De-evolution of Planetside?! - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: life is a b!tch, her name is {{eMaGyN}}
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-06-08, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
megamold
Second Lieutenant

Re: De-evolution of Planetside?!

Originally Posted by Bromaxulon View Post
Those of you who complain that games are easier and dumbed down these days are mostly old time gamers. I been gaming a long time and yea I would tend to agree that alot of mechanics are simplified and the difficulty has decreased.

Problem is that gaming is now mainstream culture, and like most things that were once small with close nit communities gaming has changed to suit the masses.

Back in the day most gamers were well .... Nerds, who generally enjoyed things that were relativity complex like say games like x-com or ADnD. Now that things are mainstream you get all those people who used to make fun of us gamer nerds now playing themselves and well were the money goes so goes design choices. Online culture has seemingly devolved from the helpful common interest communities of old to the current Troll fest we have today. It's a sad state of affair but it generally what happens when things get popular. </end rant>

Anyways in relation to the OP PS2 gameplay is streamlined, however, tactical play is just as relevant as it always has been, just with a little less focus on logistics (ant runs for ex) to more combat oriented tactics. Logi is still around though it centered on the resource system and is more strategic, and they will be adding more content as the game grows, meaning If thy attract a large share of the market with the BF style gameplay then they will have the time And funds to develop things for us more strategically minded players, ie lodestar as example. Plus as the COD players get more into the game it is possible that their sensibilities will change as well making them more interested in the deeper levels of play which will surely be added as patches etc.

Only time will tell but as it stands this game looks cooler then the witches titty and I for one cant wait to play.
yeah i pretty much agree with this 100%
Old 2012-06-08, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
Dairian
Sergeant

ARE YOU NUTZ! I think your just trolling. With the new map system its going to take more organization than PS1. They have talked about taking down shield generators and spawn points. And as for the terms there really isn't a need to take them down because you will spawn with your gear. This is needed to speed up game play and since the TTK is lower do you really think you will have time to access a term with someone shooting at you?

There will be plenty of Large Outfits that will be very organized. And my experience of planetside 1 were still lots of people just pressing instant action and funneling themselves into a fight without any organization. This is just ALPHA not release and if your so disappointed just don't play the game.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

Wall of text with no TLDR? Tsk tsk...
Old 2012-06-08, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
asdar
Private

I don't see ANY dumbing.

The way the devs discussed the bases there's going to be bases on flat plains and bases in mountains, they even talked about different methods of taking a base on Day 3. They weren't all domination.

I played PS and don't even understand what the OP would want except maybe he needs a time machine so he can replay the same game that's already gone. Is the only thing you want destroyable spawn pts, generator rooms and then you'll be happy?

You're very short on details about what you think the new game should be like and long on drama. What do you want to change from the demo?

Dumbing down a game to me is making it easy to play, if watching the demo's showed anything it was that newcomers are going to have a huge learning curve for PS2. If they left the close spawns in the game and let max units get in any vehicles that would be dumbing it down. PS2 is clearly more complex than PS was so I don't think this post is valid, except as a view of concern over the possibility of dumbing.

Heck, the holding resource points alone is going to mean that the map is full of strategic possibilities. They've got 3 factions, but also a kind of 3 way Air-tank-infantry loadout that's got tactical possibilities.

I understand worrying over details, but I can't see any concrete reason yet to think this game will be anything but better than PS.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Duddy
First Sergeant

I think it is far too early to draw conclusions from what we have seen.

It has already been stated that different bases have different layouts and it has been implied that different objectives will be available for different bases (even of the same type).

I'd have to say from what we have seen though is that gameplay has been improved from the previous.

Consider that indoor fights in PS1 wer mostly meat-grinders and that vehicular gameplay usually ceased to be of importance as soon as you took the CY. The new model opens up options for infantry and allows for vehicles to be involved at all stages of a base fight, or at least this seems the case at an AMP station.

But once again, I find myself in disbelief about how we talk about parts of gameplay that were potentially derogatory as being key to the franchise.

Generators, whilst offering some epic close call moments, often led to some rather stale gameplay. Blow the gen, clear the base out, now wait 15 minutes for the cap.

It may be true that it was a strategic option, but it was a terrible gameplay option. I have faith that the devs will be able to deliver new strategic options that actually add to gameplay as opposed to removing from it.

This said, I am keen to see hacking/disruption play more of a role as we have sene little to none of this so far.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

You think this thread is fun, just wait until they actually have something concrete to complain about. It will be the nerfocalypse before you know it.

Supplemental, I'm shocked by the number of people who seem to feel like shitty UX and non-intuitive gameplay is somehow a virtue.

The competition should be with those other guys in the helmets, not the game itself. Last I checked, they're still showing up to take territory. Has your "dumbing down" made that any easier?

Last edited by maradine; 2012-06-08 at 11:30 AM.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Access View Post
You still seem to have the patience and trust in developers that I prolly lost a good
while ago. The time I judge a game after buying it is way over...
That's as far as I read, kinda invalidates your whole arguement.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Kalbuth View Post
I beg to differ a lil bit. PS1 was also awesome because the saving ANT run was a thrilling moment when running through ennemy lines, the gen hold against big opposition was stressfull, and was denying ennemy tanks, etc...

Which existed because the NTU mecanism was in place, the generator system was in place, all that which is not setup by the players, but the game itself.

And I've not seen such objective not necesserily centered on the base capture, but all that was setup around the actual capture, and was a side objective helping the global one.
Perhaps there will be, we can only hope so, but I've yet to see that. It's not stupid to bring up the point

True. Well i remember them saying they still have generators, but they work different now (powering certain areas of the base only? )

Guess we have to wait and see once more, or get a Higby in here.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Ah more "dumbing down" arguments. Really, they've simply become a kind of unintentional joke. Who can find the most inane and nebulous reasons to freeze video game development a half-decade ago? Fight!

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
Ah more "dumbing down" arguments. Really, they've simply become a kind of unintentional joke. Who can find the most inane and nebulous reasons to freeze video game development a half-decade ago? Fight!
We can't play inventory tetris anymore! They've taken away my freedom! They've dumbed the game down! RRRRRRAAAAAGGGGGGEEEEEEEE!!!!
Old 2012-06-08, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
Head bob destroyed the purity of the FPS experience and dumbed it down. THIS ISNT REAL LIFE ITS A GAME
Old 2012-06-08, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
Head bob destroyed the purity of the FPS experience and dumbed it down. THIS ISNT REAL LIFE ITS A GAME
Vehicle E/E animations aren't in the game anymore! My immersion is broken! THIS SHOULD BE A REAL LIFE GAME!
Old 2012-06-08, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Joystick users better not have an advantage over my mouse and keyboard in dogfights THIS ISNT REAL LIFE ITS A GAME

edit: dude, don't QFT me when I'm being FPS hipster sarcastic.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Holy crap, look at all the trolling. This seems to happen every time someone posts Valid concerns that are not just blind praise.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
proxy
Contributor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dairian View Post
ARE YOU NUTZ! I think your just trolling. With the new map system its going to take more organization than PS1. They have talked about taking down shield generators and spawn points. And as for the terms there really isn't a need to take them down because you will spawn with your gear. This is needed to speed up game play and since the TTK is lower do you really think you will have time to access a term with someone shooting at you?

There will be plenty of Large Outfits that will be very organized. And my experience of planetside 1 were still lots of people just pressing instant action and funneling themselves into a fight without any organization. This is just ALPHA not release and if your so disappointed just don't play the game.
Listen to this guy.

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion