Please Sign this PS1 Free-to-Play Petition! - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: your Karma ran over my Dogma
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2012-12-21, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Please Sign this PS1 Free-to-Play Petition!

Just created it. Please, if you care about the original at all, sign this. So many of us are waiting to have PS1 battles again.

http://www.change.org/petitions/sony...nthly-charge-2
Old 2012-12-21, 09:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
J Baley
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

Re: Please Sign this PS1 Free-to-Play Petition!

This probably isn't the best way to go about this. I am not entering in all my personal info to vote. Sorry. But I do want PS1 to go Free to Play. I miss it.
Old 2012-12-21, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Beerbeer
Major

Makes you wonder about them not putting this game to free to play like they said they would. I guess they know ps2 pops would shrink even more.

Lot of prideful people at Sony.

Lets bury our heads in the sand and blame everyone except ourselves. I know the M.O.

Last edited by Beerbeer; 2012-12-21 at 09:14 PM.
Old 2012-12-21, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

"The $15 monthly charge is currently barring many of us from doing that. We feel the charge is not justified for an almost ten year old game."

And this is exactly the reason why it should be shut down, once and for all.

There is no money to be made with PS1 in its current state. The game would need a lot of work to fix the engine up to work well with newer systems, and also deal with the cheater problem we had for years.

There is no quick way to do that. It would require a lot of work. More work means more cash needed, means you need more players. But the players dont want to pay it seems, heck they dont want to pay 15 bucks a month.

On top of that: Did any of you guys ever think about HOW to make PS1 F2P? How to monetize it? What to sell?

Planetside is dead. It died the day we abadoned it. To ressurect it, online petitions wont help. You have to vote with your wallet, resubscribe to it, and play it. Thats the only way to tell Smed that PS1 is still alive, and needs some attention.
I wont be there tho. PS1 is superior to Planetside 2 in its Metagame, but that will change in the future.
Old 2012-12-21, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Nick
Corporal

Please make PS1 F2P, SOE. Give back to the fans that helped make your new game such a success.
Old 2012-12-21, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by basti View Post
"The $15 monthly charge is currently barring many of us from doing that. We feel the charge is not justified for an almost ten year old game."

And this is exactly the reason why it should be shut down, once and for all.

There is no money to be made with PS1 in its current state. The game would need a lot of work to fix the engine up to work well with newer systems, and also deal with the cheater problem we had for years.

There is no quick way to do that. It would require a lot of work. More work means more cash needed, means you need more players. But the players dont want to pay it seems, heck they dont want to pay 15 bucks a month.

On top of that: Did any of you guys ever think about HOW to make PS1 F2P? How to monetize it? What to sell?

Planetside is dead. It died the day we abadoned it. To ressurect it, online petitions wont help. You have to vote with your wallet, resubscribe to it, and play it. Thats the only way to tell Smed that PS1 is still alive, and needs some attention.
I wont be there tho. PS1 is superior to Planetside 2 in its Metagame, but that will change in the future.
We don't want them to update the game. Its fine as is. A gem, actually.

And the petition offers a way to monetize it if SOE is that greedy (even though they already stated that Gemini costs almost nothing to run): put back reserves, up the BR that it allows, and charge $5 a month for the game. Require a credit card even for reserves to deter hackers. Simple, no-brain solution.

Last edited by MasterChief096; 2012-12-21 at 09:26 PM.
Old 2012-12-21, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by J Baley View Post
This probably isn't the best way to go about this. I am not entering in all my personal info to vote. Sorry. But I do want PS1 to go Free to Play. I miss it.
You don't have to. Just put in fake info if it bothers you that much. I created the petition and my full info and link to facebook account is listed. Can't really convince if you that doesn't.
Old 2012-12-21, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Beerbeer View Post
Lot of prideful people at Sony.

Lets bury our heads in the sand and blame everyone except ourselves. I know the M.O.
I declare you to be the new EVILoHOMER. Here is your celebratory Eeyore tail. Godspeed.
Old 2012-12-21, 10:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Beerbeer
Major

Thanks.
Old 2012-12-22, 05:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
CrazEpharmacist
Staff Sergeant

That was very well written. I signed.

Hopefully Smedly will see this. You should make a post on the official PS2 forums. You'll get more signatures.
Old 2012-12-22, 06:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

literally signed.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2012-12-22, 07:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
MuNrOe
Private

Signed
Old 2012-12-22, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Crator
Major General

/signed
Old 2012-12-22, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
We don't want them to update the game. Its fine as is. A gem, actually.

ITs fine as it is?

Get PLAY the game and tell me that again.

Newer PCs have massive problems with PS1. Some cant run it at all, others only get 20 FPS max. If that doesnt get fixed, you wont get big fights. In fact you wont get anyone playing.

Originally Posted by MasterChief096 View Post
And the petition offers a way to monetize it if SOE is that greedy (even though they already stated that Gemini costs almost nothing to run): put back reserves, up the BR that it allows, and charge $5 a month for the game. Require a credit card even for reserves to deter hackers. Simple, no-brain solution.

A crapload of people dont have a Credit card, means you put them out of the equation completly. Plenty of others dont want to put in their details just to play for free, and SOE surley doesnt want to go down that road.
But most important, it archives nothing. You get rid of the super balant hackers that way, but the usual ROF COF crowd that was there for years will once again still be around, as they were even around when we had no reserves and no trials.
What saddens me is that we had this exact discussion about Credit cards not just once, but literally dozens of times on Forumside. Every time we came to the same conclusion that it doesnt do any good, but just makes it harder to legit players to get into the game. Yet its coming up every now and then again.

So, in the end, you would revive a broken game, just to see it completly teared apart by hackers. SOE would just get a bad rep, and we all just lost, as we still dont have the game we want.

So, instead of wasting time with an old, broken game, let it rest. It is over, Planetside 1 is gone. It will not come back.

Chill, play something else, and help push Planetside 2 into the right direction.
Planetside gave us all a lot of good memories, thats why we are here. But those memorys cant be recreated. The game is gone, and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
Old 2012-12-22, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Crator
Major General

We do have proof that barrier to entry (currently CC) cuts back on exploiters. We're talking about blatant exploiting, predominantly wall and speed hacks that affected everyone playing. This was apparent when PS1 had the reserves program then shut it down due to blatant exploiting.

But I also agree that it does limit the player base. Not certain what else could be done other then active mods watching and responding as they do in PS2 currently.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion