Teamwork - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The UN has found no Weapons of Mass Destruction here.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-06-27, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
regisp
Private

Teamwork

So I know at E3 people were working together because they were provided with the opportunity to do so, and they were having a really, really good time.

My question is this: Will teamwork be easy to come by in PS2? I do plan on joining an Outfit, that is a given. But how would this work? Do I always join them in fighting for territory/ defending the bases?

And if I don't join an outfit right away, and play on my own for some time, I'm unsure what the community is like (or will be like). Will people be working together well (ie: flying in galaxies together, capturing points together, etc.)?

Just a little confusion :-)
Old 2012-06-27, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
dorgo
Corporal

Re: Teamwork

In Planetside 1 players could form squads, platoons without being in a outfit, most of the time these were formed by outfits anyway.

I cant see it being any different in planetside 2, i will squad up as soon as i can, because it makes it a much better game experience and you share XP with your teammates.
Old 2012-06-27, 01:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
GoldDragon
Corporal

It really depends on what kind of teamwork you have in mind. If you're looking for shared experience then there will be squads of people who in the original PS were known as kill whores. These are ether lonewolves sharing xp or small groups holding onto favorable positions to get a lot of kills.

If you want something more tactical some open squads will coordinate but it's normally one guy pointing in a direction and everyone following. Essentially an organized zerg (rushing group). There are even some outfits that operate in this manner sonplayers are free to do what they want while pushing a mutual objective.

Your best bet for organized play is in either an open squad run by an outfit or in an outfit itself. Some outfits have squads that have a few experienced ppl from their crew working with others to help organize them and complete objectives. Other outfits run closed squads that are usually highly organized and skilled at whatever they do.

For example, my outfit is a jack if all trades group and we'll do a little bit of everything. We are always communicating with each other usually via teamspeak and we almost always work in small groups within our squads (fireteams). Each fireteam will consist of 2-5 players and have it's own goal that supports an overall objective. We also will work with other outfits via platooning or tells between officers.

So down to it there will always be some level of teamwork to be found in planetside. It just depends on what you want.
Old 2012-06-28, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Shinjorai
First Sergeant

I really hope the community is good as well. The ones ive met from the current planetside community all seem pretty kewl and willing to work together for the most part. I just really REALLY hope this doesnt devolve into something like battlefield 3 is now on pubs. Sometimes the lack of teamwork and overall mindset in those games really pisses me off to be honest.

I dont mind losing if people work together, i have fun in games regardless, but theres nothing worse than playing with people that only care about kill death ratio and have no clue how to move as a squad, like bounding one by one and moving up covering each other. That is a lot of fun, whats not fun is when you have people blocking doorways, shoving you out the way, rudeness just for the sake of being rude, people asking for help and somebody being obnoxious as hell just for the sake of being obnoxious. Trolling i guess yould call it. Whatever it is i hope it dies out soon but I have a feeling it will only get worse as time goes on because of peoples everybody owes me something mentality now adays.

All that aside im not totally negative and believe in trying to see the good in things, so im really hopeful that this game wont be like that. If they design the game to promote it from the get go i think small things will go such a long way toward making people actually want to cooperate. Which will be freaking awesome. I cant wait to get in there and practice the use of supressing fire while your buddies in your squad move up, one guy on flank watching the rear. Just a lot of fun when people work like a well oiled machine.

I think the long and short of it though is be the best we can be as far as being friendly helpful teamwork oriented players ourselves and be willing to do what it takes to help our team win, including those jobs alot of people might not wanna do. It will encourage other people to follow suit. I personally like doing the frontlines stuff as well as support so either way im happy.

All jokes aside, the average game of battlefield 3 is a lot like this lol.
Old 2012-06-28, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
fvdham
Staff Sergeant

> My question is this: Will teamwork be easy to come by in PS2?

TeamWork occurs naturally even if you are not in a squad.
With people you don't know. Examples:

Infantry:
- You may get wounded and a random medic next to you may heal you.
- You are moving through a corridor with others. You cover them and they cover you.

Transport:
- You want to move to the next base and you hop in a random transport.
Next you may or may not be booted from it. It depends on whether the seat was reserved for some1.

Tanks:
- You follow a friendly tank you just saw to stay clear of mines and add to the localized firepower.
- You see a heavily damaged friendly tank retreating. You deploy your own tank as bullet shield behind it.
Old 2012-06-28, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

Not much multiplayer experience here (in other games than planetside), but I have found that people in Planetside are willing to cooperate.

Like the guys said, people often support others. When it comes to a basefight and things get really crowded in the first line, you always find at least half a dozen men one corner behind and they are busy repairing and healing the others.

It is the mindset of the planetside player, that makes him an above average teamplayer even with randoms around.

Planetside 2 will be a completly new experience with a lot of people coming from generic shooter games (codboys, BF-fans etc), and I really do hope that they will learn the importance of teamplay rather than ragequitting after being owned by a squad of teamplaying 'noobs'.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions