Things you'd like to see in EQ Next? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: loves you
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion > EverQuest Next

Old 2013-02-12, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Wrel
Private

Things you'd like to see in EQ Next?

I've played neither EQ1 or 2, but I'm aware that it made a huge impact in the MMO world. So I'm wondering, what would you like to see in EQ Next, that wasn't in/could be improved upon from the earlier games?
Old 2013-02-12, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Things you'd like to see in EQ Next?

I played several characters into the 40's in EQ2. I found the game to be good over all, but only played here and there with a friend. Never was interested in joining a guild.

I would like to see a involved crafting like what EQ2 has now. I'm talking not having a automated crafting system that just spits out the item to you. I spent a lot of my doing crafting, since I was actually doing something with it. I never got into crafting in any other game as I just found it extremely boring due to the systems used.
Old 2013-02-12, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I curious to see what weird mutant flavor of sandbox SOE has in mind.

Old 2013-02-16, 09:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
artifice
Staff Sergeant

I am glad they are getting away from the themepark. My biggest hope is that there are absolutely no instances. I want a massive world that eclipses EQ1 in size.

Last edited by artifice; 2013-02-16 at 09:23 AM.
Old 2013-02-16, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
I played several characters into the 40's in EQ2. I found the game to be good over all, but only played here and there with a friend. Never was interested in joining a guild.

I would like to see a involved crafting like what EQ2 has now. I'm talking not having a automated crafting system that just spits out the item to you. I spent a lot of my doing crafting, since I was actually doing something with it. I never got into crafting in any other game as I just found it extremely boring due to the systems used.
EQ2 and WoW came out about the same time. I got into EQ2 over WoW, primarily due to the graphics difference but also the crafting system in EQ2 was much more involved.

When EQ2 first came out the crafting system was more involved then it is currently actually. There was interdependency between different crafting professions. To make a finished product different types of craft professions had to get sub-components from other types of crafting professions. So a crafter could make a living and build crafting level by grinding out sub-components and selling them on the market.

I also liked how the tiers in gear worked. Every ten levels an adventurer would benefit from getting newer gear. The crafter gear was better then what could be obtained at the in-game store therefore giving the weapon and armor crafters something to sell to other players for each tier. At the beginning of each tier, through about 5 levels, the crafted gear would be suitable and then the gear obtained from quests would be better then the crafter made gear, usually obtained in the later levels of the tier.

Always loved the crafted items that carpenters could make for the homes too (furniture and stuff)...

Another thing I really liked about EQ2 was they split the crafting and adventuring into two different professions for a single character. If you wanted, you could ignore adventuring and do straight crafting. Each tier level in crafting required you move to a different location that had higher level harvest nodes. But it didn't require that you level up your adventure level to harvest the nodes in the higher level tiers.

I do believe EQ2 and SWG had the most involved crafting systems in any MMO. Oh, Vanguard also has a pretty involved crafting system but I didn't play that one too much.

One thing I always thought should have been in EQ2 was PvP between good and evil races!

Last edited by Crator; 2013-02-16 at 04:39 PM.
Old 2013-03-07, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Crafting and diplomacy systems like Vanguard, but way better. And potion / beer brewing system (though alcohol manufacture / consumption makes it automatically M-rated I believe).

How you kill something should matter, fire wizards only get burnt and charred loot, club-wielding barbarians always get loot that is smashed and battered, etc. It should take a minor miracle for anything that isn't a powerful magical item to be destroyed in a battle, player or enemy.

Salvage system like AC2. Each item has a few options for what can be salvaged from it, and know how much of each they would get.

Different languages should grant different bonuses, and players have to actively play for a while to learn languages fully (no SWG share-a-language business, that was just a useless chore for new players) and coordinating with teammates using that language gives group bonuses.

I want to see it as an ACTION MMORPG. No standing next to an enemy to auto-attack, then mashing the number row and F key for all the spells and abilities and targeting macros. Ugh, nasty, primitive, an engine like Forgelight would be getting zero justice if players can't do left and right click combos to attack with their weapons in different ways. Look to DCUO, look to Vindictus, two great examples of how what gameplay for a modern MMORPG should feel like.
Old 2013-03-11, 02:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
MrVicchio
Contributor
Major General

Smaller servers and no ability to transfer/name change a toon.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion > EverQuest Next