Squad Spawn debate - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Bad cop. No donut.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-14, 08:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
bigcracker
Sergeant Major

Squad Spawn debate

I play a lot of FPS and squad spawning yes it's a good thing,But is it right for planetside 2? Imo if it's like battlefield series then no,If you can spawn on a Squad leader what would be the point of getting a full squad into a galaxy or apc and taking the risk?What we are gonna see is people taking fast fighters jumping out, hitting the ground and have a spawnbomb (BF2) on that person asoon as he hits the ground,Or kill a max suit and just re-spawn 30seconds latter next to his squadleader to rush the same hallway again.SO Here is some ideas I have for squad spawning take them as you like.

Squad Beacon
- Squad Leader places a beacon that has to be guarded
- Cost resources to deploy
- Beacon acts sort of like TF2 Only allows 3-4 solders to re-spawn then goes through a cool down.
- Only certain types of classes allowed to spawn on the beacon
- Beacon can be upgraded with defensive LMG, but as a down side lowers the amount of soldiers that can spawn on it over time and its overall health is decreased.
-Beacon can be upgraded with a shield generator surrounding it so squad members can spawn in safe but can not fire from inside the bubble.Enemy units can pass through the shield to destroy the beacon or fire on the shield enough to disable the shield.

Last edited by bigcracker; 2012-03-14 at 08:42 PM.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
WiteBeam
Second Lieutenant

Re: Squad Spawn debate

I like your idea about only certain types of classes would be able to spawn. That would keep heavies and MAXes from making it an overkill issue.

Or they can bring the AMS back.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Stardouser
Colonel

Well, there needs to be some kind of limitation on squads, ie you can't change the squad leader more than once per minute or something, and that way, the squad leader will need to stay back a bit, because if he dies, he has to walk all the way back. And since he will be staying back, every time someone respawns, they have to walk a bit.
Old 2012-03-14, 08:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
SurgeonX
Staff Sergeant

Yeah, I'm not sure about Squad spawning for PS2 either.
I can see why it is in there for the BF series, and it is a valuable tactic.
But you're right, it takes away a bit from dropping back and hot dropping from a Gal.

The beacon is an interesting idea though.
If you could automatically recall everyone back to a beacon, like you can at the mo, then it would be useful as a staging point.

Want to browse through hundreds of PlanetSide 2 images?
Or just see what Higby eats for lunch?
Then click here
Old 2012-03-14, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Conq
Staff Sergeant

Last squad spawn thread I read, someone linked an interview confirming that squad spawning was out doors only and via drop pod only.

Assuming that holds true, I have no concerns about it being a horror like in Battlefield.

EDIT: And SurgeonX, I hate your signature. Get that purple off a my logo!

Last edited by Conq; 2012-03-14 at 09:19 PM.
Old 2012-03-14, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by Conq View Post
Last squad spawn thread I read, someone linked a quote confirming that squad spawning was out doors only and via drop pod only.

Assuming that holds true, I have no concerns about it being a horror like in Battlefield.

EDIT: And SurgeonX, I hate your signature. Get that purple off a my logo!
People are blowing Squad Spawning completely out of proportion. Like Conq said, only outdoors and only from a drop pod. There are very likely more limitations on top of that. I will continue to be adamant that there's probably going to be a limit on how close to a base you can use this (similar to how you couldn't droppod inside an enemy SOI in the original). There's also very likely a much longer cooldown on spawning on your squad leader.
Old 2012-03-14, 09:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Stardouser
Colonel

Hmmm...so if you spawn as a drop pod on your leader, will it be right over his head? Always? If so, that tells the enemy where your squad is, I guess.
Old 2012-03-14, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Brusi
Contributor
Major

As well as needing the cert points in the leadership tree...

I'm just hoping that the drop pods will be more like WH40K than the original Planetside drop pods

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2012-03-14, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Unforgiven
Corporal

Personally, im completely against squad spawning, it takes a lot away from the support roles.

No need for a medic really, because you know that when you die, you can just respawn right where you were, but with all your ammo, and full health back....no thanks.

Not to mention that Galaxy pilots recieve EXP when someone who used their services gets a kill or capture. if they can spawn without a gal, than whats the attraction to be a gal pilot...cause your not gonna gain levels.
Old 2012-03-14, 10:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Personally, im completely against squad spawning, it takes a lot away from the support roles.

No need for a medic really, because you know that when you die, you can just respawn right where you were, but with all your ammo, and full health back....no thanks.

Not to mention that Galaxy pilots recieve EXP when someone who used their services gets a kill or capture. if they can spawn without a gal, than whats the attraction to be a gal pilot...cause your not gonna gain levels.
I'm assuming there are going to be ways to wipe squads out. I assume SL can respawn at the Galaxies?
Old 2012-03-15, 01:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Everyone's also forgetting the longer respawn timer that's going to be on drop pods as opposed to other spawns. Half the time it's going to be quicker for you to respawn on your galaxy and run to your leader anyway.

Also, people need to check what the mechanic is before starting threads. Or at least do a search, squad spawns have been covered in tonnes of threads.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-15, 02:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by bigcracker View Post
I play a lot of FPS and squad spawning yes it's a good thing
I heavily disagree.

It trivializes dying. Dying should be an inconvenience, and take you out of the fight for some time. Either in spawn timer, or having to travel back to the fight.

You die with squad spawning? Big freaking whoop, you're back and fighting in 10 seconds.

This goes for every game.
Old 2012-03-15, 02:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Shade Millith View Post
I heavily disagree.

It trivializes dying. Dying should be an inconvenience, and take you out of the fight for some time. Either in spawn timer, or having to travel back to the fight.

You die with squad spawning? Big freaking whoop, you're back and fighting in 10 seconds.

This goes for every game.
But squad spawning has a 30 - 45 second respawn according to higby...
Old 2012-03-15, 02:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
But squad spawning has a 30 - 45 second respawn according to higby...
I was refering to squad spawning in general.

And I'm someone who believes that dying should remove you from the fight, for a good period of time. 30 seconds isn't a 'good amount of time'. I'd rather 1-3 minutes. From what I've heard, the only limitation is 'Outdoor's'.

Well what about outside in the middle of the base?

I'm hoping that the end product uses a Base SOI system, just like PS1. Drop Pods cannot drop within a bases SOI. You want to get into that base, you good get in from outside.
Old 2012-03-15, 03:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Bags
Lieutenant General

No one would push in on a base with multiple minute respawn.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion