TTK: Like it faster, or Slower? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please keep hands and feet inside at all times
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Faster, Slower, Or Just Right TTK for PS2?
Faster TTK. 15 14.71%
It's just right the way it is. 43 42.16%
Slower TTK. 44 43.14%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-07, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: TTK: Like it faster, or Slower?

Much faster and you may as well just create a game where you have to click faster after respawn than your enemy to get to your next respawn.

Downtime and TTK length have appeal. Combat that goes so fast you can't even observe or study an enemy's behaviour to qualify what your next move should be, is just mindless and does not allow yourself to built up a relation with an enemy.

They're just fodder to you and you're just fodder to them. I've never felt like I got to know any CoD players I played against online. The same goes for World of Tanks opponents.

Completely untrue for PlanetSide, where each enemy player had their own quirks and preferences. You got to learn them and their playstyle and you got to learn and device ways to counter them that did not always dumb down to JUMPJET FASTER AIM WIN!!! It involved planning, observation, timing. Not just spamming bullets and throwing more bodies at the enemy than they could handle, which incidentally seems to be what PS2 is all about.

Zergfest 2. Now with more zerg.
Old 2012-03-07, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Eighm
Sergeant

While I generally prefer fast TTKs, I don't really have enough info to go on from the GDC video. If spawn times will be as short as they were in the video than the TTK is fine. If they're going to be more like PS1 then I think the TTK should be increased simply because people will be doing more waiting to spawn than playing the game.
Old 2012-03-07, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

TTK in the vid looked almost perfect
Old 2012-03-07, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

I think it was just right. The faster TTK compared to Planetside 1 is offset by the base redesigns to allow for more cover. A more "run and gun to cover" feel is more fitting to the war shooter that Planetside 2 aims to be.
Old 2012-03-07, 10:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Saintlycow View Post
TTK in the vid looked almost perfect

Almost, but it could be slower, and still be quite a Visceral experience.
Old 2012-03-07, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

TTK seemed a bit to fast in my opinion. For fights of this dimension, it doesn't seem appropiate. It might have looked ok in the video for some people, but that's only because of the inaccuracy of the gun, or because of higby's playing (tap the fire button higby! ).
Old 2012-03-07, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Canaris
Contributor
General

the TTK seemed good from the gameplay footage but truthfully only beta will tell, One thing I do know I certainly wouldn't want it any faster than it is.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-03-07, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

The weapon accuracy is what really speeds up ttk in PS2, not lower armor or higher bullet damage. People just dont get it. If you put these more accurate weapons into PS1, the ttk time would be cut in half.

PS1 had a CoF that would bloom like crazy when you got hit or under sustained fire. The initial blooms were great and worked well, but the exaggeration when hit or when under prolonged fire was excessive and people often didnt notice it got so bad and wondered why people took so long to die when it was just that the bullets were goin all over the place. A JH will kill you in two hits even in rexo up close, go to VR training and you'll see that even a cycler or other MA weap will kill someone very fast when you land all your shots, just as fast as PS2. But in real combat your bloom goes nuts and you miss way too much.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-03-07, 10:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
TekDragon
Contributor

All you have to do is compare a game of Tribes Ascend, and then a game of CoD, and you'll understand why a longer TTK is so great and leads to a much higher skilled level of gameplay and teamwork.

People who haven't played those 2 games - you just won't understand.
Old 2012-03-07, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Much faster and you may as well just create a game where you have to click faster after respawn than your enemy to get to your next respawn.

Downtime and TTK length have appeal. Combat that goes so fast you can't even observe or study an enemy's behaviour to qualify what your next move should be, is just mindless and does not allow yourself to built up a relation with an enemy.

They're just fodder to you and you're just fodder to them. I've never felt like I got to know any CoD players I played against online. The same goes for World of Tanks opponents.

Completely untrue for PlanetSide, where each enemy player had their own quirks and preferences. You got to learn them and their playstyle and you got to learn and device ways to counter them that did not always dumb down to JUMPJET FASTER AIM WIN!!! It involved planning, observation, timing. Not just spamming bullets and throwing more bodies at the enemy than they could handle, which incidentally seems to be what PS2 is all about.

Zergfest 2. Now with more zerg.
WOW You describe combat as if it should be about the speed of turtles courting. Even in Planetside1, you'd be outflanked and overrun in said "observation and planning".

Honestly, this really blew me away. I had a harsher response, but decided to take a higher (though not much) road.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-03-07, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
TekDragon
Contributor

Originally Posted by EVILPIG View Post
WOW You describe combat as if it should be about the speed of turtles courting. Even in Planetside1, you'd be outflanked and overrun in said "observation and planning".

Honestly, this really blew me away. I had a harsher response, but decided to take a higher (though not much) road.
The problem isn't him. The problem is that some of us process information at a much faster pace than others.

He and I (and everyone else except you, apparently) can recognize and process combat techniques very quickly in a battle. Some players prefer to stand and fight, some like to strafe in one direction, others go back and forth, others immediately retreat to cover, others charge forward.

For people like him and I, we can process that information within a quarter to a half second and adjust our firing strategy to match.

I'm sorry that your brain hasn't developed to that level. I imagine you're one of those players that just stands in place and sprays.

Last edited by TekDragon; 2012-03-07 at 11:14 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 11:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by TekDragon View Post
The problem isn't him. The problem is that some of us process information at a much faster pace than others.

He and I, and many others, for example, can recognize and process combat techniques very quickly in a battle. Some players prefer to stand and fight, some like to strafe in one direction, others go back and forth, others immediately retreat to cover, others charge forward.

For people like him and I, we can process that information within a quarter to a half second and adjust our firing strategy to match.

I'm sorry that your brain hasn't developed to that level. I imagine you're one of those players that just stands in place and sprays.
I guess your just one of the internet master race ain't ya?

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-03-07 at 11:08 AM.
Old 2012-03-07, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I don't think anyone is arguing to go back to PS1 TTK.

I think what people are requesting is a bit slower that what was shown.
Old 2012-03-07, 11:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
TekDragon
Contributor

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
I guess your just one of the internet master race ain't ya?
I was being sarcastic, since the troglodyte I trolled was being pretty uppity without putting even the barest hint of effort into a rational argument.
Old 2012-03-07, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
IronMole
Sergeant Major

The TTK looks fine from the videos. I for one welcome the faster TTK.

Although, a lot of people seem to forget - if it wasn't for the crappy net code and warping on PS then the TTK would have been quick also...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion