AGN: Now that we’re about to get darker nights, what do you all think about that? RC CQ 59 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's whats for Snacks!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-11-10, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Deringer
ReachCast Show

Question Now that we’re about to get darker nights, what do you all think about that? RC CQ 59

This weeks question is ...

“Now that we’re about to get darker nights, what do you all think about that?”

As always, respond here or e-mail us at [email protected] or call us at (415)787-3224!
Old 2013-11-10, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Now that we’re about to get darker nights, what do you all think about that? RC C

Originally Posted by Deringer View Post
This weeks question is ...

“Now that we’re about to get darker nights, what do you all think about that?”

As always, respond here or e-mail us at [email protected] or call us at (415)787-3224!
This shit is gonna be mother fucking awesome!

"The vanu mostly only come out at night...mostly"

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-11-10, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Hirvox
Private

Misc Info
Re: Now that we’re about to get darker nights, what do you all think about that? RC C

I'm all for it, even without buffs to the flashlight and other light sources. The darker night alone amplifies the tension in a good fight, because you cannot ever be quite sure that there aren't any enemies lurking around. And when you're the one doing the lurking, you can experience the unique mixture of panic and exhilaration when you narrowly outwit an entire squad of enemies.

Plus a fight with tracers, lumifiber and the red glares of rockets everywhere simply looks cool.
Old 2013-11-10, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

From what I understood we won't be seeing darker nights until they add in more content to complement it.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-11-10, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
From what I understood we won't be seeing darker nights until they add in more content to complement it.
^

wonder what i do, i hope it isn't just "here, have this unlimited lasting NV goggles, so we can make the flashlight even more useless and laughable than it already is!

i haven't checked test in a while, but aren't nights darker by like a fraction on test? or is it like beta night? because from the videos i saw, i want THAT type of night.
Old 2013-11-10, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Night as of now doesn't mean much beyond slightly flashier tracer fire, I can still see pretty much everything just as fine as if it were day with the exception of a few appropriate Camo's.

I like to think about Night in PS2 from both the perspective of a Support player and a Stealth player.

In the absence of weather events, a Night time that actually conceals enemy movement in its entirety and pretty much is what Night should be, I think is a much needed diversity in the environments.

I want night to be added so that Stealth will mean something more then it does now, I want night so that I can feel surprised when someone can successfully sneak a force unseen or inturn the thrill of doing the same thing to the enemy.

Without the tools I'm okay with Night being added, I can make do with HS/NV, Thermal, Night Vision Optics and Headlights or Flashlights, or make better use out of Scout/Proximity Radar.

Some tools I'd like to see added into the game not just to make it easier for those pitch-black night fights but to also add greater diversity in tools for Support players is...

*Search Light Turret Attachment optics for Vehicle Turrets

*Default Search Lights on base-defense turrets

*Flare Guns or Thrown Glow sticks that illuminate a moderately sized area for a short duration

*A extra rail slot for Infantry Weapons to accommodate the use of a Flash Light

*Landing Lights on Aircraft Landing Pads

*Deployable Engineer Search Lights

Lighting up aircraft and enemy movements in general with flood lights would be a pretty awesome sight IMO

Besides all of this something else that's a pet-peeve of mine that i'd like to see removed, but might be up for debate is the Ammo Sunderer Holo-Icon. If Night time comes then that big glowing Holo Ammo Icon will ruin night for Ammo Sundies.

I think the carried ammo stuff model is all that's needed to tell it's a ammo Sunderer or if not then just enlarge those models and make the Sunderer really stand out like it's really carrying heavy cargo without giving it away at night, We don't need a flashing neon-sign in the dark...

TL/DR I want darker night, If we don't have Night behave like Night, whats the point of a day/night cycle other then a drop in FPS? These are a few items I'd like to see be considered and added into the game to compliment the night fights.

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2013-11-10 at 03:21 PM.
Old 2013-11-10, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Chewy
Major

The entire night isn't going to be dark, just the times when the main moon isn't in the sky then when it is it should be about what we have now maybe tented a bit. So dark parts are going to be as night comes and when it ends. So it goes day, dark, moon light, dark, day. And Amerish is getting its timezone pushed 12 hours from Indar so that when Indar is night players that hate the dark can go to Amerish for day light.

