Regarding the 4th Empire - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Sometimes the best way out is in
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-02, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
The Kush
Captain

Re: Regarding the 4th Empire

I am standing by the PS2 devs on this one. One character per server. You want to play a different faction go to a different server, as I already said before. This is not that hard of a concept to understand why they would want to do this.
Old 2012-05-02, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Why is this even a debate? Its such a ridiculous restriction.

New rules:

2. You cannot switch your character to an empire with greater than ~36% population.
3. Empires with less than 30% populations are given some sort of benefit. Improved resource collection or something, maybe better XP.

Fixed. You should absolutely not be able to switch whenever the hell you want, that's just the stupidest thing I've heard. There needs to be a timer, and the one in PS1 worked very well.

Helps to prevent cheating so much if there's a timer...
Old 2012-05-02, 09:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Sirisian
Colonel

I tweeted Higby with my response. I've mentioned this before to him. This seems like a pretty silly debate that shouldn't even be made, but someone is probably pressuring the team on this one so I doubt we'll see a change.

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
This is not that hard of a concept to understand why they would want to do this.
Yeah, you don't get it. Seriously switching factions doesn't bother anyone, and if you think it does then explain yourself.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-05-02 at 09:51 PM.
Old 2012-05-02, 09:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SKYeXile
Major General

we dont know what limitations are been imposed on F2P accounts, there is always a catch, best to wait until we know the facts.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-02, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Helps to prevent cheating so much if there's a timer...

Right. Explain exactly how you'd cheat. Use intel? In this game? By the time you switched sides the information is no longer relevant.

I can think of 100 better methods of cheating by just running another instance of PS2 on my laptop. I can jostle the mouse enough to keep from being booted from inactivity.

Just because PS1 handled it horribly doesn't mean its impossible to do it. People were distraught at the loss of the lattice for PS2 as well, but they've shown they know how to keep things open without allowing the annoyance of constant backhacking.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-05-02 at 09:58 PM.
Old 2012-05-02, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I tweeted Higby with my response. I've mentioned this before to him. This seems like a pretty silly debate that shouldn't even be made, but someone is probably pressuring the team on this one so I doubt we'll see a change.

Yeah, you don't get it. Seriously switching factions doesn't bother anyone, and if you think it does then explain yourself.

Have you ever played PS1? You with several other people in this thread seem to be confused about the "loyalty" aspect of the game. Yes your right this is a silly debate, because the PS devs already have it figured out. Only one faction per server. You do know you can play more then one server? Lol.. They don't want you sabatoging another empire on the same server your main empire is. That is just one example and if I wanted to waste my time I would make a whole list for you. Bottom line is when you choose a faction on a server you are fighting for that faction till the end. Im sorry I can't get into more detail with you but this is not that hard of a concept. And your tweet will most likely get ignored because you clearly don't understand what the fundamentals values of PS is. Best of luck, and I hope your not NC because I hate faction switching traitors.
Old 2012-05-02, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post

wtf?

people jumping ship because you're loosing or coming over because you're winning at the current time does not bother you?

perhaps some players have different mindsets to others, i would never fight against my outfit and I wont have anybody in FC who would jump ship.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-02, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
CutterJohn
Colonel

That is just one example and if I wanted to waste my time I would make a whole list for you.
All of your arguments became worthless when it became F2P.

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
wtf?

people jumping ship because you're loosing or coming over because you're winning at the current time does not bother you?

perhaps some players have different mindsets to others, i would never fight against my outfit and I wont have anybody in FC who would jump ship.
My outfit organized Defection Nights where we'd go to another empire to play around. Its a game with zero emphasis on story. We felt no more loyalty than one does to the red or blue sides in TF2. They may have fancier names than red, purple, and blue, but they're still just red, purple, and blue to most people.

The only thing I'm loyal to is my friends and my character, since i've spent so much time on it.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-05-02 at 10:08 PM.
Old 2012-05-02, 10:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
The Kush
Captain

wtf?

Thank you Sky. I am glad their are still some old school true planetside players out there. Unlike these newbies who want to fight their MAIN EMPIRE ON THE SAME SERVER. Notice the capitalized part, that's because as I have said before their is no problem with switching servers and playing a different faction (as the devs have already stated we can do) but fighting your main empire on the same server your outfit/fellow soldiers/squad mates ect is ridiculous.
Old 2012-05-02, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Right. Explain exactly how you'd cheat. Use intel? In this game? By the time you switched sides the information is no longer relevant.
Where's their spawn point? Where's their router pad? Where is their AA coming from? How many galaxies are they loading up? I can ask so many of these kinds of questions, and the one answer would be

"Hang on man, let me cheat and switch sides and just /tell you every detail about the enemy"

How boring and lame is that? You should have specialized people gathering intel on your own empire, not being lazy and relying on an empire switch to figure out the enemy's tactics.

If you want to play on a different empire, fine. You have to wait eight hours before switching again to prevent lazy 'intel gathering'. But since whenever you switch sides, it's your outfit night, so there really isn't any reason to be switching again after that, is there?
Old 2012-05-02, 10:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Bromaxulon
Private

= You do know you can play more then one server? Lol.. They don't want you sabatoging another empire on the same server your main empire is. That is just one example and if I wanted to waste my time I would make a ...
While you are correct about how you can easily switch to another server to play another empire, that's often not a solution that works perfectly.

Most would choose a server based on proximity to insure latency is kept to a minimum. Assuming this it would stand to reason that changing servers would cause lag issues and might even make the game unplayable.

Its understandable that the Devs want to keep you to one character per server to prevent someone from griefing, but to be honest its a bit heavy handed. I personally would want a chance to switch between empires to try each ones unique style, without having to changes servers and endure the inevitable latency issues that would almost assuredly result.

tl;dr neither the timer or the 1char per server will be a decent solution to empire jumping, as anyone who would want to grief or cause issues would simply open a new account and log on with that which basically circumvents both the 12 hr wait timer and the one character per server.
Old 2012-05-02, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
NCLynx
Major

Have you ever played PS1? You with several other people in this thread seem to be confused about the "loyalty" aspect of the game. Yes your right this is a silly debate, because the PS devs already have it figured out. Only one faction per server. You do know you can play more then one server? Lol.. They don't want you sabatoging another empire on the same server your main empire is. That is just one example and if I wanted to waste my time I would make a whole list for you. Bottom line is when you choose a faction on a server you are fighting for that faction till the end. Im sorry I can't get into more detail with you but this is not that hard of a concept. And your tweet will most likely get ignored because you clearly don't understand what the fundamentals values of PS is. Best of luck, and I hope your not NC because I hate faction switching traitors.
I said this in my post before, if you honestly think that a majority of the people in the original PS didn't have an alt on the other faction that they could play from time to time when they were bored than you didn't play Planetside.

wtf?

It's not to jump ship (or at least it wasn't before 2005, anytime after that when the population declined a lot then yes it happened for that reason a lot more) for a lot of people if was a "Hey guys were not going to do anything super serious tonight so instead of an ops outfit night were going to change up the scenery and mess around on our alts (**Which were usually a different faction**).

Everytime I played a different faction with friends it wasn't because we were losing on our mains, it was because we simply wanted to change it up for a night or two.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-05-02, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
SKYeXile
Major General

No I agree, after planetside died in like 2005, who cares what faction people play and when, nobody cares any more, prior to joining FC i played TR abit, you may remember some blondes running around with XXX at the start of their names

But when PS2 hits, you're either with us, or you're against us.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-02, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by Bromaxulon View Post
While you are correct about how you can easily switch to another server to play another empire, that's often not a solution that works perfectly.

Most would choose a server based on proximity to insure latency is kept to a minimum. Assuming this it would stand to reason that changing servers would cause lag issues and might even make the game unplayable.

Its understandable that the Devs want to keep you to one character per server to prevent someone from griefing, but to be honest its a bit heavy handed. I personally would want a chance to switch between empires to try each ones unique style, without having to changes servers and endure the inevitable latency issues that would almost assuredly result.

tl;dr neither the timer or the 1char per server will be a decent solution to empire jumping, as anyone who would want to grief or cause issues would simply open a new account and log on with that which basically circumvents both the 12 hr wait timer and the one character per server.
I definitely see where your coming from and you make some valid points. However you have to understand this game will be a lot larger then the original and this most likely means more then a few servers per region. So you will have multiple servers to choose from without issues.
Old 2012-05-02, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
aceshigh
Private

Misc Info

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
I said this in my post before, if you honestly think that a majority of the people in the original PS didn't have an alt on the other faction that they could play from time to time when they were bored than you didn't play Planetside.

It's not to jump ship (or at least it wasn't before 2005, anytime after that when the population declined a lot then yes it happened for that reason a lot more) for a lot of people if was a "Hey guys were not going to do anything super serious tonight so instead of an ops outfit night were going to change up the scenery and mess around on our alts (**Which were usually a different faction**).

Everytime I played a different faction with friends it wasn't because we were losing on our mains, it was because we simply wanted to change it up for a night or two.

For the first year of PS1, if you wanted to play another faction, it was on a different server or a different account. As mentioned prior, since connections to the other servers typically sucked, people mostly just stayed put. This is what lead to people having such a strong connection to "their" faction.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion