Question about snipers - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: we're always here, unless we're gone
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-11-17, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Bartowski
Private

Question about snipers

So in the beta, i didn't really play much of the snipers, and if i did, it was the basic gun.

I was having a problem with the limited amount of time you could hold your breath, is there any cert i missed, or a way to make it so it lasts abit longer?

Also, i tried the Vanu, and was having a sniper battle at the end of the beta, for the life of me i couldn't get a 1shot kill from any of my head shots. Was i just not actually hitting the head? or can the Vanu's basic one not get a 1shot kill to the head? I know the TR is able to. Also, do the Vanu get a bolt action sniper?
Old 2012-11-17, 08:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
GrmlZ
Corporal

Re: Question about snipers

Wait,you can hold your breath in PS2?
Wow, i was already under the impression that sniping in ps is extremly easy, but that makes it even easier.

Gameplay footage // Dogfight Montages // Outfit play ect
http://www.youtube.com/user/GrmlZGaming
Old 2012-11-17, 08:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Bartowski
Private

Ur kidding right? Have you seen the amount of sway on the sniper lol? hitting a moving target with that sucks, especially far away
Old 2012-11-17, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Bartowski View Post
So in the beta, i didn't really play much of the snipers, and if i did, it was the basic gun.

I was having a problem with the limited amount of time you could hold your breath, is there any cert i missed, or a way to make it so it lasts abit longer?

Also, i tried the Vanu, and was having a sniper battle at the end of the beta, for the life of me i couldn't get a 1shot kill from any of my head shots. Was i just not actually hitting the head? or can the Vanu's basic one not get a 1shot kill to the head? I know the TR is able to. Also, do the Vanu get a bolt action sniper?
There's no cert to hold your breath longer.

You cannot kill in one head shot with the default VS sniper rifle (or any Semi Auto Sniper Rifle) on an undamaged target. You can get 2 or 3 shots in a single breath with these which is enough to kill, but there's little margin for error as the time is short.

You can purchase Bolt Action Sniper Rifles with certs or station cash, these will one shot kill with a headshot (albeit not on HA with shield up). For VS these are the XM98, V10, and Ghost.

Anyone with an ESF in their signature who says sniping is extremely easy is either a troll or a fool. Just ignore them Bartowski.
Old 2012-11-17, 10:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bartowski
Private

haha k, do the Bolt actions you can purchase reduce the sway by any amount? Im planing on buying a weapon for each class with station cash come launch haha.
Old 2012-11-17, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Bartowski View Post
haha k, do the Bolt actions you can purchase reduce the sway by any amount? Im planing on buying a weapon for each class with station cash come launch haha.
No the sway is going to be present in all the Sniper Rifles, it's more noticeable with stronger magnified scopes. Given the way Bolt Action Rifles work, the breathing is less of an issue, you can kill in one shot and have to rescope after a hit regardless... so, if done properly you should need to hold your breath less per kill than a semi auto.

The Scout Rifles have no sway, I've only tried the Artemis which is more like an SMG than anything, not sure about the Nyx as so few people have posted about it.

We've been told you can try weapons before you buy, so just test them out for yourself. The default VS semi auto sniper rifle isn't bad, I've used it to good effect a medium ranges, but prefer the XM98 or V10 used at max range where Infantry begin to render.
Old 2012-11-17, 11:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Bartowski
Private

ALright, thx. Is that "test before you buy" going to be in launch day?
Old 2012-11-18, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Schalla
Private

The default sniper of the Blue-Force (Forgot the name, freedom fighters) can oneshot ofc, since it's a bolt-sniper. The bullet drop is on high-distance also pretty much, but with a 12* Zoom Scope it was so much fun.

Sniping on high ranges is hard, thought. But if you get familar with it, you can rape MANY ppl
Old 2012-11-18, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
psijaka
Contributor
Major

Hah - wasn't even aware that you could hold your breath!

Weapon sway is just right, IMO; along with bullet travel time and ballistic drop - enough to make those long range headshots a real challenge.

And the default NC bolt action sniper is definately a one shot kill if you land the headshot.
Old 2012-11-19, 11:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Sniper sway pattern:

Seriously, it just goes back and forth.
Old 2012-11-20, 03:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Imij
Private

I'm not 100% sure, but I recall the developers saying they'll be adding (or at least looking at adding) certs to increase the amount of time you can hold your breath.
Old 2012-11-20, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
krakendoom
Private

I am sure the devs will add more certs as the game progesses. I found sniping mostly infectual even with the bolt action rifle. How ever a Nova Shotgun with a x4 scope and slug ammo was much more effective, so much so that I was out sniping both NC and TR infiltrators.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions