More BFR news soon, i hope - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wear gloves
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-09-10, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Phaden
Contributor
Major

More BFR news soon, i hope

Well a while ago they said every friday they would release a new document about them. I wonder what will be this week. After seeing the 2 videos aobut them, they look pretty sweet. Anyone have an idea what they will be releaseing this week, or if it will happen?
Old 2004-09-10, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Probably a mix of stuff this week. Maybe their various loadouts, maybe their rather unique component-specific damage system, maybe both. Or maybe nothing.
Old 2004-09-10, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
EarlyDawn
Major General

I agree, probably loadout information or damage system.
Old 2004-09-10, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

What really bugs me is that one of the TR weapon packages (looks like dual 75mm cannons) looks really ridiculous firing downward onto grunts. The barrel points downward at slightly below horizontal level and the shell comes out at like a 45 degree angle. It looks horrible so I hope they find a way to fix that
Old 2004-09-10, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
CMRath
Private

That's probably a problem with animation, not the shells' actual trajectory...

Jeez, it's been on the test for a day and no one but the devs have used them, but still we get cries for buffs
Old 2004-09-10, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Phaden
Contributor
Major

Hmm, im kinda wondering if its gonna make it up tonight or not. Its almost 8 EST, so im hoping!
Old 2004-09-11, 01:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Lise
Second Lieutenant

Evidently not. Hopefully, something will hit tomorrow.
Old 2004-09-13, 12:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Phaden
Contributor
Major

Ok, maybe we will see that doc today??

Also anyone who saw the video, or was there on the test, how did th shields work?? Are they like NC's where you have to not fire when they are on?? Or like Vehicle sheilds. And do they have to power up, and are they lmited? Can they be combined with Veh shields?
Old 2004-09-13, 03:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Phaden
Ok, maybe we will see that doc today??

Also anyone who saw the video, or was there on the test, how did th shields work?? Are they like NC's where you have to not fire when they are on?? Or like Vehicle sheilds. And do they have to power up, and are they lmited? Can they be combined with Veh shields?
When the developers were spawning the BFRs from scratch, they had shields. Not vehicle shields like from the module, but the built-in shield. The shields worked like the vehicle shields do, but I believe that while your shields are up, periodically the shield graphic flashes just to let everyone know. The shields are, of course, limited. Once they're taken out the BFRs can't take much more damage before they're destroyed. They're still pretty tough mind you, just probably not much tougher than a tank or so once the shields are down. They can probably be combined with vehicle shields, but I never actually piloted one, I just watched them fight for a while.
Old 2004-09-13, 03:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
EarlyDawn
Major General

Also note there's a glowing shield module on the back of the BFR that can be disabled with small-arms fire, although I didn't see much of that in the playtest. It was all just mass-damage tactics.

Also, I think the shields regenerate when drained if the module is still online.
Old 2004-09-13, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by EarlyDawn
Also note there's a glowing shield module on the back of the BFR that can be disabled with small-arms fire, although I didn't see much of that in the playtest. It was all just mass-damage tactics.

Also, I think the shields regenerate when drained if the module is still online.
Yeah, the generator is pretty small though. Taking it out is not going to be easy at all in pretty much any fight, as hitting it when the BFR is moving around will be a pain in the ass.
Old 2004-09-13, 04:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
EarlyDawn
Major General

That's true, but you've gotta figure that you won't always have massive hordes of troops and aircraft spilling fire into them like at the playtest.

I think the shield generator is going to be a necessary priority to take out in normal situations.
Old 2004-09-14, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Phaden
Contributor
Major

Ok, cool, Thanks for the info!

Well yesterday they promised a doc then or today at the latest. Any other cool things you can inform us of? Like do they explode big style like an AMS when they die? And did you see them fight tanks?? What type of hits did they do to them?? ANd instagib infantry?? MAxe's?
Old 2004-09-14, 03:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Queensidecastle
Contributor
Major

I think some of the best information we have are the various videos posted of them in action. For example, we know they get totally owned and dont seem to be able to kill anything w/o running over it
Old 2004-09-14, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Queensidecastle
I think some of the best information we have are the various videos posted of them in action. For example, we know they get totally owned and dont seem to be able to kill anything w/o running over it
They hardly ever fired their weapons though. I think their chief concern during that test was getting as much stuff being fired at these things as possible, and now and then firing off a few bursts, probably for some "in combat" shots of the BFRs. Really though, easily 90% of the time the BFRs were active, they were just walking around, being shot at.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion