Performance fps , will the devs address this once and for all for launch ? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Loves furry chipmokes
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-10-19, 07:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
mbarrett
Banned

Performance fps , will the devs address this once and for all for launch ?

considering i have a half decent computer which as follows , amd bulldozer fx 4100 / gtx 570 / 8 gb ram / w7 , when i play my frames per second are that low it makes me wonder if this is going to be addressed before release date , i know a lot of us are getting well below 30 fps in some fights but i thought bf3 was demanding , planetside 2 literally takes the piss with how much this game demands , to be honest i can't see this changing before launch , i'm also going to do a upgrade for around mid november , i wan't to get a intel i5 cpu and mb bundle from overclockers along with a new graphics card , i'm thinking of a gtx 670 or a gtx 680 . hopefully this will give me much better fps once my upgrade is complete .
Old 2012-10-19, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
WiteBeam
Second Lieutenant

Re: Performance fps , will the devs address this once and for all for launch ?

Goku on the Tech Forums is always a great help. Obviously you will see a huge improvement with a new MB, CPU and Graphocs card.
Old 2012-10-19, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
blbeta
Corporal

My concern about this is having lower populations because people can't play it.

My rig also isn't top of the line but I have to play on low everything to get 30+ fps.

I-5 2400
8GB RAM
GTX 260 896MB (May get something new soon)
SSD

I can play just about everything I throw at it just below max, but not PS2.

Even then I don't care much about that. What I do care about is how animations seem to suck on my machine and people jump all around on my screen. I use to see some of the jumping around in PS1, but it was expected in such an old game. I didn't expect it to be worse in PS2.
Old 2012-10-20, 05:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
subsurface
Private

This^

That is a valid concern. Having to high requirements will greatly limit the community as a whole, especially during a time of economic crisis.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 2012-10-20, 09:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by subsurface View Post
This^ That is a valid concern. Having to high requirements will greatly limit the community as a whole, especially during a time of economic crisis.
While I understand that pc games progress, this is really the single most important issue for the game. If it requires making a second, low end, client that does not use differed lighting, shadows, and projectile physics, that's a whole lot better than SOE having yet another niche game with a player base that can't even come close to Aion's success (3.5 million players), let alone one of the console shooters.

I want PS2 to be amazingly popular, for SOE and for the players. However, it's not going to be if it runs like hell on the currently installed PC hardware base.
Old 2012-10-20, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
james
Sergeant Major

Its a problem even with a 7970 and a i5 2500k it still drops to 30 fps at points
Old 2012-10-20, 10:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by james View Post
Its a problem even with a 7970 and a i5 2500k it still drops to 30 fps at points
Yup, I have an i5 2500k @4,2Ghz and a 7950 and I still get 20-30 Fps during mediocre action (got the newest drivers). That's just horrible, I don't want to know how it runs on slower systems.

Last edited by Sturmhardt; 2012-10-20 at 10:04 AM.
Old 2012-10-20, 10:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by Sturmhardt View Post
Yup, I have an i5 2500k @4,2Ghz and a 7950 and I still get 20-30 Fps during mediocre action (got the newest drivers). That's just horrible, I don't want to know how it runs on slower systems.
While I haven't played as much recently my system is identical to yours I NEVER had that bad of performance when overclocked. Has it got even worse?

mbarret, you are mostly CPU bound. You either need to move up to a Intel processor like the 3570K or possibly AMD's new Piledriver CPU. That CPU is coming out in the next week or so, and I would just for the 8350. It has twice as many cores, higher clock, and more IPC verse your 4100. If you can just do a drop in upgrade as long as your mobo supports it. What do you have for a motherboard?

Last edited by Goku; 2012-10-20 at 10:18 AM.
Old 2012-10-20, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Aaron
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Mine is a Phenom II x4 940 and a 6770. I run about 5 FPS lower than you. So, yeah, I can't play competitively in large fights.
Old 2012-10-20, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
james
Sergeant Major

yea its a problem, but then i have seen games were only higher end rigs have issues and the mid end run it alright.

If it going to take two 7970's to run this game on ultra or high, thats a problem

Last edited by james; 2012-10-20 at 10:31 AM.
Old 2012-10-20, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
While I haven't played as much recently my system is identical to yours I NEVER had that bad of performance when overclocked. Has it got even worse?

mbarret, you are mostly CPU bound. You either need to move up to a Intel processor like the 3570K or possibly AMD's new Piledriver CPU. That CPU is coming out in the next week or so, and I would just for the 8350. It has twice as many cores, higher clock, and more IPC verse your 4100. If you can just do a drop in upgrade as long as your mobo supports it. What do you have for a motherboard?
The problem with the AMD 8350 is its price to performance ratio. Xbitlabs showed that Piledriver isn't much of an improvement on the CPU side of things over the previous generation, so the 8350 is going to perform about as well as the current 8 core AMD CPUs. At $180 you absolutely will get better performance for the dollar by purchasing the lowest end i5, the 3330, in everything other than video encoding and software compiling. Sadly, even the Core i3 beats the 8 core AMD CPUs in most games. I wish this wasn't the case, but objectively it is the case. Intel won the general computing x86 CPU war.

Last edited by Tatwi; 2012-10-20 at 10:40 AM.
Old 2012-10-20, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Current pricing should be sub $200 for the 8350. I would only recommend it as a drop in upgrade for someone with a AM3+ board. Otherwise Intel makes way more sense. Still waiting to see official reviews to see what the performance looks like though. I'm not expecting any miracles of course.
Old 2012-10-20, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I'm not sure, I haven't played in a while, but I guess they ramped up the player count a lot while only optimizing the game a little bit.... which results in a worse experience. At least I never noticed any optimization.... but I don't have any numbers. As long as the FPS stay above 40 I'm usually happy with it, but below 30 is not that enjoyable. If you play again let us know how it went, I'm interested if there is a difference or not.
Old 2012-10-20, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
PClownPosse
Private

My computer isn't spectacular, but it's not exactly chopped liver, either and the game, at least at default settings, runs sluggishly. I had to turn a lot of things down and off and my performance improved, but I'm still getting poor FPS. Can't tell if these hitches are graphical or net related, or both. Texture loading takes forever for me as well, but all in all, it's playable.

While it improved over the short time I've played, I'm still getting some "mouse lag," but it's not bad where I feel it affects my ability to aim.

Edit: okay, maybe my computer sucks...

Last edited by PClownPosse; 2012-10-20 at 04:46 PM.
Old 2012-10-21, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
DeadNoob
Private

I actually only get less than 30 FPS with my System wich actually isnt that bad

Phenom X6 1100T BE
Zotac GTX 470 AMP!
6GB RAM

I hope the performance will increase as i actually dont think there are so many People with a Hightech Nasa computer out there ^^
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion