Playername reservation - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: <--- Insert penis here.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-20, 12:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Stardouser
Colonel

Playername reservation

Perhaps a bit early, but that simply means this topic can be discussed before anything goes wrong.

Are playernames going to be unique to all of Planetside, unique to each server, unique to each empire/server, perhaps even not unique at all(ie, more than one player of the same name can exist)?

And if there is unique naming, will there be an early reservation process? Will character names of closed beta get wiped to allow for an even playing ground when open beta begins?
Old 2012-04-20, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ItsTheSheppy
Second Lieutenant

Re: Playername reservation

I've only heard some vague mutterings about PS1 vets being able to reserve their names, but I don't know much more than that.
Old 2012-04-20, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
MgFalcon
Captain

Higby said during an AGN Broadcast that the bonus of being a Veteran would be name reservation. There has been no official word as of yet.
Old 2012-04-20, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by MgFalcon View Post
Higby said during an AGN Broadcast that the bonus of being a Veteran would be name reservation. There has been no official word as of yet.
Any chance you know which broadcast that was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-04-20, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

We are still looking into this but will absolutely announce any initiative regarding name reservation. It has certainly come up a few times.
Old 2012-04-20, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Will our account just transfer? ( and all the names, of course )

That would be lovely.
Old 2012-04-20, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Will our account just transfer? ( and all the names, of course )

That would be lovely.
It might be complicated.

We don't know whether new ps2 accounts will have multiple characters and we think it will be only one character per server.
Old 2012-04-20, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
We are still looking into this but will absolutely announce any initiative regarding name reservation. It has certainly come up a few times.
Simple way: pull your PS database, flag all those character names only useable for the correct account, keep this for a month or two after release. Plenty of time to take your name again, and after a while, all names are free again.
Old 2012-04-20, 12:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
It might be complicated.

We don't know whether new ps2 accounts will have multiple characters and we think it will be only one character per server.
And don't forget that there were a lot of cool names that were reserved the first day or month Planetside was out that have never played since. It would be nice if we were given a clean slate for those with the will to grab their preferred Nicknames(aka Geist is already taken on Planetside 1 )
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-04-20, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Stardouser
Colonel

Are you able to say whether character names are unique to all of PS2 (ie, only one "Stardouser" across ALL servers) or unique to each individual server, like most MMOs?

I'm kind of guessing they are unique to the whole game regardless of server, based on the expectations people are shooting around for veteran reservations.
Old 2012-04-20, 01:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

that would be awesome if they allowed the vets to keep theirs.

I haven't been able to get Kurtz in a game since 2003.
Old 2012-04-20, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Name reservations would be great. Hold them for a month before releasing them imo.

Old 2012-04-20, 01:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Ale
Corporal

In PS1 names were server specific.

Which brings me to my point: What if you never actually had the username that everyone knows you by? Speaking for the people with -K, -M and -J suffixes, and the people who used capital "I" in place of lowercase "L"s because the name they had was taken by a non-active account post merge?

Last edited by Ale; 2012-04-20 at 01:35 PM.
Old 2012-04-20, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
EVILPIG
Contributor
Colonel

The GDC demo showed a character selection screen. That could change. I would be for a universal ID, where your name would be the same now matter what empire you played. Multiple characters are not necessary since you will be working on progress towards all roles on your avatar. However, they could have a character per empire, if they decide to allow multiple empires per account per server.

As for name reservations, it's a lot more complicated than just taking the data from PS1 and giving you those names. PS1 went through server merges and the Werner characters would be reserved for the European service, not the North American server. Then you have the issue of how many servers there will be. Will it be one server for NA? NA West and NA East? Or multiple Western and Eastern NA servers? Same for the Euro service.

www.planetside-devildogs.com
Old 2012-04-20, 01:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Machine
Corporal

Talking Re: Playername reservation

Cheers!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion