Regarding the 4th Empire - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: it will make you Squeek.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-02, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
NCLynx
Major

Re: Regarding the 4th Empire

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
No I agree, after planetside died in like 2005, who cares what faction people play and when, nobody cares any more, prior to joining FC i played TR abit, you may remember some blondes running around with XXX at the start of their names

But when PS2 hits, you're either with us, or you're against us.
Yea, I'd be willing to bet that said different faction alts *on the same server* wouldn't happen immediately. However with how they have it setup it can't happen period.

Another point that I missed in my post is lots of us have rivalries or are friends with people from the other faction. Along with my outfit mates when we'd want to mess around with things that our mains couldn't always use, we would also play with people that we couldn't always play with. I have a bunch of friends in the TR Outfit Unleashed, do I like killing them? Yes, my main is NC and they know that. Did I occasionally hop on my TR and play with them as well? Yes, while it didn't happen often because my main is NC (yes I'm going to repeat that) it did still happen.

Originally Posted by aceshigh View Post
For the first year of PS1, if you wanted to play another faction, it was on a different server or a different account. As mentioned prior, since connections to the other servers typically sucked, people mostly just stayed put. This is what lead to people having such a strong connection to "their" faction.
I played within the first year, you were limited to 2 factions.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.

Last edited by NCLynx; 2012-05-02 at 10:31 PM.
Old 2012-05-02, 10:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
NCLynx
Major

double post

Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-05-02, 10:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I tweeted Higby with my response. I've mentioned this before to him. This seems like a pretty silly debate that shouldn't even be made, but someone is probably pressuring the team on this one so I doubt we'll see a change.

Yeah, you don't get it. Seriously switching factions doesn't bother anyone, and if you think it does then explain yourself.
people jumping ship because you're loosing or coming over because you're winning at the current time does not bother you?
Read my tweet. I'm all for having a small timer between faction switching, but no it doesn't bother me in the slightest if people switch sides. Also defending in PS1 was more enjoyable than the offense for me so switching to the "winning" side wouldn't make sense to me. Did you want to switch to the winning side a lot?

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
They don't want you sabatoging another empire on the same server your main empire is. That is just one example and if I wanted to waste my time I would make a whole list for you.
This is your only argument? That in a F2P game where I can make unlimited accounts that somehow allowing me to manage them within one account will fix empire hopping? This just hurts honest players.

Regarding the "loyalty" comment, it's a game. If you want to go roleplay jump into an RPG game and have a blast.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-05-02 at 10:57 PM.
Old 2012-05-02, 10:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Read my tweet. I'm all for having a small timer between faction switching, but no it doesn't bother me in the slightest if people switch sides. Also defending in PS1 was more enjoyable than the offense for me so switching to the "winning" side wouldn't make sense to me. Why did you want to switch to the winning side a lot?

This is your only argument? That in a F2P game where I can make unlimited accounts that somehow allowing me to manage them within one account will fix empire hopping? This just hurts honest players.

Regarding the "loyalty" comment, it's a game. If you want to go roleplay jump into an RPG game and have a blast.
Sorry I meant to say "winning" side, FC never loose, not when our goal is killing people.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-02, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Where's their spawn point? Where's their router pad? Where is their AA coming from? How many galaxies are they loading up? I can ask so many of these kinds of questions, and the one answer would be

"Hang on man, let me cheat and switch sides and just /tell you every detail about the enemy"

How boring and lame is that? You should have specialized people gathering intel on your own empire, not being lazy and relying on an empire switch to figure out the enemy's tactics.

If you want to play on a different empire, fine. You have to wait eight hours before switching again to prevent lazy 'intel gathering'. But since whenever you switch sides, it's your outfit night, so there really isn't any reason to be switching again after that, is there?

Free. To. Play. It exists. It will happen. Such being the case, any arguments about switching to the other team to perform nefarious actions are moot, since people who want to do such things will simply have another account to log in to, or even another account open on the same computer, or another one sitting nearby. Restrictions stop absolutely nothing.

That there may possibly be valid reasons to restrict people from switching is meaningless in the face of the fact that people can switch at any time they want, or even run multiple instances at once, with no restrictions at all.

The idea no longer has any value. All they've done is guarantee I make an alt account or two. I may even buy stuff for them. I'm not hurting for money. I would prefer not to do that, since I like my character and won't want to give up its progression, so I'd accept reasonable restrictions to let me switch my character between empires when I wish. I'd even pay for the privilege, tbh. But anything beyond that is pointless, since I will.. go to my alt. At which point all your restrictions have become 100% worthless.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-05-02 at 11:40 PM.
Old 2012-05-02, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Free. To. Play. It exists. It will happen. Such being the case, any arguments about switching to the other team to perform nefarious actions are moot, since people who want to do such things will simply have another account to log in to, or even another account open on the same computer, or another one sitting nearby.
That won't be the case if they require a valid credit card to play the game.
Old 2012-05-02, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
NCLynx
Major

Which they very likely won't. They're priding themselves on being a F2P game in which you're not required to pay anything to have fun. As for using it as an anti-spy/cheater measure? They have answered several times what their anti-cheating tactics consist of and it's never included making sure that someone uses a credit card upon account creation. (I understand that while it hasn't been said, it still could very well be done I just think it's way more unlikely)

Old 2012-05-02, 11:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
SKYeXile
Major General

you would be able to have multiple account all tied to the one credit card, they would never limit accounts to having an individual credit card, they could certainly ban by credit card and require one to play though.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-02, 11:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
CutterJohn
Colonel

Yes, but they would never do that. People have kids. Kids play games. Somewhere around here is a guy who played PS1 with his daughter. He's not going to want to have 2 credit cards just so they can play together. People live in the same house, share phones, play on the same computer. You will never see a game limit accounts based on those things.

And if they did do that, I take ten minutes and go get a prepaid debit card from wal mart.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-05-02 at 11:46 PM.
Old 2012-05-02, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
Which they very likely won't. They're priding themselves on being a F2P game in which you're not required to pay anything to have fun. As for using it as an anti-spy/cheater measure? They have answered several times what their anti-cheating tactics consist of and it's never included making sure that someone uses a credit card upon account creation. (I understand that while it hasn't been said, it still could very well be done I just think it's way more unlikely)
Entering a valid credit card number doesn't mean you have to buy anything. It can simply be an extra measure to deter hackers.

you would be able to have multiple account all tied to the one credit card, they would never limit accounts to having an individual credit card, they could certainly ban by credit card and require one to play though.
It wouldn't be a bad idea... and as Cutter said below, if you do happen to have more than one person in your home playing PS2, you can just go buy a prepaid card.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Yes, but they would never do that. People have kids. Kids play games. Somewhere around here is a guy who played PS1 with his daughter. He's not going to want to have 2 credit cards just so they can play together. People live in the same house, share phones, play on the same computer. You will never see a game limit accounts based on those things.

And if they did do that, I take ten minutes and go get a prepaid debit card from wal mart.
Well there's your solution right there.
Old 2012-05-03, 12:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
SKYeXile
Major General

Iv never herd of prepaid cards, but if you crazy Americans say so, then it probably wouldn't work.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
Old 2012-05-03, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Sirisian
Colonel

Entering a valid credit card number doesn't mean you have to buy anything. It can simply be an extra measure to deter hackers.
So then you'd be fine with allowing a character per faction on a server? I mean if your intent is to stop hackers you're not stopping anyone from legitimately using a faction at a time on the same account on the same server.

Iv never herd of prepaid cards, but if you crazy Americans say so, then it probably wouldn't work.
Most people have access to virtual credit card numbers. It allows you to make each transaction with a unique credit card number. If your plan of securing accounts to one person involves credit cards or phone numbers, you're gonna have a bad time.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-05-03 at 12:09 AM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-03, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Free to play sort of makes the one account thing irrelevant.
Old 2012-05-03, 12:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Free to play sort of makes the one account thing irrelevant.
True, but I like it. It means that at a minimum people with multiple accounts will not be able to get any of benefit from having multiple factions on the same account.

This thread makes me want to make a poll.

Anon poll with single choice answers.

-I would switch factions whenever I want
-I would switch factions when my faction is losing
-I would switch factions when my faction is winning
-I would only switch factions to join all of my friends
-I would only switch factions if my entire outfit did as well
-I would not switch factions

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-05-03 at 12:27 AM.
Old 2012-05-03, 12:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
This thread makes me want to make a poll.
Sound pointless. You have people assuming the worst in the average user. Your question would be polling basically 95% Planetside 1 players.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion