A confession - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I can't believe it's not spam!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-06-02, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
ringring
Contributor
General

A confession

I have to break some news to you guys. It's been something that's been my dirty little secret for a little while but I can conceal it no longer.

I like tanking in PS2 better than in PS1.

There, I've said it. I'm sorry I'm sorry, I can't help it, I was probably born like this and I know I've been living a lie.

Driving a tank in PS2 is nice. The prowler is pretty good, I'm not trying to claim it the best there is, but it suit me just fine.

I even like the lightning. To be honest again, I never did like the lightning in PS1.

On the other, it is a good job I do like tanking because I don't much care for the infantry game.

There you go, make of it what you will.
Old 2013-06-02, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Shogun
Contributor
General

Re: A confession

ok, now go to the corner and think about what you´ve done!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-02, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Figment
Lieutenant General

In what aspects? Handling?

I'll have to disagree though, was a huge relief driving the Thunderer and PS1 Sunderer again instead of the PS2 Sunderer. At least it can make a turn and doesn't continuously want to topple out of control to either side like a drunken sailor and worse, explode when toppling over instead of continueing the roll or simply getting stuck upside down, slide and deconstructing eventually.

And the boring tanking where you constantly have to stand still (and the frustrating bit where you take hits because of that from strafing, non toppling, stably floating Magriders) and accelerate again, simply because you can't leave the leading to a gunner and can't even try making a strafing run on a group of enemies because you'll explode due to a threat that came out of nowhere, each time making you annoyed that there was nothing you could do about it.

And that despite of better third person than PS1 and faster rotating turrets than PS1 (so fast even, it's insane: there's no flanking gain by having speed because you can't outcircle an enemy in a dogfight).

Speaking of driving, the Fury in PS1 was another relief after a lot of frustration on the PS2 ATV where you always get sniped or HE shot before the ATV even takes damage, while you're able to maneuvre without making a continuous 540 out of control spin as you tried to take a small turn.

So that really does make me wonder, what is actually better and is it just the Prowler for you? Cause I don't really see the fun in driving in PS2. :/ It's a "meh" situational means to an end to me in PS2 and it was everything to me in PS1.

Also, where the *(@^$@*(#*@ is my 0-10-20-...-100% throttle control? All or nothing is really annoying.
Old 2013-06-02, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Shogun
Contributor
General

yeah, i don´t understand either.

the only vehicle in ps2 that is fun to drive is the harasser.

all other vehicles feel just plain wrong.
and the only vehicle i drive is the sunderer because ams is such an important thing to have. but only as far as i really need to.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-06-02, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
CrimsonTemplar
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
I have to break some news to you guys. It's been something that's been my dirty little secret for a little while but I can conceal it no longer.

I like tanking in PS2 better than in PS1.

There, I've said it. I'm sorry I'm sorry, I can't help it, I was probably born like this and I know I've been living a lie.

Driving a tank in PS2 is nice. The prowler is pretty good, I'm not trying to claim it the best there is, but it suit me just fine.

I even like the lightning. To be honest again, I never did like the lightning in PS1.

On the other, it is a good job I do like tanking because I don't much care for the infantry game.

There you go, make of it what you will.
Break down the door! Drag him out! Beat him! Strip him! Whip him raw until he recants his blasphemous sentiments!

It's a mixed bag for me. Some vehicles in PS1 felt fun to commandeer such as the switchblade and vanguard (never liked the prowler in PS1). Others not so much. I got annoyed easily with the quads (fury, basilisk etc).

In PS2, I enjoy mucking around in vehicles a good deal more. With the new physics I try and push and shove them around, especially the Harasser. No shame in at all. Now we just need some more infantry love and Bob is your good ole uncle. At least until more lasting, intercontinental gubbins come a rolling in.
Old 2013-06-02, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
In what aspects? Handling?

I'll have to disagree though, was a huge relief driving the Thunderer and PS1 Sunderer again instead of the PS2 Sunderer. At least it can make a turn and doesn't continuously want to topple out of control to either side like a drunken sailor and worse, explode when toppling over instead of continueing the roll or simply getting stuck upside down, slide and deconstructing eventually.

And the boring tanking where you constantly have to stand still (and the frustrating bit where you take hits because of that from strafing, non toppling, stably floating Magriders) and accelerate again, simply because you can't leave the leading to a gunner and can't even try making a strafing run on a group of enemies because you'll explode due to a threat that came out of nowhere, each time making you annoyed that there was nothing you could do about it.

And that despite of better third person than PS1 and faster rotating turrets than PS1 (so fast even, it's insane: there's no flanking gain by having speed because you can't outcircle an enemy in a dogfight).

Speaking of driving, the Fury in PS1 was another relief after a lot of frustration on the PS2 ATV where you always get sniped or HE shot before the ATV even takes damage, while you're able to maneuvre without making a continuous 540 out of control spin as you tried to take a small turn.

So that really does make me wonder, what is actually better and is it just the Prowler for you? Cause I don't really see the fun in driving in PS2. :/ It's a "meh" situational means to an end to me in PS2 and it was everything to me in PS1.

Also, where the *(@^$@*(#*@ is my 0-10-20-...-100% throttle control? All or nothing is really annoying.
No it's not the handling. The Sundy is horrible, it's like driving a beachball.

It's the driving and gunning, sorry. It's the slower pace I think, being tactical.

I have to admit, I thought I was quite a good driver in PS1 and I always thought that of the two, driver and gunner, it was the driver that needed the brains. But, I got bored driving a lot sooner than I got bored gunning.

I like the cat and mouse aspect and I admit I will camp towers and such as there's also someone willing to bet that a 9 mil beats 2 100 mils. But I repeat I don't like the infantry play in this game, so I do what I do like doing.

Maybe when bases are changed to provide more cover things will be different and there will be fewer infantry kills, but you know what I don't think they will. I think there are people who are suicidal lemmings and their natural tendencies will emerge no matter what the architecture.
Old 2013-06-02, 04:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-06-02, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Crator
Major General

Not much into tank driving, in either PS1 or PS2. The Sundy is a bit better to handle after you put some certs into it. The flash is ok and cheap (still hate the name though). I haven't tried the harasser yet. I miss the ES-buggies from PS1 though.

I enjoy the infantry play the most though.

Last edited by Crator; 2013-06-02 at 05:33 PM.
Old 2013-06-02, 06:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Figment
Lieutenant General

No it's not the handling. The Sundy is horrible, it's like driving a beachball.

It's the driving and gunning, sorry. It's the slower pace I think, being tactical.

I have to admit, I thought I was quite a good driver in PS1 and I always thought that of the two, driver and gunner, it was the driver that needed the brains. But, I got bored driving a lot sooner than I got bored gunning.

I like the cat and mouse aspect and I admit I will camp towers and such as there's also someone willing to bet that a 9 mil beats 2 100 mils. But I repeat I don't like the infantry play in this game, so I do what I do like doing.

Maybe when bases are changed to provide more cover things will be different and there will be fewer infantry kills, but you know what I don't think they will. I think there are people who are suicidal lemmings and their natural tendencies will emerge no matter what the architecture.
So you're not enjoying tanking then. You're enjoying mobile turreting, ie gunning.

EDIT: and I suppose the instant gratification that the farming provides. >.>

Last edited by Figment; 2013-06-02 at 06:23 PM.
Old 2013-06-02, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
BlaxicanX
Sergeant Major

Tanking is mobile turreting.

You're a a giant cannon on wheels.
Old 2013-06-02, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by BlaxicanX View Post
Tanking is mobile turreting.

You're a a giant cannon on wheels.
Relocating as stationary turret (mobile turreting, scoot and shoot), opposed to firing on the move.
Old 2013-06-02, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

I absolutely love driving the Mag. Burning over a ridge sideways, pulling off a mid air snapshot. Strafing and causing misses all over the place. Getting hate-tells and hax accusations from popping low flying aircraft and infantry with the FPC is what I live for.
I love that I can win nearly outright with superior positioning prior to engagements with other tanks. That it's about going between cover, keeping your weakpoint out of harms way.
I'm lucky that lots of my outfit is really good with the Sauron, too. It helps a lot. I dono how they can keep up with me bouncing all over the place.

The Lightning is hilariously fun when you get the tail out and start drifting around.

I also love driving the Harasser. So, you know, fuck all y'all?

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2013-06-02 at 07:38 PM.
Old 2013-06-02, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Prowler Anchored mode in Northern Indar, making those extremely long range shots, very satisfying for me.
Old 2013-06-02, 11:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
TheAadvark
Corporal

The Sundy is horrible, it's like driving a beachball.
For what is supposed to be an offroad military spec vehicle that too thousands of years in the future, this is unacceptable.
Old 2013-06-03, 03:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
So you're not enjoying tanking then. You're enjoying mobile turreting, ie gunning.

EDIT: and I suppose the instant gratification that the farming provides. >.>
Oh my tank moves occasionally

often backwards..........
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion