ironsig-- oh, i mean LIGHT-sights - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What if I don't have an AGP slot?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-22, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

Re: ironsig-- oh, i mean LIGHT-sights

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
tell me thats a video game screenshot and not a real photo in a discussion about a scifi video game or i will slap you down.
No but the point for the smarter crowd would be,we see that yes in holo sights you zoom in to get a clear shot on the target your aiming at and lose situation awareness,If you want more examples of this i can show you real life and video game, and if you ask any soldier they rather have just regular iron sights no holo or ACog due the disadvantage of the scope to situation awareness.

And people saying it will give away your Position yes it will its called Scope glare.

Last edited by bigcracker; 2012-05-22 at 10:20 PM.
Old 2012-05-22, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
CutterJohn
Colonel

The sights are definitely far too bright. If the blockage needs to remain, fine, but they don't need to be a bright blue. The contrast makes things ridiculously hard to see. Nobody ever ever ever ever would design a sight like that. Ever.

Also, +1 to allowing client side editing of reticles, including scope reticles. Just leave those specific textures unlocked and don't check them when checking the client integrity. We can handle the rest.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2012-05-22 at 10:46 PM.
Old 2012-05-22, 10:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

For comparison
NC (split-frame but only usable image I could extract/find)
Closest comparison would be a LMG sight in BF3/CoD |_( + )_|

TR (of this I am jealous)

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-05-22 at 10:50 PM.
Old 2012-05-22, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by bigcracker View Post
No but the point for the smarter crowd would be,we see that yes in holo sights you zoom in to get a clear shot on the target your aiming at and lose situation awareness,If you want more examples of this i can show you real life and video game, and if you ask any soldier they rather have just regular iron sights no holo or ACog due the disadvantage of the scope to situation awareness.
So you are bringing up real life in discussion about a video game and you're referring to yourself to be apart of the "smart crowd" with real guns im sure i cant come close to the knowledge of any American on guns, i wont fight that fight. Lucky for me we're talking about a video game that does not need to hold any comparisons to whats real.

We have seen no VS iron sights, they're all holo sights by the look of it and in that screenshot they would be at a disadvantage when compared to regular iron sights, and before you star the OH WELL BUT HOLOSIGHTS VS IRONSIGHTS ISNT MEANT TO BE BALANCED...remember: there looks to be no VS ironsights, these holosights are likely the vs ironsights.

also i have seen no scope glare in PS2, please provide a screenshot of this or a link to dev comment on the matter.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL

Last edited by SKYeXile; 2012-05-22 at 11:01 PM.
Old 2012-05-22, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Patek
Private

isnt there gonna be different types of iron/holosights for all the weapons anyways? @_@

but that holo is a bit too bright for the eyes
Old 2012-05-23, 01:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
remember: there looks to be no VS ironsights, these holosights are likely the vs ironsights.
I'd say the Beamer sights are the "ironsights", and the Pulsar being the Reddot/Holo-equivalent.

Atleast I frickin hope so.
Old 2012-05-23, 02:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Toppopia
Major

And people saying it will give away your Position yes it will its called Scope glare.
I doubt scopes cause as much scope glare as video games make us believe, because i don;t think that a sniper scope would always show up as a constant white light in the distance, I have heard stories of snipers and 1 instance in Vietnam, 2 snipers were hunting eachother, and the American was moving around and saw a flash about 1km away, quickly lined up a shot on what could have been anything from a mirror to a piece of metal, he shot it and just so happened to be the enemy sniper, so no scope glare please, unless you actually use the realistic formula for angle of refraction and such of scopes, or else don't add scope glare.

Edit: After looking at Wikipedia, it says that some scopes could glare easily, but i can still be correct by saying. "Since its the future we must have invented a new material to make sniper scopes out of or we have a special cover on them that stops glare." There we go, i kept my argument valid.

Last edited by Toppopia; 2012-05-23 at 02:33 AM.
Old 2012-05-23, 03:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
The "glare" is the reflection of sunlight, which can only be seen if you're in the cone of reflected light. Whether you can see it depends on the position of the sun, the position and angle of the scope, your own position, and which direction you're looking at.

Snipers know that they should adjust their aim as little as possible, because even an inch of movement can translate into a 10 meter cone of reflection sweep at distance, increasing the chance they get detected.

In games scope glare is often not even true reflection, it's just a light point that you can see from anywhere, put in to balance snipers. Some games use thick glowing tracers to achieve the same effect (eg PS1); letting people know where the sniper is. It would be incredibly lame otherwise. If you can be virtually invisible and keep firing strong shots from hundreds of meters away, it totally ruins the game.
I don';t mind something like a big tracer round, but glare is just stupid, i would rather be revealed after i have shot rather than before by some stupid glare. Because snipers are meant to relocate basically after every shot. Do what halo does and make a smoke trail from your bullet, lets you get/attempt a kill then you are revealed, not getting revealed before you have made a shot.
Old 2012-05-23, 03:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I wonder if they have some sort of artificial in engine mechanism which renders VS glowing ironsights less obvious at any distance greater than a few dozen meters.

In TB's video, the VS certainly don't seem to be glowing like christmas trees the way you would think they would based on some of the up close screen shots.
Old 2012-05-23, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Kipper
Captain

I think sights will be a big cash shop item; so everyone will have options for what they prefer. At least, that makes sense to me.

Some sights might be 'better' (red dot vs traditional iron sights, or rangefinder etc) so they might need to be cert'ed....

But for those which are just variations of each other, I don't see why they wouldn't sell the variations. Like a red dot, or a 'predator' style sight - would work the same way, just a different design.
Old 2012-05-23, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Popper
Private

if you ask any soldier they rather have just regular iron sights no holo or ACog due the disadvantage of the scope to situation awareness.

you are full of shit.

1) no soldier I have ever met would remove his aimpoint or optical sight in favor of iron sights, and none of the SF operators I have trained with has ever used ironsights (except for practice, in the event they have to pick up enemy weapons).

2) lens glare is severely reduced compared to computer games (modern military grade scopes), reddot and holo sights significantly so (if glare can be produced at all). Games often need to add the lens glare for balance reasons.

but back on topic:

Last edited by Popper; 2012-05-23 at 07:57 AM.
Old 2012-05-23, 08:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
Stardouser
Colonel

Scope glare is absolutely ridiculous in Battlefailed 3. I'm not saying scope glare shouldn't exist, but BF3's scope glare is yet another extreme casualization designed to equalize lower skill players with higher skill players and has no place in the game. I mean come on, it's as bright as a flashlight!

If we are going to have scope glare, it should only be visible when an enemy is looking right at you and it should be very slight.

And, it shouldn't happen at night. How ridiculous would that be, scope glare in the dark of night with no sun to glare?
Old 2012-05-23, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Serpent
Staff Sergeant

What I was thinking for the VS sights:

Simply have a small system in the gun that has a transparency trigger for those large half hexagons. When looking down the sights, the half hexagons will dim significantly.
Old 2012-05-23, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Serpent View Post
What I was thinking for the VS sights:

Simply have a small system in the gun that has a transparency trigger for those large half hexagons. When looking down the sights, the half hexagons will dim significantly.
Why have 'em bright in the first place, to make 'em easier to find?

"Now where were my sights again? Oh right, on top of my gun!"

...What?
Old 2012-05-23, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Serpent
Staff Sergeant

If you looked closely, you would know I was referring to the hexagons and not the actual crosshairs. Look again. Sheesh.

And why not have them bright when not zoomed in? People don't stare at their guns when they aren't aiming down the sights, they look forward at the hip-fire crosshairs. It wouldn't make sense to dim them just because.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion