Will Planetside 2 disappoint its hardcore fans? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now in five new flavors!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-15, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Letten
Private

Re: Will Planetside 2 disappoint its hardcore fans?

This place is not Mordor, dude...yet

nah just kidding I am sure PS2 will be great
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-06-15, 11:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I am one of Planetside's most passionate and hardcore fans, and I am not concerned in the least that it will disappoint me.
Old 2012-06-16, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Mishap
Private

well im new & i think that if you dont get in a good squad or outfit it will be hard trying to play as a unit..... or for that matter know what the objective is. people have to decide for themselves if they like or dislike it dont let the hardcore fans decide for you decide for yourself ....besides its free
Old 2012-06-16, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
SniperSteve
First Lieutenant

Heck yeah. I'll play PS2 even if it is a terrible game by most people's standards, haha.
Old 2012-06-17, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
wraithverge
Sergeant

by definition, a hardcore fan will always be upset by changes because it deviates from the thing he is devoted to. So yeah, it'll piss off a bunch of the players who stuck around for nine years. Meanwhile those of us who bailed during the BFR days and always looked back with fond memories will love ps2.
Old 2012-06-17, 08:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Elude
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Reddek View Post
Thanks for your responses, guys.

I was just asking because I just want to make sure that the original Planetside playerbase is happy with how Planetside 2 is looking at the moment.

I guess I should judge for myself on how it looks, and I have to admit that it looks excellent, but are all the original Planetside players happy with how it looks?
PS1 wasn't that great of a game to begin with and the biggest reason people enjoy it is because of the persistence and large scale battles. If PS2 becomes a disappointment to it's old player base it will be because these two key features were drastically changed in a negative way.
Old 2012-06-18, 02:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Shinjorai
First Sergeant

Im not sure im hardcore or casual but i plan to spend a ton of time playing PS2. I only played the original ps1 a month or so on a free trial i had and couldn't afford the monthly fee at that time, or i would've still been playing it to this day. Its the kind of game i've always dreamed of playing and i love the whole concept.

The thing i think to remember about PS2 is they said its a reimagining of the original and not a true sequel so that says right there they're going to make some changes. I think the one guy above who posted about the reasons why companies make games the way they do, due to pressure to make sales etc is exactly right. It has to be accessible to new players to suck them in as well as have enough depth to keep the more hardcore players you're asking about. So trying to strike that balance its going to lose some features both sides might want as well as gain some others to make up for it. I'm pretty much just repeating what everybody else has already said but basically to sum up it will not dissapoint over all, but maybe in some areas where vets liked a certain system in the original game thats not there but is replaced with something new and different that caters to both camps of players.

Im just wondering myself what its really gonna be like but i guess none of us will know until beta begins (fingers crossed that thats in the next few weeks).
Old 2012-06-18, 03:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
MacXXcaM
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shinjorai View Post
The thing i think to remember about PS2 is they said its a reimagining of the original and not a true sequel
For a multiplayer-only game it doesn't really matter if you call it sequel or reimagining.

PS1 fits into its time as PS2 will now.

I expect to feel the glory of huge tactical battles again I experienced for the very first time in 2004.

Sadly we still didn't see any huge outside battles yet. Small skirmishes around bases isn't what PlanetSide made special so I can see why the public hype still hasn't come.
Old 2012-06-18, 11:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Raka Maru
Major

I played PS1 and loved it because you weren't matched with angry randoms that expect you to perform in a certain way. It was an open world, an FPS and you did what you wanted.

Sure, there were play styles and tactics I've grown fond of, but I learned to use them because it was a game I wanted for the reason above.

So for me, I'm already NOT disappointed. I'm very EXCITED about PS2 as a long term vet. You have to go back to the very reason it stood head and shoulders above the rest of the plain ol' FPS's.
Old 2012-06-18, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Exmortius
Master Sergeant

i think the game will still rule. i definitely like the direction it's going. i will miss the giant base hack and hold and running footballs like the old days but i think the battles will be mostly small medium sized by splitting up more points to take over. it should still be very fun and better than anything else out there by far. not to mention there will be plenty of room for growth. who knows maybe other continents will have the traditional hack and hold style bases :P for the old schoolers like myself.
Old 2012-06-18, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Radaeron
Sergeant

Fairly hardcore fan here.

I'm concerned I will be a little disappointed purely from how much I have been hyping it up personally. Of course, overall I think I'll still have fun playing it. But I am still concerned.

Just need the devs to prove me wrong I guess
Old 2012-06-19, 09:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
xnorb
Sergeant

After BF3 failed horribly for me, i put all my faith in PS2.

For me PS2 will be a full success if it doesn't turn from high TTK / slow
paced game to a CoDish insta-respawn clusterfuck meatgrinder like BF3 did.
Old 2012-06-19, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Exmortius
Master Sergeant

one thing i do like i should point out is the base design. it looks like they are really putting a ton of effort into making the bases more unique and the environments all different. i think that will really keep things very fresh for a long time. that way people don't get used to the same base all the time. overall i'm incredibly impressed with the amount of effort the dev team is putting in. will it be exactly the same as ps1 no but will it still rule all signs point to yes. nothing in the videos so far i've seen has looked like they have not improved upon any other mechanics.

planes should be far improved, tanks, max units, snipers, light assault. they've made changes to all and all appear to be much cooler overall to me. no other combat game has the tactics this game has bar none. so far i'm nothing but impressed and can't wait for beta.
Old 2012-06-19, 11:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
AzK
Sergeant

I'm already disappointed.

1) bf3 gunplay
2) classes
3) no inventory/proper backpacks looting
4) no sanctuaries

It won't be a bad game, but it will just be a different take on bf3, nothing to do with ps apart from the setting. They only called it ps2 to get ps1 customers and reuse the factions and not having to come up with new stuff.

Ps2 and the original one have very little in common.
Old 2012-06-20, 07:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Miir View Post
Hell yes! Nothing makes me happy.

Except this:
http://hamma.ytmnd.com/

edit: But seriously. I think fans are the hardest to please and they are bound to be some bumps in the road. So far from what we've seen up to this point. The game is exceeding my expectations. We'll know more after beta
I didn't think anyone else still had that link. Actually I IMed it to Hamma last week just for lulz.

As for how I feel about PS2, I'm pretty confident. All the game footage I've seen so far seems very promising; it FEELS like the original PS while not just being a graphics reboot. I'll admit I'm worried at the addition of a new class (LA) and some new mechanics (like drivers gunning tanks) because I'm worried certain units might become too appealing (other vets will remember how PlanetSide turned into BFRside when SoE released giant mechs into the game) but as long as there always is an effective counter to a unit, I think the players will respond to class / vehicle overuse by equipping weapons designed for that purpose. (I know if LA becomes too big a problem I'll be carrying a sweeper shotgun to take them out of the sky!)

Another thing that keeps me confident is Higby's enthusiasm. SmokeJumper was definitely a good Community Manager in the first PS, but back then social media and the popularity of media like YouTube didn't exist. We interacted with him through the forums, and while he did a good job, we couldn't really SEE how enthusiastic he was about the game.

Now we've got Higby tweeting, redditing, taking video interviews left and right, practically jumping up and down with excitement over his brainchild. He certainly seems to love what he's doing and we know he's listening carefully to what we have to say. It makes me confident that any concerns the community has will be listened to and ironed out in Beta.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2012-06-20 at 08:03 AM.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions