Tanks vulnerable to smaller arms fire? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: couldn't dodge it even if I wanted to
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-06-15, 08:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Asherigo
Private

Re: Tanks vulnerable to smaller arms fire?

Hi all!
A nice thing in PS1 was the 2 types of ammunitions.
Will it be the same in PS2??
Old 2012-06-16, 10:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

In one of the footage, I think it was totalbiscuit footage, you see a Light Assault jetpack over a magrider and shoot at the back, you do get 'hit' indicators then. But not sure if it will give you hit indicators even if it does no damage.

To be honest small arms fire should in fact do 0 damage.
Old 2012-06-16, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Erk
Private

Originally Posted by I SandRock View Post
In one of the footage, I think it was totalbiscuit footage, you see a Light Assault jetpack over a magrider and shoot at the back, you do get 'hit' indicators then. But not sure if it will give you hit indicators even if it does no damage.

To be honest small arms fire should in fact do 0 damage.
I agree. Small arms do nothing to modern military vehicles; futuristic ones couldn't be any worse off.
Old 2012-06-16, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

In PS, AI rounds do basically half the damage of AV rounds. I think this is fine, we have C4 and HA can have missile launchers all the time, so it is stupid to spend AI ammo on a tank.

Something weaker like a Quad though, yeah anything should deal it substantial damage with enough direct hits, especially from the sides and back.
Old 2012-06-16, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Haro
Master Sergeant

I'd imagine that they probably can. I've seen very few games that actually don't allow infantry weapons to damage vehicles in some way or another, but usually its totally not worth it and just gives your position away.

I don't think we need to worry all that much about "squishy" vehicles succumbing to mass infantry fire, tank health will likely scale very differently for non-AV weapons.
Old 2012-06-17, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Arcticus
Corporal

Tanks are very resistant to metal bullets. They do, however, take massive damage from wood and other plant life. As infantry, I advise you to drop the nanotech weaponry and grab yourself a tree branch or a shrub or something. I think if you're sporting a magic wand or a staff or a twig, you'll be all set.

Of course, when the driver and the gunner pop out of the tank, don't be trying the quick-knife. You should have topped out your Whittling certification (5 points maxed out using organic & catalytic resources).

Stake through the heart works fine on both LA and HA (slow on the HA to go through their shields. Lean into it).

Against Inf, use Splinter Blast, works like a charm. You actually get to hear a death moan. And even when cloaked, you get the "1,000 blood droplet" animation

Against medics I have a dificult time...don't know what I'm doing wrong. That damn heal genade is OP'ed and that whole "time-delayed rez grenade" is BS. I kill them, the nade goes off and rezzes them and they finish me off...where's the balance in that, I ask. I'm sure that'll be fixed in beta.

If an Engi gets his turret up before you get to him, you're toast. I've tried using a bungie stick trap on them but not one has fallen for it. Campers one and all! What am I doing wrong here? Is there a way to take them down without using up a slot on the blow dart gun thing?
Old 2012-06-23, 04:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Exodan
Corporal

I watched a video of the game being played on one of the demo pods at E3 and some dude tried shooting a tank with an assault rifle but no hit indicator came up on his cross-hairs as it did when he shot a person so I'm guessing, from that, tanks wont take damage from regular bullet weapons.
Old 2012-06-23, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Solidblock
Staff Sergeant

I would love to see a heavily certed sniper rifle being able to have anti-material rounds, to the expense of being weaker on infantry. To balance this they should do little damage to tanks, but perhaps a round more to kill 1 infantryman.
Old 2012-06-24, 10:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Ruwyn
Corporal

Originally Posted by Exodan View Post
I watched a video of the game being played on one of the demo pods at E3 and some dude tried shooting a tank with an assault rifle but no hit indicator came up on his cross-hairs as it did when he shot a person so I'm guessing, from that, tanks wont take damage from regular bullet weapons.
I certainly hope they still hit and ping and flash up even if the dmg is next to nothing. Baiting tanks into minefields with a seemingly easy infantry kill was hilarious. Hard to bait if they just ignore you.
Old 2012-06-24, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Nemeses
Staff Sergeant

Thought that all weapons could damage tanks, normal rounds doing the least of damage and then scaling upward depending on what you carrying.
Old 2012-06-25, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

There are no AP rounds in PS2.

Old 2012-06-28, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
StarFault
Private

I would like it if heavy vehicles took no damage from bullets, or just very little damage, and aircraft were vulnerable to bullet fire, but only a bit. This could enable ground troops being able to take down bombarding aircraft, and work together to focus their fire on the aircraft to bring it down. Although this is probably not likely. I saw in the E3 stream that air crafts took very little damage (if any) when troops shot at them.
Old 2012-06-29, 12:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Light vehicles (see Humvee) yes, should be vulnerable to small arms. A tank... No. That's retarded. I don't care about pathetic whining losers who feel "useless". They should feel useless. It's a fricking TANK, people. No, this is not a simulation, but come on! People with the "I want to WIN no matter how stupid I'm being" need to go hide in a ditch.

Note: This coming from an infantryman.

Actual ARMOR should be immune to small arms. Infantry are squishy targets to vehicles, and that's only reasonable. Any even remotely intelligent group of infantry (3 or more) should begin including AT and AA weapons, just like in real life. Out of ten guys in a squad, there will be at least two or three carrying some sort of RPG/AT launcher.

Armor hordes become vulnerable to infantry in close quarters because infantry can be literally EVERYWHERE (inside buildings, on top of buildings, hiding behind that bush, etc). They also become vulnerable to aircraft under certain situations, just by the nature of the beast.

Artificial balancing is a big no-no. And unnecessary to boot. To a large extent, these things balance themselves by their very nature. Barring something being HORRIBLY and OBVIOUSLY unbalanced, if someone or a group of someone's gets pwned... It's probably because they were doing something wrong. Smart people will always use combined arms... and combined arms will win.

-edit

And the scale PS2 will be operating on, these are the sort of situations that will exist. There is no need for goofy "balancing" like "If forty of us shoot M4s at a tank, we can kill it!".

Last edited by vVRedOctoberVv; 2012-06-29 at 12:38 PM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions