Squad Spawn debate - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Who wants to see my "Lan Cable"
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-18, 01:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Re: Squad Spawn debate

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Just wanted to make clear for anyone who doesn't know, the crazier "spawn on anyone" is a BC2/BF3 thing. Over at Mordor we rally against this kind of thing daily as BF begins its descent down the toilet bowl whirlpool.

Exactly how obvious are drop pods? How high of a mountain does your SL have to hide behind before it will obscure it from the enemy?
As it was implemented in Planetside, VERY obvious, they streaked from the sky shining with fire and then landed, then let the occupant out.

If you dropped in a poor location you had 4 planes just waiting you nab your kill when that pod opened.

Last edited by RedKnights; 2012-03-18 at 01:12 PM.
Old 2012-03-18, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

As usual, a bunch of people judging and attempting to tweak to their satisfaction, a system they know very little about and have not seen in action.

I think we should wait till BETA to adjust, tweak, speculate or judge the spawn system.

As usual, I believe the PS2 team is on top of it and won't make us use a system we all hate.
Old 2012-03-18, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Exactly how obvious are drop pods? How high of a mountain does your SL have to hide behind before it will obscure it from the enemy?
Drop Pods like the HART in PS1 tended to not be used that much en mass. When they were spotted, it would often mean there was a tank or aircraft waiting at the landing zone. They were only possible in the open field and they have been used for sneak attacks on the backdoors of facilities.

It all depended on whether you dropped somewhere where the enemy was watching or not. Either way, after a pod dropped, you still had a few miles to move on foot and there was ample opportunity to shoot a person who dropped in.

So as long as it's only in the field, it's not a big deal.

I'm just wondering how the smash stuff on landing is going to be useful. Squad leader would have to be an infil next to a ridge of snipers or something in order to do anything I suppose.

But yes, what ws described earlier is why people want a certain measure of "control" over it (see rules).
Old 2012-03-18, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Stardouser
Colonel

I actually believe that even a desire not have squad spawn work indoors or other places is premature. I will of course wait for Beta to truly see if that is a point that needs to be driven home.
Old 2012-03-18, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
People are blowing Squad Spawning completely out of proportion. Like Conq said, only outdoors and only from a drop pod. There are very likely more limitations on top of that. I will continue to be adamant that there's probably going to be a limit on how close to a base you can use this (similar to how you couldn't droppod inside an enemy SOI in the original). There's also very likely a much longer cooldown on spawning on your squad leader.

agreed!!!! they will have to give up something to have squad spawning ,weather its a os and squad buffs or something else.

people thinking ps2 and ps1 are going to be the same are just way off base. everything will have pros and cons. you want a mod to shoot faster, then your cof is gonna be bigger , you want a jetpack as a sniper then you cant cloak. just because a class can get something dose not mean everyone will have it.
Old 2012-03-18, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Shade Millith
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rumblepit View Post
agreed!!!! they will have to give up something to have squad spawning ,weather its a os and squad buffs or something else.

people thinking ps2 and ps1 are going to be the same are just way off base. everything will have pros and cons. you want a mod to shoot faster, then your cof is gonna be bigger , you want a jetpack as a sniper then you cant cloak. just because a class can get something dose not mean everyone will have it.
In my opinion, it's not enough that the Squad leader gives up something. The soldiers coming in need to give up something as well. Time, resources, limit to where they can spawn in.

I've heard 45 seconds to use and I guess that's ok, but I'd be much happier if it was not possible to squad spawn within the area of a base. "Not indoors" isn't really enough for me.
Old 2012-03-18, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Shade Millith View Post
In my opinion, it's not enough that the Squad leader gives up something. The soldiers coming in need to give up something as well. Time, resources, limit to where they can spawn in.

I've heard 45 seconds to use and I guess that's ok, but I'd be much happier if it was not possible to squad spawn within the area of a base. "Not indoors" isn't really enough for me.
How is it not enough for you? How are you making these judgements with absolutely zero experience of how it will be, how it will effect gameplay and what the overall effect on the tempo is going to be?

Wait til beta, then give this feedback.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-19, 12:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
NCLynx
Major

Originally Posted by NCLynx View Post
People are blowing Squad Spawning completely out of proportion. Like Conq said, only outdoors and only from a drop pod. There are very likely more limitations on top of that. I will continue to be adamant that there's probably going to be a limit on how close to a base you can use this (similar to how you couldn't droppod inside an enemy SOI in the original). There's also very likely a much longer cooldown on spawning on your squad leader.
Quoting myself cause I can.

SuperTroopers is recruiting for PS2!
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Really? You need to take a few steps back and think before posting drivel like this. Either reply constructively or don't reply.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Chrispin
Corporal

I'm sure there will be a lot of limitations for squad spawning. Maybe engineers could use resources to build a special jammer that encompasses a large area and prevents pods from dropping down there. It would act as a nice search and destroy objective for squad leaders.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Chrispin View Post
I'm sure there will be a lot of limitations for squad spawning. Maybe engineers could use resources to build a special jammer that encompasses a large area and prevents pods from dropping down there. It would act as a nice search and destroy objective for squad leaders.
This is the best post that has come from this thread.

Make it happen SOE.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-19, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Chrispin View Post
Maybe engineers could use resources to build a special jammer that encompasses a large area and prevents pods from dropping down there. It would act as a nice search and destroy objective for squad leaders.
I like this idea a lot.
Old 2012-03-19, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
CutterJohn
Colonel

Just let AA target the pods.
Old 2012-03-19, 09:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

This was already solved in Section 8rejudice
Old 2012-03-19, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Wrong thread sorry.
Old 2012-03-19, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
How is it not enough for you? How are you making these judgements with absolutely zero experience of how it will be, how it will effect gameplay and what the overall effect on the tempo is going to be?

Wait til beta, then give this feedback.
I have to say I envy you guys a bit because you have reason to have faith that the devs will actually make serious design changes.

With Battlefield, once beta hits, it takes an act of God to get anything other than attachment balance changes, as far as design decisions go they don't want to change anything.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion