Sunderer lifespan/role - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Basilisk > Vanguard
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-01-13, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Sunderer lifespan/role

I agree with Figment on his posts.

EMP, more armor and the extended DL range were OP utilities that were slapped on the Sundy to make it more attractive. And it became used just for those things.

Same with the deli variants. The only reasons I had people in my Aurora was for the OP AI guns that could also serve as 2-shot long distance mortar. Believe it or not, in single shot mode, it was the most accurate weapon in the game once the arc was set on target. Pinpoint accuracy for long distance.

Figment has a point that I'd like to echo when he explains that customization may solve issues by adapting our vehicle utilities to what we need. With a point system and favorites, it could work quite well.

Here is an example of how I see it:

eg.: Sunderer basic skills and default set-up, you have 10 points. By skilling up transport, you get more options to choose. Once skill at the top could be like +2 points to spend for the Sundy set-up.

Basic set-up: 100% speed, 100% armor, 6 softy spots, 2 MAX spots = 10 points total.
Take out a MAX spot, it frees up 2 points and +5% speed, +5% armor.
AMS functionality could cost like 4 points, -20% armor, -20% speed.
EMP functionality could cost like 4 points, -20% armor, -20% speed, 8 minutes recharge. (spend another 4 points to lower recharge at 4 minutes)

Of course, this is just an example and it may likely not work like that in PS2 since it would require some kind of visual changes on the vehicle as you change its set-up.

For the art dept., it's much easier to just change the weapons model and keep the vehicle model looking the same.

Again, I agree with Figment that, diversity wise, we may have a bland game at launch when it comes to vehicle models.
Old 2012-01-14, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I hope they do make the sunderer have at least an optional variant that allows it to act as a spawn point.

If not, hopefully we at least get something like deployable spawn points that engi's can build (only out doors).
Old 2012-01-14, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Well, if spawning is a command tool/ability, and the sunder is involved, perhaps a commander is authorized (via skilltree) to enable "codes" for the recieving pad on the roof of the sunder (ala WH 40K DoW Space marine drop pods), so we spawn from a pod to the sunder via a big ass bang...

I dunno... I think I might like that... LOL

Last edited by Grognard; 2012-01-14 at 02:48 PM.
Old 2012-01-14, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
Well, if spawning is a command tool/ability, and the sunder is involved, perhaps a commander is authorized (via skilltree) to enable "codes" for the recieving pad on the roof of the sunder (ala WH 40 Space marine drop pods), so we spawn from a pod to the sunder via a big ass bang...

I dunno... I think I might like that... LOL
Squad spawning via the command tree is a limited use ability that will not be a primary means of respawning.

It involves your character being dropped in from orbit in a pod, so it won't work indoors. Presumably it will have a long cool down as well.

I don't know if you played the first game, but if not, that game had a similar function called the HART shuttle. You would get into it from a building in your empires safe zone (it launched once every 15 minutes), and then you could drop in all over the world.
Old 2012-01-14, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Grognard
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Ah ok, I was under the impression that the commander toolset for respawning would be more robust, so a cool sunder-based respawn idea seemed applicable here.

Edit: I played PS1 a little.

Last edited by Grognard; 2012-01-14 at 03:00 PM.
Old 2012-01-14, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Figment
Lieutenant General

Every 3-4 minutes, not 15.
Old 2012-01-14, 11:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

What if a ground based AMS isn't needed? Now hear me out.

Instead of capping bases, which in PS1 can be spread out across the map, we're going to be fighting over the whole continent. The continent is divided up by hexes and it's said that a base takes up around 7 hexes. So it sounds like the hexes themselves won't be all that big.

So what if each hex has a spawn point? If they're in close proximity it doesn't seem unreasonable to think that we'd be able to spawn inside our own hexes.
Old 2012-01-15, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by PoisonTaco View Post
What if a ground based AMS isn't needed? Now hear me out.

Instead of capping bases, which in PS1 can be spread out across the map, we're going to be fighting over the whole continent. The continent is divided up by hexes and it's said that a base takes up around 7 hexes. So it sounds like the hexes themselves won't be all that big.

So what if each hex has a spawn point? If they're in close proximity it doesn't seem unreasonable to think that we'd be able to spawn inside our own hexes.
I don't know if I like that idea though. I hate to think that I'm running through the the forest and a group of guys just re spawn right behind or w/e and I end up getting a shotgun to the face. I want something to kill to prevent that.

Sure they could have certain areas as spawn locations but they would just get camped as soon as they where figured out. Meh, give us a vehicle to take out. I want a way to limit if not stop the re spawn.

You shouldn't just be spawning everywhere out in the middle of the field. It just doesn't make sense to me game wise.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-01-15 at 09:29 AM.
Old 2012-01-15, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Graywolves
General

I just want my raider and juggernaut
Old 2012-01-15, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Every 3-4 minutes, not 15.
Did they change it? I thought it was longer. I almost never used the bloody thing anyways.
Old 2012-01-15, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
super pretendo
First Sergeant

A grounded AMS seems like it's probably a good idea for reasons mentioned. Maybe you could customize sunderer to fit this role?
Old 2012-01-15, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Did they change it? I thought it was longer. I almost never used the bloody thing anyways.
I think I remember them altering it once or twice.
Old 2012-01-15, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Yetiee
Private

I think they should make the sunderer amphibious. It looks kinda like those duck boat tours in seattle. Make it go like 1/2 speed in water or 1/2 capacity or somthing to make it amphibious.
Old 2012-01-15, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Johari
Staff Sergeant

From what I remember hearing the Sunderer is supposed to be more of a proper transport this time. Not only have we seen the pictures of the two (most likey customizable) turrets on the top I believe I heard Higby saying that passengers can fire out of the vehicle, or atleast that's what he wants.

Pretty sure this was said in one of the AGN Community Nights, probably the Novemember one. Give me a few to go through and see if I can find it.

Edit: Got it! Bandbus talk starts at 1:18:50 and Higby confirms at 1:19:10 that the occupants will be able to shoot out of gunports.

http://www.twitch.tv/agntv/b/300452152

Last edited by Johari; 2012-01-15 at 05:13 PM.
Old 2012-01-15, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Yetiee View Post
I think they should make the sunderer amphibious. It looks kinda like those duck boat tours in seattle. Make it go like 1/2 speed in water or 1/2 capacity or somthing to make it amphibious.
DUKW.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion