Need Help Installing MB - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: NEWS FLASH! Sigbot is Hamma's blender!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2004-03-25, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Vitter
Sergeant

Need Help Installing MB

Ok, so I got all my new PC parts and i'm putting them together. The new parts are the motherboard, processor, and RAM. The parts I already had are the CD-ROM, hard drive, video and sound card, power supply, and case.

All the parts I said were old were already in the PC.

I put in the ram chips (dual channel, i made sure they were in the right spot) and the processor (chip went in smooth and it's clamped tight). After that, I screwed in the MB (Asus P4C800-E Deluxe). From there I inserted the video card (Radeon 9800 pro) and sound card (SB Audigy).

At this point I started plugging everything in.

Power supply fan - check
Processor heatsink fan - check
Video card power - check
Jumpers - check
Little thingys that say "HDD LED, Power SW, Reset SW, Speaker, Power LED" - check

After all that I attached the ribbon to the CD/ROM and attached it to the MB. Then I attached the ribbon to the hard drive and plugged it into the MB.

I started up my PC. It started booting but when it got to the part where it was checking for an IDE device it said something about "IDE", "Fast Track", and my Bios.

My father in law (who's helping me) said maybe we should put the hard drive ribbon into the RAID slot. We did that and it's recognized but no matter what we do we keep getting that sentence about IDE, Fast Track, and the Bios.

Does anyone know what we should do?

One thing I think I should put is that my last MB got fried and so I had no chance to wipe the Hard Drive.
Old 2004-03-25, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

So it boots up and goes to the Bios Automaticaly after coming up to that message?

I Would put it in the normal Slots, the primary controller that is, the one next to the ram slots.

make sure you have the HD set to master, can you give me the type of HD?

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-03-25, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Vitter
Sergeant

Ok, i'm out in the shop now so let me write specifics. Bold text denotes what the computer says.

Currently the MB is hooked up into the IDE Connector located next to the ATX Power Connector.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I push the power button. First comes a screen with my MB's logo. Then comes a screen that says

FastTrack 378 (tm) Bios Version 1.00.0.37
2003 Promising Technology Inc
Scaning IDE drives...

At this point the "Scanning IDE drives" part starts ticking away periods. The screen then says:

No Drive attached to FastTrack controller, the BIOS is not installed.

After a few seconds the screen goes away and a new one comes up saying:

Reboot and select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I hit delete at the intial MB logo screen to go to setup it takes me into Bios. In Bios it says that:

Primary IDE Master [WDC WD1200JB-00CRA]
Secondary IDE Master [LITE-ON LTR-48125W]
Secondary IDE Slave [LITEON DVD-ROM LT]

If I put the Hard Drive ribbon down into the RAID Ultra ATA133 connector instead of the IDE Connector then I get a message telling me to press cntrl-f to go to FastTrack.

At this screen (which looks like a BIOS screen) it has a title of "FastBuild (tm) Utility 2.01 (c)"
There are options talking about Arrays. The options are

Auto Setup
View Drive Assignments
Define Array
Delete Array
Rebuild Array

If anyone has any ideas. I'd appreciate it.
Old 2004-03-25, 10:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

don't use the RAid contraller for a single drive use the standard IDE Plugs

Make sure you have your HD set in the boot order(in the bios) correctly

Is windows installed on it?

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2004-03-26, 04:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Ait'al
Contributor
General

Do they stil have settings to auto detect the settings. Check the startup thing for a place to put in the hardrive specifics. And see if theres an auto detect thing.

I have the same board and will be able to tell you specifically how it works on like when my PSU gets here. I can put an old IDE harddrive in since im using an SATA raid setup.

Reboot and select proper Boot device
or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key
It looks like a new way of saying the old "you dont have an operating system msg and put in a boot disk in A:\"(but in this case because it cant read the hardrive yet to use the preexisting software). If you had an operating system on the HDD you wont need to reformat if it worked before and its fully recognizing the HDD. In the part where it said the Hard drive was in the primary slot look for something that lets you select its setting, and put in the info it asks for or try to find an auto detect for it then save and reboot. If the auto doesnt work the info will be on the drives top or in its manual.

That thing where its asking for media is just saying it doesnt have an operating system because it cant access the harddrive completely yet. The bios needs the complete info for the drive to use it. Then if you had an operating sytem it will be able to use the one already on it.

(Sorry if this is a little incoherent. My brains fried right now.)

Last edited by Ait'al; 2004-03-26 at 04:52 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum