Systems: E-Sport - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What does this button do?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 2.11 average. Display Modes
Old 2012-08-11, 05:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
AnamNantom
Master Sergeant

Re: E-Sport

I say no to factions playing sports. This is REAL war.

Inter-faction laser tag? ok!
Old 2012-08-11, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by AnamNantom View Post
I say no to factions playing sports. This is REAL war.

Inter-faction laser tag? ok!
Solely to counter your point and not for the sake of the repeated argument:

What do you think Russia and Allies were doing in 1945 in Europe? First to capture Berlin "OFFICIALY" won. A rude comparison, but it has to be done.
Or say bounty on some terrorists' heads, hm? Who kills him (first) gets a bonus...

The tag is always on.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-08-11 at 06:17 PM.
Old 2012-08-12, 12:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Salad Snake
Staff Sergeant

I like this idea. It's unorthodox, it may not work, but if it does.....oh man, I can see this being revolutionary to gaming, and competition in general. Instead of being in the crowd like a sporting event, you get to be a tiny part of the action. Could be the best thing since televised sports.
Old 2012-08-19, 11:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
DaClabe
Private

I would like to see how this works. Hopefully Higby figured something out.

But thinking realistically right now it can't work in this type of game. E-Sport teams consists of 1-6 players that travel to play at a venue.

Unless you have 1-6 leaders/commanders going to the venue and the rest of the team play from their homes. That would be the only way I see it working.
Old 2012-08-19, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Archonzero
Sergeant

read the post, eSports as in it's current format. Requires boundaries, which is where you get instanced 3v3,5v5,7v7 and 10v10 matchups. Sounds like an option that while I'm sure would have a % of players competing in, but should have absolutely nothing to do with the regular gameplay. Nor should the rewards offer up "gladiator/warlord" uber pvp gear that you can only attain via eSport ranking/success/points w/e.

Instanced pvp with many other open world pvp MMOs ended up killing off world pvp, created uber elitist jerkwads (not all) who were mostly to snobbish to actually contribute to their outfits or faction, outside of hooking up for venues that would get them the fancy things they needed, f'd off to their arena systems never to be heard of from again.

The idea, while entertaining for both viewer an players just sounds like a divisive element that can make unwanted waves.

MIND you, if it could also have a completely different take IF, say the eSport element was actually an athletic styled SPORT, rather than a small scale tactical matchup. Something like Pyramid, from Battlestar Galactica http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Pyramid_(RDM) or Rollerderby's where factions have their own league of teams that play off against each other for a top tier position. The top 3 Faction league teams then get put into a Playoff rivalry with the other 2 Factions top 3 teams for a championship title. This could build up faction based community pride knowing they've "Faction" champs in the field of battle alongside them.

On a final note though, I don't really care for the idea. If you want tactical Sci-Fi eSports, there's plenty of other games that fit that bill. Firefall, Global Agenda, Blacklight Retribution, just to name a few.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Idea Vault