Question on FOV - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Manufactured on a computer that processes peanuts.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

View Poll Results: Want a menu option to select FOV?
Yes 51 62.20%
No 31 37.80%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2002-12-21, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

What he's saying is that YOU will have an ADVANTAGE if you have a greater FOV then him. Having a large FOV screws up your view, though, making it less fun for people who want things to look proportionate and correct. But to compensate for your ADVANTAGE he will have to make the game less fun for himself.
Old 2002-12-21, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Hatte
Corporal

What i ment was how was he to know if i have changed my FOV to say 110(which i use in every other fps i play), IF he wants to have some unknown advantage, he can go right ahead and change his FOV too. Thats the thing about customization, everyone can have it their own way.
Old 2002-12-21, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
�io
Lieutenant General

It's not about knowing the other person's FOV it's about how FOV can mean one person sees the enemy beside him and the other won't.

Anywhoo the dev's will figure it out.
Old 2002-12-21, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

Leave it to those craizee devs to make a great game.
Old 2002-12-21, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
snipe
Corporal

changing the FOV will get out of control, and they should have everyone be the same
Old 2002-12-21, 03:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
phadE
Corporal

in every fps ive ever played changing your fov was NEVER considered a cheat by the competitive community. Ive always played at 110 fov. It does give me a slight viewable area advantage. but in contrast with a higher fov the models appear to move across the screen faster. thus making it harder to hit them. The idea that switching ypur fov is cheating is just rediculous. If you think by just upping your fov you suddenly will be a killing machine dont fool yourself. It wont happen. A player thats better then you with a 60fov will probably kill you just as easily as one with a 120.

www.insolentinternet.com
Old 2002-12-21, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
�io
Lieutenant General

Of course it won't make you a killing machine but it will give you an advantage nevertheless, you said so.

And i don't get what's so bad about 90 FOV. Anyway just like 90% of the game the devs will decide and it will be a good choice.
Old 2002-12-21, 03:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

I've never understood why people would like it anyway. If you have mouselook on, it's just a slight wrist motion to the left or right.
Old 2002-12-21, 03:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
�io
Lieutenant General

Hey moving that wrist can be hard after playing 7 hours straight!
Old 2002-12-21, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

As long as the chair doubles as a toilet, I think we'd manage.
Old 2002-12-21, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
phadE
Corporal

Originally posted by Dio
Of course it won't make you a killing machine but it will give you an advantage nevertheless, you said so.

And i don't get what's so bad about 90 FOV. Anyway just like 90% of the game the devs will decide and it will be a good choice.
you neglected to mention the disadvantage of uisng a high fov. enemy models appear to move faster. Just because you dont use or cant understand why i would want to use a different fov doesnt mean anything. I prefer to use it because it "feels" more right to me. I dont need a gui selectionm just a simple ini tweak.

They could also make it an implant. At 1st you would probably see tons of people flock to it (thinking it would give them an advantage). Then within month a or 2 I doubt, more then 2-3 % of players would even use it.

I say we should also lock the resoultion cause that gives the higher res people an unfair advantage. Also why not require everyone have the same vid card. Cant have someone getting more fps then others................

www.insolentinternet.com

Last edited by phadE; 2002-12-21 at 03:54 PM.
Old 2002-12-21, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Xtc
Private

I say we should also lock the resoultion cause that gives the higher res people an unfair advantage. Also why not require everyone have the same vid card. Cant have someone getting more fps then others................

i dont find that "unfair"...
plz tell me why.
Old 2002-12-21, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
phadE
Corporal

i could argue that me getting 60fps and you only getting 25fps, gives me an unfair advantage. While you are trying to aim in a choopy mess, my aim will not be effected.

While i dont think it unfair. You see how this argument is just over personal preferrence not because of a perceived advantage.

www.insolentinternet.com
Old 2002-12-21, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Zarparchior
Dragoon Admiral

How is changing your resolution giving you an advantage? It'll make everything look better and (in theory) the windows smaller in your HUD. Since the HUD is customizable, you can get rid of any windows you don't feel are necessary defeating the argument that the smaller windows would allow and advantage. And for your fps, it entirely depends on your computer specs and the options you have available. That cannot be changed by the devs. Your FOV can.

And how can you NOT say that being able to see enemies "out of the corner of your eye" is not an advantage? Does it screw up your models of how they look? Yeah. Is it wild/wacky/weird? Yeah. If you get used to it, would you be a more effective FPS player? Yeah.

Case
Old 2002-12-21, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
�io
Lieutenant General

Originally posted by Zarparchior
Case

Edit: Oh yeah and with that said i become a l33t whore. W00t! ^-^
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion