vegitation draw distance - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-16, 10:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
NewmanOnIsland
Private

Question vegitation draw distance

For system performance, there is a limit on the texture drawing.
or so I believe.
My question to you all is: From these picts can we assume that the draw limit of the ground vegitation is about 5 to 10 meters around the main subject?

Is it possible that it has been limited for testing at the time of the screen-shots or that they just set up in these locations because it looked better and they are just random patches of grass?

This clear enough?

Take a look
First is outside a base.
veg1
second is outside warpgate
veg2

Newmanonisland
Old 2003-02-16, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
NewmanOnIsland
Private

so if this player were to turn around 180 degrees and run, would the patch of grass and details fill in infront of him as he goes?
Hmmmm
Old 2003-02-16, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
KeviN
First Sergeant

That's a good question, but those aren't really in-game pics, so it could go either way. You might also have and option for terrain details, I remember Maxis doing that with the grass in The Sims. If you raise the detail, it'll run a bit slower, lower it and it would run faster, just not look quite as nice.
Old 2003-02-16, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
quiet
Staff Sergeant

Originally posted by NewmanOnIsland
so if this player were to turn around 180 degrees and run, would the patch of grass and details fill in infront of him as he goes?
Yup. You can even see the grass fade-in in one of the movies. In the movie I think the draw-in distance was considerably farther out than that 1st screenshot so I would guess thay have tweaked the foilage fx some, or different greenery has different draw-in distances.
Old 2003-02-16, 11:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

Some terrain objects that can be collided with (i.e Tree's/rocks) will always be in drawn up to the max sight range, with the level of detail going down sharply at a range. Vegiatation that is just for looks and cant be used as cover and the such like grass and shrubbery will be drawn only when one is close to it yes. Other then making you harder to see and adding cool looks to the game this stuff does nothing, so it will likely be scaleable, so that those who want to see endless plains of grass can and those who like hard earth will only see a little.

Did that make sense?
Old 2003-02-16, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
NewmanOnIsland
Private

Got it. Thanks for the reply.
NewmanOnIsland
Old 2003-02-16, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
SGDreyton
Private

I played AC2 and that is exactly how it worked. At the highest setting it was a rather large distance, but at the lowest setting it looked cheesy
Old 2003-02-16, 11:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Tolvy
Sergeant Major

My worry isn't the vegitation, my worry is being able to see the other people from long distances. If you turned up the graffic settings and sight distance, you would be able to see someone from farther away than some other people. This would give snipers a huge advantage. You get shot by a sniper that is so far away you can't see them.
Old 2003-02-16, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
OmnipotentKiwi
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally posted by {BT}Tolvy
My worry isn't the vegitation, my worry is being able to see the other people from long distances. If you turned up the graffic settings and sight distance, you would be able to see someone from farther away than some other people. This would give snipers a huge advantage. You get shot by a sniper that is so far away you can't see them.
Not necessarily. It just means your computer will draw the figure better then another computer. If your clip range is cut down, there is a lot of other things they can adjust such as details of characters outside of the clip range, or how many items that appear on the person. I really don't think this will be an issue.
Old 2003-02-16, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

aye what he said.

You will be able to see just as far as the sniper, and though he might be kneeling by a rock and using his zoom so you cant really make him out, you can see just as far. Even with zoom you can only see so far. The zoom does not let you see further, just lets you see what you normally could closer up. If a sniper can see you, you can see the sniper.
Old 2003-02-16, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Hellsfire123
Contributor
Captain

Weapon zooms allow you to see further. If you want proof, go into counterstrike and lower all the settings. Then make an awp map server in lan. if you look to the far end you shouldnt be able to see the far wall, now zoom in. You can see the wall, double zoom, you can see details.
Old 2003-02-16, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Tobias
I'm with the Vanu

But this is not CS.

If you lower your graphics to the lowest then yes everything at a distance is gonna look like crap and those NC snipers will look like trees, but you will still beable to see them. Just as they can see you. Zoom just shows it closer up. Trust me.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion