New player? Share your experience. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Computer Required.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2013-05-21, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Qwan
Captain

Re: New player? Share your experience.

After reading about Brewko, I guess logging in and hitting the newbs with an orbital strike is a bad idea to.
Old 2013-05-21, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
vieric
Private

Personally, I'm pretty sure he meant well, but I agree, it would be a very good idea to keep a fairly hands-off approach for a bit, let the new blood settle in (myself included). This game throws newbies enough curve-balls as it is, don't need a GM adding more to the mix.
Old 2013-05-21, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by vieric View Post
Personally, I'm pretty sure he meant well, but I agree, it would be a very good idea to keep a fairly hands-off approach for a bit, let the new blood settle in (myself included). This game throws newbies enough curve-balls as it is, don't need a GM adding more to the mix.
In his defense though, the game has had points where literally zero people are playing. So he probably was a bit excited the servers had life again.
Old 2013-05-21, 01:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Shogun
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
In his defense though, the game has had points where literally zero people are playing. So he probably was a bit excited the servers had life again.
now i imagine a lonely brewko gm sitting on auraxis, playing with his feet, singing sad sad songs while he waits 8 hours a day to solve someone´s problems... for months...
ok, it is no surprise he did the magic show when he saw a horde of players rushing in on him!

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-21, 02:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Wahooo
Captain

BO are never a good idea... like ever.
Old 2013-05-21, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Some other things I'd like to hear the new player opinions on:

- Emersiveness (menu's as pop ups rather than taking you out of the game and things like certification point spending being tied directly to consoles in the game)
Eh, I don't know...
Menus are kind of annoying to constantly need to tab out and reposition just to read, but with third person view it is rather preferable to a single pop-up that leaves you a sitting duck.

I don't mind Certifications needing a Terminal to learn, but is there any way to check unlearned Certs without heading to one?
Kind of annoying to head all the way back to the Sanctuary or whatever specific Facility has them just to check what I could get.

- Consistently present chatwindow / killspam combi
Meh, I found the chat controls rather clunky, but that might just be me dealing with its old interface.

- Having to repair and heal one another instead of automatic regeneration
Uh, Figment, aren't you forgetting Medical Terminals?

- TTK comparison
Honestly... Not that much higher from my experience.

Yeah, it's a bit slower due to the hit-scan random nature of weapons, but I was still getting gibbed in about the same encounter speed.

- Tension and adrenaline rushes experienced
Way more exciting by far!
I don't know if it's the threat of Instant Re-secures, or the fact that bases actually have segregated Interiors allowing a few Infantry inside to actually be a real problem.

- How downtime feels
With the higher levels of excitement downtime is actually a welcomed break to allow one to recover.
The much wider, stabler Front Lines also allow for this to happen naturally after an assault has been repelled, greatly reducing player fatigue.

Seriously, I played from sometime late yesterday afternoon till 9 this morning!

Admittedly that could just riding a new game buzz, but it does help that a base isn't going to immediately going to flip control just after you spend an hour defending it.

- Travel time and preparation time
Travel on foot is a bit of a slog, but it does help sell the vastness of the play area.

I can understand why the Vets complain about Planetside 2 being so cramped, the Original Continents feel about 50% larger in comparison to the Player Character.

Prep time is all right considering you actually have an Inventory to Manage rather then various alterations and attachments of the same things.

Do like stocking the Trunk of whatever I'm driving with extra ammo, so when I lone wolf and leave my ATV lying about someone can get into it to resupply.

- Combat Engineering (minefields, turrets, etc)
Haven't gotten to the point where I could use it, but DAMNED is it nice to see effective CE.

Minefields are actually FIELDS, I think you can cover the huge gate of a Base with two rows, and you can put up TANK TRAPS to create a funnel!
Automated Base Defensive and Spitfires are also great, they make an empty base actually have some challenge to approach instead of just going around capping in a Vehicle.

...Also, DOORS ARE AWESOME!!!

Why do we not have hackable door shields to, you know, keep people from just waltzing into bases?

- Tutorials (have you managed to find them in game? -> character pop up: training missions)
Someone in Command was kind enough to repeatedly mention them in the TR Chat, and it certainly helps considering how much different and various the controls are here.

Alternate fire modes that actually do something Different are WAY better then needing to constantly switch between two barrels on the same weapon.

- SOI restricting drop pods (HART building in Sanc) vs Spawn Beacons in PS2
Very much welcomed honestly...
It's nice that an Attacker can't just land an entire squad within your walls, because then the walls can actually be useful instead of eye candy.
Old 2013-05-21, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by CrazEpharmacist View Post
I think the meteorite showers are really cool. First time I saw that happen a few months ago my mind was kind of blown LOL. Had no idea GM's could do things like that. It happened a few times yesterday as well but people were calling out in broadcast chat to stay in inside for a few minutes. Though I could see how the BO event could get annoying. You're just fighting against someone who has more health and amour than you.
I also saw a Meteorite shower, and yeah it is pretty cool...
I don't know if it was because I wasn't directly under it, but they didn't seem to be too hard to dodge as long as you were looking.

Black Ops though...
Yeah, you really shouldn't run an entire squad right now.

One or two at a big battle maybe, but more then that is just too much for BR6's like me...
Old 2013-05-21, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Huntsab
Sergeant

Good to see the PS2 player base enjoying Planetside. PS2 could have been such a monumental game if it had kept the spirit of old. Instead of stripping features they should have improved on what was there already and introduced more. With you new guys here perhaps you could let Brewko and the rest of the devs know how you feel about playing the original. What floats your boat etc.
Old 2013-05-21, 05:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
bullet
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
I don't mind Certifications needing a Terminal to learn, but is there any way to check unlearned Certs without heading to one?
Kind of annoying to head all the way back to the Sanctuary or whatever specific Facility has them just to check what I could get.
Biolabs have a room near the control console that have Cert Terminals and Implant machines (or whatever they're actually called...).
Old 2013-05-21, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Figment
Lieutenant General

Bio Room, near CC of bio Lab. And you can see the things you have certed in the character pop up.

Meant automatic regeneration of shields there. Medical Terminals are a bit of a situational thing and needed for those without anything to heal (aside from switching suits and medkits, available at equip terms).
Old 2013-05-21, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Chewy
Major

So I take BO was the reason I seen so many TR MAXes and MCG users in what looked like heavy armor, who all seemed had medic and repair guns?

Played as a pub against them and didn't do that bad. What mass of NC was in the area had a nice tug of war with them. Retook the cap point 2-3 times but ended with loosing the base. Not bad for my first PS1 fight. But I do have to question a lot of what I saw. Things like when I can get taken out rather fast but can't do the same or that I couldn't find a way to make turning as a gunner faster but seen just about everyone else look around at will.
Old 2013-05-21, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Ghodere
Corporal

Combat engineering is the most fantastic thing. Gunplay is not that horrible, third person infantry is, Prowler seems weak for requiring 3 people to operate at full effectiveness. Single button press for a loadout is a small thing but so wonderful. Long distances between some bases and towers having no ground spawn capabilities means no vehicle spam, at all, really, and even then they can at best take the courtyard.

TTK reveals itself as meaningfully longer mainly at range. AA extremely powerful, but largely deserved for effort required (skyguard and upgraded base turret). Back to playing.
Old 2013-05-21, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

I've been playing for a few months already but I just want to say a few things. Probably one of the neatest features in PS1 is saved positioning even after you log off. Makes the game feel like a real persistent MMO. Compare this to PS2 where you always start off in your warpgate, almost making it feel like a standard bf or COD match. In PS1 it actually keeps track of your position and will even move you to the nearest friendly spawn tubes if you're territory you were in was taken by the enemy. Makes base progression all that more meaningful.
Old 2013-05-21, 07:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
zeropositivo
Private

Mind I drop in for a little thing I've discovered? Infiltration is FUN. Seriously, get that infil suit and try for yourself. I'm going around with that spiker 10 mm pistol, choosing targets that look wounded, standing still when in sight, moving and killing when an opening arrives... it's deadly AND effective!

And i can't wait to get the advanced hacking tools now. Wow

It IS weird, tho, that sometimes people still see me even when not moving/shooting. In third person, I look completely invisible...
Old 2013-05-21, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by zeropositivo View Post
Mind I drop in for a little thing I've discovered? Infiltration is FUN. Seriously, get that infil suit and try for yourself. I'm going around with that spiker 10 mm pistol, choosing targets that look wounded, standing still when in sight, moving and killing when an opening arrives... it's deadly AND effective!

And i can't wait to get the advanced hacking tools now. Wow

It IS weird, tho, that sometimes people still see me even when not moving/shooting. In third person, I look completely invisible...
Couple things.

First, there has always been gamma problems with infils and certain people can simply change their settings and be able to see you. it's lame, yes.

Also, cr5 players have a "reveal enemies" they can use so if you happen to be infiltrating a remote area, they will have a general position on you. It has a fairly long cool down, but could also be the reason they "see" you.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion