skipping it), here's the direct link:
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...&postcount=130

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
Another idea is to provide different amounts of resources for capture vs hold based upon distance from the friendly foothold. As an empire captures control points closer and closer to an opposing empires foothold the resource gain from holding that control point, or the "dividend", becomes smaller and smaller, but the initial capture resource bonus is higher. Encourage an empire to capture as far out as they can go, but provide incentive for the zerg to seek another front line wanting a better capture bonus. This would give the suppressed empire(s) (probably TR and/or NC) time to retake some control points and recover personal resources.
The only issue I have with this is that if the dominant empire has another empire bottled up into their foothold and we want to encourage back-hacking by making it easier to take their territory then the territory the poor empire is taking is likely close to one of the other two footholds. If resources diminished by proximity to a foothold then this would reduce the effectiveness of the back-hack solution.

The capture bonus idea is also right in line with the thoughts from the post I linked above - very similar concept. I think it's on the right track.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-25, 08:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #168
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Higby just wrote this about resource distribution:
Resource gain is split between things like actively fighting (i.e. more active fights with more going on will always get you more resources) as well as dividends from the territory your empire owns. So, this sort of takes care of itself! In a big fight, you'll get large rewards - win or lose, once the dust settles the empire that wins will continue to get base resources for that region, but the folks that participated in the battle will be getting a lot more up front.
That changes things, at least on the resource side. There's still a disadvantage but it might be enough, have to see how significant it is. I still think the adjacency system must account for the large territory ownership so the poor empire can gain some ground.
Old 2012-04-25, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #169
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
If resources diminished by proximity to a foothold then this would reduce the effectiveness of the back-hack solution.
If the "ramp down" on the resource dividend does not start until around 40% from an enemy empire foothold, back hacking with full dividend should still be possible. If the empire capture bonus reaches max at 20% from the enemy foothold, the boost for a back hack may well be worth it even if it does get recaptured quickly.

If you want to really be mean:
Cut off all resource gain on that continent for the the empire who got back hacked until it's fixed, but only if they own more than (some %) of the control points. This would force a large amount of the zerg off the front line or they go broke and get forced off the front line.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion