Frame Rate / Hardware Question For PS2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wait a minute, I thought you were the enemy
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions

Old 2012-11-18, 01:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Kensharma
Private

Frame Rate / Hardware Question For PS2

So, I am looking to do a PC upgrade to run planetside 2 a bit better then current.

I have an fx-4100, 8gb of ram and a 6870 currently.

Looking to upgrade to an i7 2600, keeping the rest the same.

Will this show great improvements in my fps? Right now in large fights at high I am around 10-20, which is unplayable.

Does anyone else have an i7 2600 + 6870? What frame rate are you getting?

Thanks;
Old 2012-11-19, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Tide
Private

Re: Frame Rate / Hardware Question For PS2

I've got an i7 2600, but with a 2GB 560 TI. I am able to run on nearly highest settings with 50+ FPS in big battles, i might consider looking at upgrading your graphic card as well. Sorry can't help you much since I don't exactly know if the processor will fix your performance.
Old 2012-11-19, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Unless you are getting the i7 for wicked cheap you would be looking at the Core i5 3XXX series from Intel based on Ivy Bridge. They are cheaper compared to the i7 and perform the same in games. If you are not overclocking the 3450 is the way to go or the 3570K for overclocking. You will notice a decent performance boost IMO.

What is your performance on the lower settings?
Old 2012-11-19, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Kensharma
Private

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Unless you are getting the i7 for wicked cheap you would be looking at the Core i5 3XXX series from Intel based on Ivy Bridge. They are cheaper compared to the i7 and perform the same in games. If you are not overclocking the 3450 is the way to go or the 3570K for overclocking. You will notice a decent performance boost IMO.

What is your performance on the lower settings?
Definitely shows improvement at low, just not ideal frame rates.

I am getting the 2600 @ $220, doesn't matter if I get the 3570k or the 2600 cause their both costing the same, so I figured might aswell get the 2600.

@ Other reply, the 560ti 1gb version is about the same performance as my 6870, so the 2gb version would be maybe 20% better. I should expect similar frame rates.

Last edited by Kensharma; 2012-11-19 at 04:00 PM.
Old 2012-11-22, 09:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
DovahTerran
Corporal

I'd say that above all, this game hogs your CPU. Having multiple cores actually doesn't really matter at this point. It (Planetside2.exe) is only a 32 bit program. It can't use more than 4 GB of ram anyway. And for some reason it isn't using all the core power of a quad-core computer. People have said that it only registers 50% usage on all four. If they fixed that and let Planetside eat up those extra percentages then you would likely see a nice increase. They gave us those extra requirements because I think (one day, please ) they'll make the switch to x64 and all of you people with fancy i7's and those new GTX 690s will actually get your pay's worth of dead Vanu. Until then, just try to do some self-optimization with useroptions.ini and your video driver settings. Turning off all antialiasing for Planetside2.exe should give you a few frames boost, for a start.
Old 2012-11-22, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
Gortha
First Sergeant

i5 2500k or i5 3570k and overclock to the max.

Ati/AMD 6950 to 7970 and you are fine...

http://z0r.de/1573

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 New Player Questions