Give me a moment to look up the posts but Im certain that is what is going in live.
Old 2013-11-10, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
ringring
Contributor
General

I've argued against this whenever it has been raised. I just don't see the fun in not being able to see.

But, I'm not playing at present and I have no inclination to start again with the game as it is right now, soooo go ahead if you want.

If we get continental conquest I'd put that under the column titled 'Reasons to Download and Play'. If we are given nights I'd put that under the column 'Reasons to go for a walk in the woods and count squirrels'.
Old 2013-11-10, 05:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Calista
Second Lieutenant

I'd like to see a stat comparison on how many kills in the back, night vs. day. Actually I'd like to see how many shot in the back kill stats period. Low TTK and dark conditions is a campers dream but then again even in daylight it's still that in this game.
Old 2013-11-10, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

I mostly agree with what HereticusXZ said. ESPECIALLY the bit about nights not being dark enough.

As for what ringring said, I can easily add that I don't like everything being in plan view, which is what's putting me off this game currently with all the tags and hand holding and such. Darker nights will add that unknown factor back into the game and we'll still have day. It's not like we're making it night all the time.

Which brings us to Chewy. The whole night on one continent and day on another thing is a great idea. And seeing this is a planet in another galaxy with a different time zone and everything, how about one (real) day it's night then day and so on for one (real) day and then day and night (night when it's day and day when it's night) from the last (real) day. This way it will be day in the game at X real time on one (real) day and then night in the game at same X real time, giving everyone a chance to play in a different setting if they can only get on for so long each (real) day

Btw, an idea going around in my outfit is lib lights. That would be neat. And I'm going to stress again that nights need to be darker to give flash lights and NVG's some real use. Unfortunately people can just turn up their brightness in options which totally defeats the whole purpose of night and gives such people that do that an unfair advantage, forcing you to do the same or put up with them having an advantage to keep the surprise and immersion on your end. How would one develop a solution for that?

Last edited by Taramafor; 2013-11-10 at 06:05 PM.
Old 2013-11-10, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

I wonder what that means... "Content" is too vague of a term.

Extra types of weapon flshlights and custom nightvision colors is content.
Reduced/removed 3D spotting and reworked lighting model is also content.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-11-10, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
GreyFrog
Master Sergeant

Doesnt sound like they've addressed the concerns around gamma hacking. Leave night as it is till they have a solution that leaves an even playing field at night.
Old 2013-11-10, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Chewy
Major

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...-indar.156615/

"We've all been reading the feedback, and discussing our own impressions of the lighting changes on Indar over the last week. Some changes went in on Friday evening that I wanted to let simmer unannounced to see if there was any spontaneous reaction to before writing this all out.
The super dark nights on Indar have been backed down greatly. Instead, the super dark settings were kept only for when the main moon isn't visible in the sky. So just right after sunset and right before dawn. We felt the feedback was positive enough to leave it intact in one form or another. But what led us to back down from the initial changes is that it really requires too many backup systems to make it as fun as we want it. From reading everyone's feedback on the forums, the discussion focused more on how to add gameplay systems that complement the dark night. Since we don't have those systems now, putting in the super dark evenings will just be adding a feature lacking any complementary features to make it really shine and be fun for everyone.
To help compensate, we'll also be shifting the Amerish cycle 12 hours. So if evening just isn't your thing on Indar, it should be noon on Amerish (and vice versa). This should sneak it's way up to Live once all the OMFG stuff gets up there too. "

I kinda forgot to post this after dinner till now. It was good food.
Old 2013-11-11, 03:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Plaqueis
Staff Sergeant

I'm all for it, anything that gives infantry cover in this game is a good thing. I just hope people can't abuse it by changing GC/monitor settings...
Old 2013-11-11, 06:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Im not a fan but i can deal with it I guess.

I think its mostly going to favor vehicles with thermal.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion