Requesting some Cert guidance - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: A CR5 on global is like a 5 year old who's high on sugar
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-02-29, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
shaizan
Contributor
Corporal

Requesting some Cert guidance

Hey folks, I'm asking for some opinions on what should be next for my Vanu Grunt character with some additional utility. I recently picked him up again after leaving him alone at BR 11 since before the server merge. I'm going to take this toon to BR 20. His current line up of certs is as follows:

BR 12 (1 unspent point)

Standard ExoSuit
Standard Assault
Agile ExoSuit
Medium Assault
Special Assault
Reinforced ExoSuit
Light Scout
Engineering

Mainly I run around now using a Pulsar-(Rocklet/Thumper) for outside. Once inside I use a Sweeper-(Rocklet/Thumper). I suppose the most glareing omission is HA. I've never been a big fan of HA, and I have prooven to be less than effective with it in the past. I really want Advanced Hacking (too useful to be ignored) and maybe CE.

Input welcomed...maybe you can think of something I have not.
Old 2004-02-29, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Veteran
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

I would

a: drop Special Assault and Light Scout
b: get Starfire, Anti-Vehicular and Ground Support until you get one more cred, then drop Starfire and Ground Support and get UniMAX.

Nothing rakes in BEP like a Starfire. Not even a Vanguard.

"Blessed are those who Hunger and Thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied." - Jesus Christ

PlanetSide player, retired
Old 2004-02-29, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
TheN00b
Colonel

Hmm, you're BR12, so 15 points... Here goes:

Medium Assault
Special Assault
ATV
Engineering
Combat Engineering
Reinforced Exosuit

Does that suit your preferences? O, BTW, use Surge and Enhanced Targetting for your implants.
Old 2004-02-29, 12:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
GreyFlcn
Sergeant Major

How about this:

2 Medium Assault
3 AV / Special
3 Reinforced ExoSuit
2 StarFire / CE
3 Engineering
2 AMS

15 TOTAL

Why AMS you ask? Because you can hop in as Agile, Park, then get ReXo.
If you die? No problem! Free respawn point
Also can't hurt to use it for some mowage :P
Old 2004-02-29, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
TheN00b
Colonel

LMAO Grey, nice pic .
Old 2004-02-29, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
illusionz
Private

Is there any way to clear all certs at one time? if not its gunna take me a fucking whole week to reconfigure my shit
Old 2004-02-29, 02:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

I have a few pointers, but these are simply my preferences. It's important that you find the right combination of certs that give you the abilities that you enjoy using.

There are a few key areas you will want to focus on. Certs are one to be sure, but your implants and equipment load outs are just as important.

With that said here is what I did when I was BR12:

Certifications:

Heavy Assault
Medical
Engineering
Mosquito

You can heal and repair yourself and others, as Vanu you have an excellent HA weapon to kill infantry and slowly take down MAX units. Your armor is light for now so be sure to use your superior mobility to advantage.

For transportation you just can't beat the Mosquito. It's speed and maneuverability are unmatched in the game and it's a killing machine in it's own right. You will never be left out of the action of waste time navigating difficult terrain.

Implants:

For implants get Darklight (a must for a grunt) and Surge. Surge is vital to give you the speed you need to survive. However, because of the warping bug it's use is frowned apon... What I do is Surge to the enemy and then turn it off when I fight.

Inventory:

For my Agile Armor Inventory I have the following:

Pistol Slot 1: Medical Applicator
Pistol Slot 2: BANK
Rifle Slot: Lasher
Inventory: 3 Med Kits, 2 BANK Refills, REK, and 4 energy cell ammo boxes

The med kits are critical. That extra boost in mid fight of +25 health can mean the difference between victory and defeat. Always carry a few and replace them ASAP when used. This is the #1 thing I loot from packs.

Mosquito Trunk Inventory Favorite: Don't forget to save a fav for your vehicle load out. I keep 12mm ammo for the mossy the same as default (4 boxes) but add 4 energy cell ammo boxes for my Lasher and 2 Med Kits.

Key Configuration:

As crucial as selecting the right certifications and getting a solid equipment load out is your key configuration. Set this however you are comfortable with. Just keep it simple and easy to use in a tight situation. Those med kits won't do you any good if you can't easily use them. For example I have my left mouse button configured to fire my weapon and I have my right mouse button configured to use my Med Kit... it's saved my ass countless times.

Also, I have all 3 of my implants keyed to my mouse wheel... roll up, roll down, and press.

FYI my final character build at BR 20 is as follows:

Heavy Assault
Anti-Vehicle
Reinforced Armor
Medical
Combat Engineering (sometimes I�ll drop CE and pick up an AA MAX)
Mosquito

Added Implant at BR18: Audio Amp

As I was leveling up, every time I had an extra cert point left over I�d drop the Mosquito and pick up Air Calvary. Sometimes at BR20 I miss my Reaver, but not often. The Mosquito owns.
Old 2004-02-29, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
BadAsh
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by illusionz
Is there any way to clear all certs at one time? if not its gunna take me a fucking whole week to reconfigure my shit
It's gonna have to take a week. You can only unlearn 1 cert every 24 hours. Initially this is what got me playing another empire. I converted my pure support/cloaker to a heavy grunt... took me 8 days... lol.
Old 2004-02-29, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
goodbosun
Contributor

Almost all of my guys will end up with AV and SA. I normal carry Thumper with jammer and plasma grenades and my empire's AV weapon. If you hit a tank with a jammer then unload a clip of the AV weapon into it then repeat, you will be surprised how often the tank will run away from you defeated. That is you do not get run over. I also have an ams cert often. You cannot have too many ams in a battle.
Old 2004-02-29, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
MidnightDave
Contributor
Master Sergeant

I hate to say this, if u are vanu get HA, currently nothing stands a chance against a lasher in a 1 on 1 even fight, not an mcg, not a jh, nothing.

oh and I have tried to start petitions to be able to do a clear-all button for certs with like a 72hr timer on it.
Old 2004-02-29, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Eldanesh
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by MidnightDave
I hate to say this, if u are vanu get HA, currently nothing stands a chance against a lasher in a 1 on 1 even fight, not an mcg, not a jh, nothing.
Bah, surgile/jh/mcg can still kill rexo lashernoobs. Just hafta be careful not to jump on more than 3.

However, HA is defenatly the way to go as vs, that and starfire and you are all set.
Old 2004-02-29, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Lithpope
Corporal

Just my opinion but, I think you should make ground support part of your loadout. For selfish and unselfish reasons there is no reason EVERYONE should not have Ground Support. It is your own cheap source of transpot but, on top of that you bring your spawn point and equipment terminal with you (this is especially handy if you are a CE). AMS' are speedy, tough and have ability to turn the tide of battle (many times saving you a lot of time and frustration taking a base).

Just my 2 cents
Old 2004-03-01, 12:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
shaizan
Contributor
Corporal

Hey, folks, I appreciate the input, I'll look into some of the suggestions. I neglected to mention the implants I've had this toon using. At the moment he has Darklight and Personal Shield. REXO and Personal Shield have been a reasonable alternative/counter to a 'Surgile' style of play. I prefer it over 'Surgile'.

I will look into getting a Star Fire MAX next BR, although I've never been much of a MAX person. I find them a tad too limiting for my tastes. Perhaps I'll like an AA role better. I will also give CE a try. That should keep me occupied.
Old 2004-03-01, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Fenrys
Major

Engineer + Combat Engy: 5 certs
Infil Suit: 2 certs

Lighting up a boomer under someone's arse: Priceless

Engi/CE: 5
Infil: 2
Rexo: 3
Medium Assult: 2

Wich will leave you with 3 cert points to get the vehicle of your choice.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion