Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch. - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't hate me because i'm slow
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: 9sanc v 3sanc
3 empire footholds per continent 33 23.24%
1 empire foothold per continent 109 76.76%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 2012-03-28, 03:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.


Originally Posted by acosmo View Post
yeah it makes sense except for the part where PS2 is F2P
Just because the base game is free doesn't mean that they can't foolishly divide the player base by selling new continents. >_>
Talek Krell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
Vancha
Colonel
 
Vancha's Avatar
 
Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.


Paid-for continents is a terrible idea.
Vancha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 04:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
Raymac
Brigadier General
 
Raymac's Avatar
 
Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.


Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Paid-for continents is a terrible idea.
Well every mmo now has expansions that you pay for. That could still completely work in a f2p situation.
__________________
"Before you say anything, prepare to stfu." -Kenny F-ing Powers

Raymac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major
 
Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.


It's good to know my posts can still rub people all sorts of ways, which usually means they know deep down that I'm actually speaking the truth. Planetside 2 is NOT Planetside 1, or have ALL of the differences between the two not clued some people in to that fact yet? Yet here we are, discussing why yet another facet of Planetside 2 isn't exactly like it was in Planetside 1...

As for paid-for DLC continents, I feel they would needlessly separate and thin the populations, harming the game over all. Consider Core-Combat's caves... only players that purchased the expansion pack initially had access to the caves, and then the overworld and the caves were sporting split populations, artificially lowering the number of players available for both. We don't want this in Planetside 2. I'd prefer to let SOE sell uber tanks with real life cash than demand players spend money to fight on a new landmass.
__________________
"Affirmitive, Raven's Nest, we have boots on the ground! I repeat!

We. Are. Planetside!"
EASyEightyEight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator
 
Goku's Avatar
 
Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.


Paid for continents fragments the playerbase too much for it to be viable. I don't want to see certain players barred from playing due to not owning the map. Depending o the growth of this game there may have to be more maps put in to support it anyway.
Goku is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
Raymac
Brigadier General
 
Raymac's Avatar
 
Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.


Originally Posted by EASyEightyEight View Post
It's good to know my posts can still rub people all sorts of ways, which usually means they know deep down that I'm actually speaking the truth. Planetside 2 is NOT Planetside 1, or have ALL of the differences between the two not clued some people in to that fact yet? Yet here we are, discussing why yet another facet of Planetside 2 isn't exactly like it was in Planetside 1...

As for paid-for DLC continents, I feel they would needlessly separate and thin the populations, harming the game over all. Consider Core-Combat's caves... only players that purchased the expansion pack initially had access to the caves, and then the overworld and the caves were sporting split populations, artificially lowering the number of players available for both. We don't want this in Planetside 2. I'd prefer to let SOE sell uber tanks with real life cash than demand players spend money to fight on a new landmass.
Not meaning to rip on you too hard here, but the first part of your post is lecturing about not equating PS1 to PS2, and then you spend the 2nd part basing your argument on PS1 populations numbers. You should take your own advice. Ideally there will be plenty of players for more continents.

Also, isn't "spending money for a new landmass" how every MMO expansion works? Granted it's not an mmorpg like where you normally see this, but I don't think it's far fetched to say it will still work. I mean technically adding any continents will "split the population". It's not like all the fights are only going to happen on the new continents leaving all the "poor kids" in the dust.
__________________
"Before you say anything, prepare to stfu." -Kenny F-ing Powers

Raymac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major
 
Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.


We're nitpicknig to be nitpicking for the sake of making me look like a hypocrit. Maybe I am, or maybe we just can not fathom the purpose of bringing up the issue of caves in PS1 as x-pack exclusive material to relate to instead of risking using another game, like say MAG, as an example where maps are exclusive to people whom have paid for them and because only those whom paid got to play on them, they were rarely ever played because participation numbers were simply too low.

Yes, people WILL pay for the new content, the issue however is it practical to the intent of the game? Will enough pay for the new content for it to be as fun as the mainlands?

MOST games with DLC/x-packs, particularly MMO's concerning our common interest, aren't strictly PvP based. If most people don't pick up the expansion, there are still PvE mobs to slay and goodies of all varieties to collect. Planetside is different in that it lives and dies on its populations for the most part. Will x-pack exclusive continents kill Planetside 2? No. But I feel it's an unnecessary impediment to the core of the game: lots of people fighting lots of people fighting lots of people, and at no time should those numbers be divided by the almighty dollar.
__________________
"Affirmitive, Raven's Nest, we have boots on the ground! I repeat!

We. Are. Planetside!"

Last edited by EASyEightyEight; 2012-03-28 at 04:34 PM.
EASyEightyEight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
acosmo
Sergeant Major
 
acosmo's Avatar
 
Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.


Originally Posted by EASyEightyEight View Post
at no time should those numbers be divided by the almighty dollar.
only united, amirite?
acosmo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 04:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major
 
Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.


Originally Posted by acosmo View Post
only united, amirite?
Only united as long as they're fighting for the Republic

Otherwise they're all cannon fodder, and I got a lot of bullets.
__________________
"Affirmitive, Raven's Nest, we have boots on the ground! I repeat!

We. Are. Planetside!"
EASyEightyEight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 04:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
Raymac
Brigadier General
 
Raymac's Avatar
 
Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.


Originally Posted by EASyEightyEight View Post
We're nitpicknig to be nitpicking for the sake of making me look like a hypocrit. Maybe I am, or maybe we just can not fathom the purpose of bringing up the issue of caves in PS1 as x-pack exclusive material to relate to instead of risking using another game, like say MAG, as an example where maps are exclusive to people whom have paid for them and because only those whom paid got to play on them, they were rarely ever played because participation numbers were simply too low.

Yes, people WILL pay for the new content, the issue however is it practical to the intent of the game? Will enough pay for the new content for it to be as fun as the mainlands?

MOST games with DLC/x-packs, particularly MMO's concerning our common interest, aren't strictly PvP based. If most people don't pick up the expansion, there are still PvE mobs to slay and goodies of all varieties to collect. Planetside is different in that it lives and dies on its populations for the most part. Will x-pack exclusive continents kill Planetside 2? No. But I feel it's an unnecessary impediment to the core of the game: lots of people fighting lots of people fighting lots of people, and at no time should those numbers be divided by the almighty dollar.
Yeah, I didn't mean to nitpick, so I'm sorry. The point I was really trying to make is that the populations for PS2 might be high enough to where we don't see a significant drop off.

Also, while Core Combat is probably the best parallel we have to buying DLC continents I don't think it is an exact comparison. I mean, I for one didn't play down in the caves because I thought they were lame.

While I hate to see situations where the game would be split between the haves and the have nots, paying for DLC is something I'm used to in both mmos and in area shooters like BF and COD. Neither of those compare directly to Planetside, but it may still work. If not, they could always open up the DLC content to everyone else after a few months so you'd only really be paying for early access to them.

Also, we need to keep in mind that this is just us talking. I don't think the devs have even hinted at paying for additional continents.
__________________
"Before you say anything, prepare to stfu." -Kenny F-ing Powers

Raymac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major
 
Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.


This is true, I apologize for coming off too harsh. Best case scenario is that PS2 pops will be ridiculously high, especially being an F2P and a more unique FPS among FPS' simply for the scale of everything in PS2.

All I'm saying is: if I were in charge, I'd never ask people to pay for the privilege to fight on a new landmass. Maybe to unlock exclusive certs, or even access to weapons, also typical expansion features, but I wouldn't want to keep people from going to area X for any reason within my control.
__________________
"Affirmitive, Raven's Nest, we have boots on the ground! I repeat!

We. Are. Planetside!"
EASyEightyEight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #117
Khellendros
Staff Sergeant
 
Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.


Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
No it is not a separate problem. It is an essential flaw with the idea. And it CAN'T happen with a foothold because while you can get pushed back to your foothold, you can't get booted from the continent and in turn, the server.
Ok, maybe I misunderstood something in the discussion because I thought the argument was between having 3 footholds per continent to having 1 foothold per empire globally. Is my understanding correct?
__________________

Khellendros - Lib Commando Extraordinaire
Squad Leader
Khellendros is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
Raymac
Brigadier General
 
Raymac's Avatar
 
Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.


Originally Posted by Khellendros View Post
Ok, maybe I misunderstood something in the discussion because I thought the argument was between having 3 footholds per continent to having 1 foothold per empire globally. Is my understanding correct?
No you are understanding correctly. Imagine though your "home" continent is pop-locked and then you are pushed off another continent. Without a spawn point on each continent, you can get booted out of the game altogether. That's part of the reason why each empire needs to have an uncapturable spawn point on each continent. Otherwise you can get booted not just off the continent but off the server, which obviously would suck royally.
__________________
"Before you say anything, prepare to stfu." -Kenny F-ing Powers

Raymac is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
Destroyeron
Troll x2
 
Destroyeron's Avatar
 
Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.


Originally Posted by EASyEightyEight View Post
. I'd prefer to let SOE sell uber tanks with real life cash than demand players spend money to fight on a new landmass.
Fuck. That.

The second every spoiled preteen with access to daddies credit card gets to destroy me, I'm done.
__________________
Destroyeron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-28, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #120
Khellendros
Staff Sergeant
 
Re: Confirmed: 9 Sanctuaries at launch.


Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
No you are understanding correctly. Imagine though your "home" continent is pop-locked and then you are pushed off another continent. Without a spawn point on each continent, you can get booted out of the game altogether. That's part of the reason why each empire needs to have an uncapturable spawn point on each continent. Otherwise you can get booted not just off the continent but off the server, which obviously would suck royally.
But what if all 3 conts are pop locked? Same problem, it is not unique to the single foothold.
__________________

Khellendros - Lib Commando Extraordinaire
Squad Leader
Khellendros is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Bookmarks

Discord

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.

Content © 2002-2013, PlanetSide-Universe.com, All rights reserved.
PlanetSide and the SOE logo are registered trademarks of Sony Online Entertainment Inc. © 2004 Sony Online Entertainment Inc. All rights reserved.
All other trademarks or tradenames are properties of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.