What was running PS2 today? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Less profitable than a SOE MMO
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-06, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Re: What was running PS2 today?

Originally Posted by ThermalReaper View Post
Wait, I'm sorry wasn't it said somewhere that it was going to be tailored for older machines? I'm upgrading mine soon(Buying a branded one, probably HP) and I'd like to know if I'll have another Crysis 2 to deal with. I'm not talking a terrible rig running high, but I doubt one can run it low with all the people around.
It looks awesome, but it's still F2P... they want lots of mid/low-grade gaming machine users tossing money at their cash shop.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
GTGD
First Sergeant

Even simpler:

Video card = resolution and crispness of the graphics, shiny

Processor = general performance, draw distance and cool effects

Hard drive and RAM = load times and stuttering

Planetside is really CPU-intensive, as there are so many players and things are always happening. Video cards help to make it look better, but it won't help your crappy frames per second if your CPU can't process everything fast enough.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Bags
Lieutenant General

Hopefully my i5-2500k will be enough then.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
duomaxwl
Captain

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Hopefully my Phenom II x4 955 will be enough.
I'm really hoping. I wanna go back in time and punch myself for not waiting an extra 3 months to save up and go with an i5 system.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Razicator
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by GTGD View Post
Even simpler:

Video card = resolution and crispness of the graphics, shiny

Processor = general performance, draw distance and cool effects

Hard drive and RAM = load times and stuttering

Planetside is really CPU-intensive, as there are so many players and things are always happening. Video cards help to make it look better, but it won't help your crappy frames per second if your CPU can't process everything fast enough.
Hmm, here's hoping by the end of beta someone out there tests Planetside 2 with a bunch of GPUs and CPUs, kind of like how BF3 and CoD are now used for setting benchmarks for new gear.

Think i5s will cut it for maxing out draw distances and such in this game? Assuming the GPU is fine that is.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Bags
Lieutenant General

I was confident but the more I hear the more I think I'm gonna be stuck on low.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Toppopia
Major

I was confident but the more I hear the more I think I'm gonna be stuck on low.
Same, it makes me sad. I might even not be able to play it at all, then i will have to try and use my brothers computer, which would probably never happen
Old 2012-06-06, 12:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
Same, it makes me sad. I might even not be able to play it at all, then i will have to try and use my brothers computer, which would probably never happen
Yeah and I just upgraded last xmas too, $400 gpu $220 cpu but the way everyone is talking the game won't run on med unless you have like tri sli 680s.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Xaine
Major

I'm sorry, could someone please explain to me what the hell all this means for my system. I'm good at a few things, but this really is not one of them. I'm a complete tard when it comes to this.

Could someone tell me, at their best guess how this will fare with PS2:

AMD Phenom II 955 3.2GHz Quad core.
4 gigs of ram.
ATI Radeon 5850 with 2GB onboard.

Running at 1920 x 1080.

If someone could give me a very short reply, and tell me roughly where i stand i'd be very grateful.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Bags
Lieutenant General

With how people are talking not good at all.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
duomaxwl
Captain

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
I'm sorry, could someone please explain to me what the hell all this means for my system. I'm good at a few things, but this really is not one of them. I'm a complete tard when it comes to this.

Could someone tell me, at their best guess how this will fare with PS2:

AMD Phenom II 955 3.2GHz Quad core.
4 gigs of ram.
ATI Radeon 5850 with 2GB onboard.

Running at 1920 x 1080.

If someone could give me a very short reply, and tell me roughly where i stand i'd be very grateful.
The short of it is, wait for near the end of beta.
We really don't know where we are with optimization.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by duomaxwl View Post
The short of it is, wait for near the end of beta.
We really don't know where we are with optimization.
Thank you.

Thats sort of what i thought, i know they're not done with optimizing for the lower end systems, as that was mentioned somewhere recently.
Old 2012-06-06, 12:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Xaine
Major

With how people are talking not good at all.
Mmmm, well judging from your sig. Your system completely destroys mine. So if you're worried i should be terrified. :P
Old 2012-06-06, 12:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Roidster
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by CyclesMcHurtz View Post
It's been discussed in other threads here in various detail but the boiled down version is:

In general for games, the graphics card defines what resolution (GPU speed) and texture detail (GPU DRAM) you can use, while the CPU defines the level of game detail (effects detail, character LOD, etc) and sometimes load-stalls or "hitches" you're willing to put up with (hard drive speed and main DRAM).

A. 1440x900 = 1,296,000 pixels
B. 1680x1050 = 1,764,000 pixels (1.36 x A)
C. 1920x1200 = 2,304,000 pixels (1.78 x A)
D. 2560x1600 = 4,096,000 pixels (3.16 x A, 1.78 x C)

SLI basically gives you the next resolution up for "free"
my desktop resolution is 5760x1080,i hope you guys will support that,by giving us the option to render 3 screens separately,and adding a FOV calculator ,screen width with bezels,screen width without bezels,angle of side monitors in degrees ,and viewing distance,so the side screens don`t look stretched,like in BF3 and panetside,talk to the Dev`s at iRacing,they have this stuff figured out

i5 2500K is the gamers choice,well maybe was,now that pricing is dropping since the ivy bridge came out
Old 2012-06-06, 12:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
GTGD
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Razicator View Post
Hmm, here's hoping by the end of beta someone out there tests Planetside 2 with a bunch of GPUs and CPUs, kind of like how BF3 and CoD are now used for setting benchmarks for new gear.

Think i5s will cut it for maxing out draw distances and such in this game? Assuming the GPU is fine that is.
I think so. Most people who want to play this aren't going to be building new computers for the game, so I don't see why they would require you to have ridiculous rigs.

I know Planetside got out of hand, but that was a lesson SOE has probably learned the hard way. It also really didn't help that Core Combat was the nail in the coffin for performance, I don't think they'll make the same mistake.

If an i5 isn't enough to run it at an acceptable rate in large battles, they're doing something wrong. Here's the thing about the i5 series too: they are incredible when overclocked. Not everyone is comfortable with the idea, but let me assure you that you would have to really try to screw it up. My i5-750 is clocked at 2.67GHz and I've got it running 24/7 stable and pretty cool @ 3.6GHz and if I wanted I could push it near 4.

Cyclez, if possible would you be able to clarify what kind of threading PS2 will be using? I'm going to assume two cores, but will there be any advantage for quads?

The rig I'm running is probably a decent gauge of an "average" to "good" PC will be capable of, since I bought it with good parts 2 years ago. Since they said up to 5 years being able to run it, let's say it's good for performance on medium settings or a little better:

i5-750 @ 3.6GHz
Nvidia 460 GTX
4GB DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz
7200 RPM hard drive

We'll see for sure when it comes time for beta, and then there will most likely be much more optimization occurring once it gets closer to launch. We have plenty of time to wait, and prices on components will be falling so what is expensive now might be reasonable by release date.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion