Flying vehicules controls - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Now causes 50% less pollution
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-02-10, 03:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Iceman
Corporal

Flying vehicules controls

I've been reading a whole lot about all this in the past few days, and am still unsure as to how the main controls of the flying vehicules works... especially when it comes time to take off and land.

I know of the E and C keys to ascend and descent... but its still automatic...as in you press C until the vehicule touchs the ground, so basically you can't really control whats going on, do low-pass drops or the like?

I'm mostly concerned about Galaxy Dropships . I mostly plan on being a DS pilot, but if i cannot actually control the bloody thing, its sort of disapointing, really.

Anyone can give more details on how the system works on that (more details then the E and C keys?). Is it possible to turn while landing, do a sweep&turn landing? Lowpass drop?

Thanks for any help!
Old 2003-02-10, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

I hope you like boating Gilligan, cause it's just like tribes.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-02-10, 07:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Derfud
Brigadier General

Misc Info

That kinda dissapoints me, in my opinion it would be much better if we could bank and turn like most planes do.
Old 2003-02-10, 07:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

It was funny when Dave giggled at the "boating" question during the shoutcast.

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-02-10, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
�io
Lieutenant General

I'm pretty sure you can do low flybys and such, the way Dave said E and C control vertical axis lead to believe that you can go up and down freely.
Old 2003-02-10, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Ludio
First Sergeant

It may be like tribes, but you can still become a good pilot and stand out from the crowd, just not as much as a more realistic flight model.

I was hoping for BF1942 myself, but they are VTOL aircraft.
Old 2003-02-10, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Denali
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Seems to me they might be ignoring a part of the game that might end up being the most fun and provide a tactical challenge. I would love to be a pilot if it felt like I was actually flying the ship, instead of scooting along a wire, it would leave room for amazing evasive manuvers and so on, especially if you could pull off stuff like that in a dropship
Old 2003-02-10, 10:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Kyonye
Contributor
General

the dropship is made to be slow and very shitty at mobility. the misquito and reaver show be able to arc and turn different ways.

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2003-02-10, 10:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Yuyi
Roxxor your Boxxorz

Ok i never played Tribes 2 so can someone tell me why it sucks so much? can you not turn very well or is it all strafing or what?
Old 2003-02-10, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Mopo
Contributor
Corporal

Just like tribes = GOOD.

Im so glad its not like BF1942.... And if it was, Id be outraged since the Reaver sure as hell is a propellar plane =)

Old 2003-02-10, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Nomikahn
Corporal

I wouldn't mind the same flying control as Tribes, and I have a feeling it is leaning towards that in some ways.
Tribes = Good
Bf1942 = Bad
Old 2003-02-10, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Kyonye
Contributor
General

BF42 has good controls considering you fly planes. a reaver is not a plane though, its more along the lines of a hover aircraft. can it strafe though?

<Smaug> omg kyonye is hot
Old 2003-02-10, 10:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
MrVulcan
Lieutenant Colonel

I do think that your right... I do not care for the flight in this game as much as I thought I would.... VTOL, alright, but RL chopers can still flip, and are as crazy as anything in what fancy stuff they can do.... Oh well... we will have to see.... Who knows, they might add a new fighter class that isnt a vtol? ya never know....
------------------------------
"All that and a bag of psychedelic mushrooms!"
------------------------------
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tire, more hungry. Keep punching."
Old 2003-02-10, 11:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Nomikahn
Corporal

Im mostly just hopeing the vehicles don't come out looking like BlackHawk Down's. I played beta for that, and all the aircraft would skip from place to place, leaving everyone in it, in the middle of nowhere until it decided to warp them back into the aircraft
Old 2003-02-10, 11:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Iceman
Corporal

well i do understand the position of lag. Having vehicules in a MMO FPS game is suicide. If they can pull a good netcode, it'll do fine, else... it'll be hell. Period.

As for flying vehicules, thinking the netcode is good, i find its too bad they didn't bother doing a more 'complex' fly system, so that people who want to become pilots be able to do so and become good at it. Using Beps to 'upgrade' their character's skills to better maneuver those vehicules and so on... Maybe in the futur.

I mean, if they decided to include flyable (controlable) vehicules, it would be nice to be able to actually perform in that aspect of the game. As goes for ground vehicules and maybe 'underwater' vehicules as well (later on). IMO Making it simple because its not the 'main' aspect (being grunt work) of the game is wrong. It should be well made so that not everyone can do it, but that people working on it (spending extra time in VR training to better themselves) can accomplish feats with it.

PlanetSide reminds me of a mix of WWII and Vietnam Era wars. Lots of grunt work and some good vehicule support. Vietnam would not've been the same without the famous Huey helicopter, and without good and dedicated pilots, it just would not have worked. As for WWII... damn those german and italian tanks were though... well camoflaged too.

So anyways... this is just a forum (hopefully read by the dev team) and they will have their opinion to share about this.
But i consider this game so large that to make the best of it, there as to be enought possibilities. The more 'specific' work is possible, the more teamplay there will be. If everyone can buy the Galaxy class.. whats the big deal... everyone will start flying around in their own private planes and stuff... spawning a galaxy and a tank, go into enemy territory and dump the galaxy and blaze with the tank...

Of course, thats just the way i c things...

Also, why the hell is the drop ship so 'hard' to handle? Where's the good'ol Aliens Dropship? it can carry a shitload of people and a tank... + it looks damn cool

note: I'm not bitching... just observing - comments are welcomed.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion