New Rogue13ps post here, He tells us that Planetsides Collision detection system is - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Cyssor's full, go away
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-01-12, 08:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

New Rogue13ps post here, He tells us that Planetsides Collision detection system is

Author Topic: Collision Detection
QuantrilNight
Station Member

posted 01-10-2003 02:48 PM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll start by saying I did a search for this and only came up with a topic on warpgates. I'll continue by saying that this is just something that came to mind. I don't really know if it would matter one way or another in PS, but I am curious if anyhting has been said one way or another.
Collision detection (from now on refered to as CD) is often discussed in MMORPG's because there isn't a single battle that a good CD system wouldn't have altered the outcome of said battle. For those unfamiliar with the debate, it in it's simplist form, it is when two players come to a sudden halt when they run into each other, instead of passing through one another, which is the norm now. RPG's it should be vital because of the ability to keep enemies away from your healers and casters, but in an FPS, I can see how it's use would be limited. After all, most battles will take place with ranged weps, not melee.

But I can think of 3 scenarios where a good CD system would have an outcome on the battle.

1) You are in a stealth suit and have successfully snuck into an enemy base. As you are making your way down a narrow corridor, you see an enemy come around the corner towards you. With no CD, all you would have to do is stop and let the enemy walk through you, and then be on your way. With CD you would be detected the moment he bumped into you.

2) You are driving your buggy around the battle field and come across an enemy in standard armor, you decide to ram him and kill him. No problem, you should be able to run right over him. But what if it is an enemy in a MAX, I'm guessing that a buggy won't kill a MAX in one hit, so what would happen. No CD, you would pass through while doing damage, with CD you would come to a sudden hault. Coming to a halt like that would make you a sitting duck.

3) You are piloting one of several Galaxies toward an enemy base. The enemy has picked you up and are trying to bring you down, in desperation they kamakasi you with there Mosquito. Now even though a mosquito probably won't destroy a Galaxy, will it atleast stop it momentarily/slow it down and knock off course a bit, giving the guys on the ground a better shot at it with there anti air.

Like I said before, I don't really know how important a good CD system would be. But it could be the deciding factor in some battles. So curious, has anything really been said about this subject, or for that matter does anyone really care if CD is included.

Let the doubt be swept away!
rogue13ps
Station Member

posted 01-11-2003 10:42 AM user search report post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
planetside has full on collision detection. in fact, we have several types to help optimize the situation/resources depending if you are on foot or in a vehicle.
all shooters have to have some sort of collision detection. the game at the very least has to detect when a bullet hits a person or a wall.

http://boards.station.sony.com/ubb/p...ML/001451.html
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion